Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: What's your music choice?  (Read 24271 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: What's your music choice?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 04:35:03 pm »

i like pop and most other forms of music, just not other forms of music morphing to pop.
for example;
Michael jackson=pop. just fine
de la soul=rap. just fine
black eyed peas=poprap. butt pee
johnny cash=country. just fine
shania twain=countypop. butt pee
bad religion=punk. just fine
blink 182=punkpop. butt pee
Sizzla=reggae. just fine
shaggy=popreggae. butt pee

make sense?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 04:36:45 pm »

I've come to associate DF with, of all things, sugary j-pop.  There are a couple of songs I got hooked on that remind me of particular forts for some reason.  So now I mostly listen to a variety of J-pop/J-rock while I play DF.  (I've Sound, Yui, Rie Fu, various anime OST...)

There was never really connection in the first place, but now I've been classically conditioned to associate the two.  I hear the Bleach intro and before I know it, I'm trying to dig a fortress.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 04:38:35 pm »

Really? For some reason, I've got a similar reaction to One Piece.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 04:48:33 pm »

also, i feel this thread is appropriate for me to re-post this song
http://soundcloud.com/user5150720/diamonds-in-the-rough
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 04:49:59 pm »

I find the 'Dance of the Prince & the Sugar Plum Fairy' from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker particularly hilarious.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 04:56:49 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 05:46:15 pm »

anything related to tecno :D

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 07:01:10 pm »

I actually grew to like the default music (which is neither a mandolin nor an acoustic guitar, but a classical guitar, and I have to be pedantic about that because I'm a musician who plays all of those and is acutely aware of the differences even if they seem trivial to the philistines normal folks), but when I'm not in the mood for it I play Harry Partch in the background. It's what I imagine dwarven music sounds like.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 08:49:42 pm »

(which is neither a mandolin nor an acoustic guitar, but a classical guitar, and I have to be pedantic about that because I'm a musician who plays all of those and is acutely aware of the differences even if they seem trivial to the philistines normal folks)

Ah, thank you for the clarification.  I somehow felt "acoustic guitar" wasn't quite accurate.  Now I know why. :D

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

Glad to know I didn't offend you with my musician pedantry! The differences really are crucial -- the structure and materials of the guitar itself are different, and the strings are very different. Acoustic guitar strings are made with steel, nickel, and/or bronze (depending on what kind you get), while classical guitar strings are made of nylon (or catgut, but hardly anybody does that anymore) and silver. They're quieter but more responsive and capable of more nuance than acoustic strings. If you try to put acoustic strings on a classical guitar, the tension will rip it apart. You can put classical strings on an acoustic, but they won't resonate properly due to the difference in the guitar's materials and structure.

I prefer acoustics, though. Even when I play in a classical style. I like their loudness and sustain, and their higher string tension feels more satisfying under my fingers.

God, I'm a nerd.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:00:39 pm by Marshall Burns »
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 09:14:39 pm »

I occasionally have a mix of rock and metal on. But on most days i actually have a playlist called DWARVEN DRINKING SONGS. It has a mix of pirate metal, power metal, folk rock (about how great beards are- The Beards are amazing) and some more general badassery.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 09:43:35 pm »

I made a playlist for DF with lots of sludge metal, metal metal, some dub. Generally music with a clanky sound or cheesy death metal: Melvins, Dethklok, Depresy, Scorn, Kaizer's Orchestra, Einsturzende Neubauten. Things.

And the free-for-download string quartet soundtrack to Arcanum.

So, I usually turn on the radio and let it run, usually some sort of alternative/pop stuff.  It's a college radio station so they play whatever they please.

You?

Much the same for me, we have a ton of independent radio stations in the SF bay area. Sometimes it's freakishly weird, but I love it. Anyone ever listen to Negativland? They have an awesome radio show called Over the Edge that broadcasts out of Berkley. It's all user generated, they call it collaborative radio or something. It's kind of like being in a crazy person's head for a second.

Negativland is fantastic. They make some hilarious sound collage stuff, plus they were friends with the Portland radio station I volunteered at. We had all their recordings.

brofist.jpg

Rammstein  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp9z-9RdwwM

Sonne is a great song for DF, cuz the video.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:33:51 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Walton Simons

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALEVOLENT_BUREAUCRAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 10:24:09 pm »

Mostly Toccata & Fugue in D (Organ), Various Harpsichord pieces by Bach, Handel and others, and Russian folk music.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 01:23:19 am »

usually TV or classic rock, unless sieges. Then?
Yakkity Sax.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 01:25:34 am »

The Conan soundtrack is amazing in pretty much every situation. All the better when it's a fantasy game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16