Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: What's your music choice?  (Read 24265 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: What's your music choice?
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2011, 08:58:03 pm »

If I have any music playing, it's usually my rock/celtic/celtic rock mix - but I've got a ton of tracks in those genres, so that's not really unique to playing dwarf fortress.

Oddly, I find the opening track from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind to be good DF music too.  That might be from the association, the slow pan over a tapestry (engraving?  I can't remember if it was a tapestry or mosaic and am too lazy to plug up my DVD) depicting ancient disaster placed against very pretty music.  I guess that might sum up an "average" DF experience: peaceful, secure, and productive until utter destruction by fire and war ensues.  Now I want to mod in a Giant Warror/God Warrior megabeast. or start a challenge above-ground embark pinned between a coast and an evil forest/jungle... blargh.

Fire Emblem music isn't bad either, but I swear it makes me more protective of my expendable militia dwarves if it's playing while there's a fight on.

Oh man, thank you for reminding me of the Nausicaa OST!  Adding that into the mix now... 

So far what I usually use is a modified SoundSense so I can have different songs linked to different seasons.  It helps with setting the atmosphere, plus keeps me from having to check the z-stocks screen all the time just to see what season it is. 

I have mostly light instrumental stuff in there, some Andy McKee,  some Shugo Tokumaru, a little Amiina, some good ol' Donkey Kong Country music, other game tracks, etc., sorted with the slower things in Winter, upbeat in Summer and so on.  Some fit better with a cavern setting, some make sense in a forest, but I think I cover most of the bases.  I do need to add more in there though to keep it from getting repetitive.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2011, 10:07:55 pm »

Ah, i loved DKC2's Bramble Blast/Stickerwood Symphony song. I prefer the one from the SNES, that SPC700 really could crank out awesome sounds.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2011, 10:14:13 pm »

More Homestuck: This time with 100% more siege!
There are even dogs barking at one point if you listen carefully, to go with your masses of war dogs.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2011, 10:21:27 pm »

Going along with the DKC2 stuff, have a look at this for a good calm time in your dorf's lives.
Suits my fort Zalisiden very well at the moment. Stable food supply, stable alcohol, huge farm, more or less completely self-sustaining. At peace with Humans, Elves, Goblins (!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeyiQ7HOMmw

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2011, 11:31:54 pm »

I'm a big fan of the London Symphony, and their album of Led Zepplin is magical for playing Dwarf Fortress.

Here is a sample of Kashmir, my second favorite song on the album and my favorite walking around town song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40VHWM1dUbU

I can put this album on repeat and lose hours of my life...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:37:08 pm by Mechanixm »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2011, 04:43:50 am »

Anything and everything from 'Two Steps from Hell'

Seriously, check it out. Even the soap-makers idling their lives away looks epic with these songs playing full blast.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2011, 04:21:15 pm »

"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2011, 04:38:50 pm »

I'm usually listening to anything by Running Wild, randomized, just because it doesn't matter what I'm doing, I love their music.

Though when a new episode of the podcast Wha-Chow! comes up, I'll listen to that while I play. If you don't know what Wha-Chow is, do yourself a favor and don't find out. If you do know, do you also know if there's a support group for people like us?

Lordofd511

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2011, 05:13:37 pm »

Default music, no tileset, no items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 24, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »

Something by Erik Satie or Phillipe Sarde. The Soundtrack from Le Locataire is my latest discovery.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCoy8XMTvk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgc8yFvJrJE&feature=related

By the way, don't listen to them unless you're prepared to stay up for a while.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2011, 04:12:09 pm »

Typically I go with whatever soundsense decides to play, but recently I've been playing random songs from Chrono Trigger while I play.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2011, 10:00:04 pm »

For battles that I have a near-zero chance of winning:

Mysterious Girl/Maenad theme from FF4AY.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2011, 10:03:45 pm »

DF default sounds:Off

background:Whatever the hell comes on random. or the TV
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2011, 10:06:46 pm »

Either Pink Floyd or old soviet music

Fuck I'm weird.
Hello Hunam
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16