Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? (a debate)  (Read 9997 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? (a debate)
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 07:23:28 am »

I had chickens in my 31.18 fort. I did not have eggs until 31.19. Riddle solved.

Obviously, Toady has spoken on this issue.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 08:29:25 am »

It hasn't left the main problem of semantics. How do we define the relationship surrounding an egg?

Chickens do not come from a closed cycle (chicken->chicken egg -> repeat). Instead, chickens come from a crazy spiral of similar creatures. IE Dinosour -(lots of steps)-> dino-bird -(lots of stepts)-> bird -(some steps)-> chicken

So we're not arguing about which came first in an endless cycle. We're arguing whether the egg belongs (semantically) to the parent or the child. If we're cutting hairs (and we are), then this is the realm of biology to solve. Where does the material that makes an egg come from?

Well, if you don't fertilize the egg, because you want to eat them and you don't have roosters, then you can still get an egg. Thus the egg is made by the parent. Fertilizing the egg only gives some genetic material, which then combines and makes an embryo inside of the egg. The egg is a container and food source for the coming chicken.

So... the egg belongs to the parent, biologically. The chicken came first, born inside the egg of an animal similar to a chicken but not a chicken.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:49 am »

But if you merely compare an egg that is genetically identical to an egg laid by a chicken, and will thus hatch into a chicken (no matter where it came from), to a regular chicken egg, then you obviously can't tell them apart. You could say that an egg is best described by what it contains, since that can be tested, and not where it came from, since you can't always know that.

Which once again puts the egg as first.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:59 am »

I am saddened no one commented on my joke.   :'(
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 11:47:40 am »

Perhaps that's because we've seen that comic before. ;)
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 11:56:23 am »

Perhaps that's because we've seen that comic before. ;)

Or, perhaps some bloody, disturbing game has twisted our sense of humor so that regular humor no longer registers?  :o

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 02:04:15 pm »

Wait, when did this thread go from nonsense jokes to serious discussion?

Anyway, this is a semantics problem, but not of the kind you seem to be arguing about. The problem is that a species is not a singular, clearly defined entity. We commonly take a species as a group of creatures that can breed with each other, but not with creatures outside of that group.

The problem of this definition becomes apparent if we take a species of, say, geese that lives along a band from Iceland till deep in Siberia. The Icelandic geese have regular contact with the Nordic Geese and the Nordic geese can breed with the Geese from the Baltic countries, which are related to Moscow Geese and they can breed with Ural geese. Problem is that since Icelandic geese never breed with Ural geese there is nothing keeping them behaviorally or genetically in line. It is highly probable that Icelandic geese are incapable of breeding with Ural geese even though they are members of the same species.

Similar mechanisms work not in distance but in time. It is possible to take 2 points sufficiently apart in time or space and find 2 species, but when one considers a continuum, as one has to when asking the question of "What came first" or "Where are the intermediate species", then it often becomes impossible to draw a hard line between one species and another. After all, you're then trying to fit a sequential definition to a continuum, which rarely fits properly.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 02:59:10 pm »

The chicken came first, born inside the egg of an animal similar to a chicken but not a chicken.

Wait. Waitwaitwait. Are you saying that the egg... is a chicken?

Mind = blown. :o

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 03:26:24 pm »

Wait. Waitwaitwait. Are you saying that the egg... is a chicken?

There. Eternal debate solved. Egg=Chicken=Egg.

Q: Which came first, the chicken, or the egg? A: Yes.

Next question: if Dog is God spelled backwards, why is Satan not spelled "Tac"?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 03:39:04 pm »

Except chickens did not evolve, tey were selectively bred from jungle fowl. Birds which matched desired characteristics were isolated into breeding pairs, becoming the first generation of chickens.

Stop ruining my argument with your facts!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ForbiddenReaper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 02:51:30 pm »

I would say the chicken. As I wouldn't believe personally that a new species of creature would come out of an egg produced by another animal that wasn't originally a chicken. Very hard to explain it but thats my opinion. :D

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 02:54:19 pm »

Bacon comes first, then eggs, chicken shows up sometime around lunch or dinner.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4