Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Make up fake cheats.  (Read 7936 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Make up fake cheats.
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 03:09:36 pm »

By default, elves won't mood.  There's a token for that though, it's easy.

As for happiness, just waterfall them and ignore.  That pretty much cures ALL unhappiness, even failed moods and murder.  The birthrate should allow for these rare instances to be outweighed and keep positive population.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 03:16:22 pm »

By default, elves won't mood.  There's a token for that though, it's easy.

As for happiness, just waterfall them and ignore.  That pretty much cures ALL unhappiness, even failed moods and murder.  The birthrate should allow for these rare instances to be outweighed and keep positive population.

Now I know what to do with my 7-year fort that I'm currently running out of room to do stuff with.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 03:16:22 pm »

Unless an elf goes berzerk and somehow manages to murder your entire population. This would still make him a survivor, but if the planets align and you're wearing your special hat and it's sunday morning, he would bleed out from injuries sustained. This would be worthy enough to put in the unlikely-events record book, though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »

Keep military on patrol, preferably "defend burrow" or "patrol" around the fort.  One soldier with a wooden sword -should- be enough to tackle any berzerk mooders.  Unless the soldier himself moods...

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:34 pm »

Too tired while double-editing, forgot what this post originally had.. some faulty math  :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:44:19 pm by SlimyMarmot »

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 03:31:33 pm »

Even if you were to start with millions of cloth, you can still pick your growth rate at will, so you will always be able to pick low enough to keep it at the same amount.

Let's just assume you meant exponential with a growth rate of at least 2, so the cheat holds. I apologize for being too nitpicky.

As for actually getting the 100 years without having to pay attention, if you use what I said earlier, it might be possible. Only keep the same sex to avoid offspring, and only use already-mooded citizens. You'd have to kill off any immigrants, but I think it's certainly possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 03:42:15 pm »

Wait, why are children bad?  They should counterbalance any mood-related deaths or (more likely) !!Justice!! related.  With a suitably sized farmland, you could support whatever population the breeders throw at you.  Individual bedrooms and lack of meeting hall will help lower population rate too though.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »

I apologize for being too nitpicky.

No problem, I was kind of sloppy out of fatigue, I figured people generally got the idea. Never tread lightly around Bay 12, eh  :P?

...Let's say the growth rate is your population number, that'll make the whole survival aspect more interesting.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 03:48:39 pm »

That inspires me to a new challenge fort.  Max Pop.  Grow your population as high as you possibly can, preferably with a migration limit fairly low, like 20 or less.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 03:50:42 pm »

IKEA: Makes all furniture construction instant, but always of -quality-.

CHEESE STEAK JIMMIE'S: 1,000 masterful Dwarven Cheese roasts appear.

MOST INTERESTING DWARF IN THE FORT: 1,000 horse leather flasks full of Dwarven Beer appear.

ACTUALLY MY ARM IS A BIT BRUISED: Armok visits your fort. It's not pretty.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 03:51:17 pm »

Children could be bad because they are able to mood, and hence cause destruction. And since people can only mood once in their lives, having an entirely-mooded entirely-male/female population with a few farms would be pretty much 100% safe. Adding in the export thing becomes more difficult, but still not unfeasable, since the amount of rope reed seeds rises a lot.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 03:57:27 pm »

Actually, I've recently been told that seeds cap at 200 per plant, so the fort will only ever have 200 rope reed seeds.  There's another issue with that though, which is getting the plant growth rate to be equal or higher than the processing rate.  Artificial clutter may be needed, like un-stockpiled wool and barrels of syrup, only there to cause clutter and slow down the processing rate.

I'm actually now talking more about a no-player fort, rather than the original "elf cloth" fort.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »

Exponential growth makes sure your average computer wouldn't even be able to store a level with that amount of rope reed, so I suppose it's more about survival without supervision now, indeed.

I suppose it would be possible to create one brewery with Brew Drink/R, and then create enough farms to supply this constantly. This would mean planting the farms at a constant rate to avoid running dry, and still having enough to get the food needed as well. Brewing gets you 1 or more seeds according to the wiki, so that will likely not be a problem. Wether or not 200 seeds is enough to feed and fuel a state like this for any length of time is the question, though you can also add other plants into the mix.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

Exponential growth makes sure your average computer wouldn't even be able to store a level with that amount of rope reed

At last, we begin to understand the true hardships of elven life.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »

It's also technically impossible.  The modern keyboard only recognizes like 3-4 simultaneous keys.  Any pressed after that are ignored.

Actually, that's only true of normal keyboards.  I paid way too much for the Monster Cable of gaming keyboards, but one of the key features of the keyboard I'm using right now is that there is *no* ghosting (so long as you use PS/2, which is better than USB for keyboards in ways most people will never have any reason to care about because USB is a lot easier in other ways).

One of the key features is that you can press *every* *single* *key* at once.  Yes, that's overkill.  Massive overkill.  But it's somehow fitting to play Dwarf Fortress with it.  And it does work.  I have tested it.  Actually, it can be annoying if you just pound the keyboard:  you end up opening windows help, the find files or folders thingy and who knows what else.

So... I'm the only person here who can win DF?  And it required an insanely expensive and massively over-engineered keyboard when a much simpler and cheaper one would have sufficed for any normal person?  How dwarfy!
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5