Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I fix "no path" spam?  (Read 1386 times)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I fix "no path" spam?
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:12:20 am »

I'm completely out of ideas. I have hunters who claim they can't hunt because there's no path (there is), a cook who can't cook because there's no path (ugh), and even worse, a woodcutter who claims he can't drink because - yet again - no path.

The woodcutter is standing on the food stockpile. There is a barrel of food underneath him. He still can't find a path.

I am unable to reach into my PC and strangle him into submission. Does anybody have a workaround?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I fix "no path" spam?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:14:04 am »

While it is not possible to reach in and strangle them, magma is a close second.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:18:32 am »

Urist McARMOKWILLKILLYOU cancels pump magma: Could not find path.

Also, he's on my food/booze stockpile. While magma is awesome, it would be mitigated by the not-quite-awesomeness of having no booze.

Because... booze.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:22:22 am »

Maybe thew food stockpile door is... closed?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 02:42:36 am »

Do you have any burrows? Dwarves do not do jobs outside of burrows.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:55:34 am »

Food stockpile is not closed; the dwarf is literally standing on top of it. (Well, next to it.)

And I don't have any burrows.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:34:18 am »

Remember o curious ones, when building a workshop the dark green areas mean that part is impassable while the light green means OK-GO! Sometimes when little forts start getting packed to the brim with craftshops, carpenter huts and masonries, your subordinates refuse working in certain workshops because all that light green is shoved into a corner, surrounded by evil dark green parts... Your subordinates don't like this. They really like to do your bidding so in a desperate grab for attention they start shouting how their workplaces are unreachable. Unfortunately like little toddlers they can scream and cry to make sure you know something is wrong but they aren't able to make a coherent argument, let alone point you in the direction of the workplace that seems to irk them so with its unreachable status. So like a good parent you can check if baby did a poopoo or if he needs a bath and search your fort for workshops or other stuff that's blocked. The easier solution is to just throw him out with the bathwater though...

I went way too far with that analogy  :-X
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:08:10 am »

If its the new version, then there might be some issue with stockpiles - I cant get soap made in my fort despite having butchered herds of camels - no fat to render in kitchens. And then no tallow, no ash, no... Anyway, I worked around it by making a specific stock pile ONLY for fat, it got rendered then. Sadly I don't have the patience to work with tallow.

Try removing your stock piles, recreating them and then seeing if it works.

Or you can then just dump everything into a quantum dump, reclaim, remove all stock piles and see how that works.
This is the convoluted method I am experimenting with in 3.19

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 04:48:41 am »

i have a similar issue.
ive seen hunters hunt things in the caverns before, so i just closed up the gate, thinking "if he CANT get to the outside, he'll just hunt in the caverns, right?"
no.
he spams "cant find path" at me all day until i open the gate.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 05:12:44 am »

Oh!  This reminds me of something that happened to me.  I got reports of dead crundles and junk, and then spammed by cancel butcher: no path.  Turns out, that the nearby cave had a tunnel down to the first cavern.  There were corpses in the cavern, but I hadn't explored it yet, so they were in the dark area.  As such, there was no path, and the butcher's shop understood "want to butcher" but the dwarf said "cannot find" until I sent a squad down and then got things butchered and everything worked.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 07:47:15 am »

If I build a loom in my fortress thats only 5-10 z levels below the ground and order weavers to gather webs from the caverns 30 z levels down, I get no path spam. Seems to be fixed by building a loom in the caverns where the webs are. I've never seen it for anything like just a dwarf trying to drink or go on break or anything though.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 08:21:14 am »

i draft whoever has this problem into a new squard, then [ m ]
once it start moving, i disband the squard,
most of the time it works fine.
except for my beekeepers, they stuck in one place whenever they resume keeping bees.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 08:33:09 am »

Yeah, it either sounds like you accidently blocked a passageway with a workshop, or locked a door, or have a stair/ramp that doesn't connect to the other floor right. If your dwarf is just standing in one spot spamming the error message, it also means he's unable to reach your meeting hall. When that happens, I usually try to trace the path myself, examining every door, ramp and stair on the way.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:18 am »

Won't they not path through a square that already has two guys on it, or was i freaming that?
Pages: [1] 2