Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underground Caps Invasion *Minor Spoilers*  (Read 3044 times)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Caps Invasion *Minor Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 08:00:55 pm »

make the trees into potash and fertilize your crops for 4x the plump helms
LOSING IS FUN!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 08:05:58 pm »

I am pretty sure I have seen saplings grow in a stockpile. Don't know if the stockpile keeps them from maturing.
the stockpile keeps them from maturing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 09:53:30 pm »

Build some cave-in traps for trolls and other nasty sieges.  A support, with some walls above it.  You can make this into a thick block, 3x3x3, and consume 27 wood + 1 mechanism, to make a death trap, although 9 of that wood will be recovered after the cave-in.

Alternatively, build something.  Colored wood is fun to build with, or you can make it all charcoal and build in shades of gray.
I just might try that! A gray road is a neat idea.
I wonder, will this kind of stuff happen aboveground? I never actually tried that...

I think it will happen. I don't think that in the RAWs are some tree growth cap to prevent the map from being overrun by the flora.

make the trees into potash and fertilize your crops for 4x the plump helms
nah, I would have to get space for the potash AND the additional food. Hell, I'm almost ending the starving in my world with so much additional food and i'm still trying to decide how to maintain an reasonable rate for food production.

Yes, but it's not like the wood in trees is a huge FPS killer, you can't really have too much in that sense.

And any other negatives you can easily makes. For example, you could make a path with the road to all the open edges in the cavern so that anything that arrives won't find itself stuck in trees (and blocking some of the edges with walls if necessary). There aren't usually that many potentially entries underground, and honestly, paving is not that slow.

Aesthetics I call your problem =P

Building in the edge of the map isn't possible, am I right? Aboveground I can't put walls or floors or roads on the edge of the map, at least.
and paving is slow when the stockpiles are far, and the masons and architects are building a lot of roads in several places at the same time.

And yes, aesthetics is one of the problems. I want a cavern look like a cavern(with monsters and caps, alright, but not a LOT of them) not the mushroom kingdom overgrown.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:57:05 pm by arkhometha »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »

You can build floors/ramps right up to the map edge.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 06:04:35 am »

You can build floors/ramps right up to the map edge.
Actually in caverns you can build anything at the edge, including walls. Incredibly useful for controlling underground critters and making massive safe-zones.

Building in the edge of the map isn't possible, am I right? Aboveground I can't put walls or floors or roads on the edge of the map, at least.
and paving is slow when the stockpiles are far, and the masons and architects are building a lot of roads in several places at the same time.

And yes, aesthetics is one of the problems. I want a cavern look like a cavern(with monsters and caps, alright, but not a LOT of them) not the mushroom kingdom overgrown.

Also, stop making excuses. If the distances to the stockpiles is a problem (you've moved all the rock away from underground?) just mine some more or mass-dump bunch of them with a garbage site near the cavern. Or even, you know, make another stone stockpile nearer. The point of those is to move stuff where you need them, the opposite of anchoring your industries where stuff happens to be.

Sure it's not done in a in-game month, but it's hardly a bigger construction project than building a couple buildings on the surface. If you want a solution that takes absolutely zero effort, you are going to be disappointed here.

And if I seriously tackled the aesthetics, I would probably build a grid of small paved roads also, making the thing look like an underground plantation. That's just me though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:24:16 am by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 06:14:51 am »

Trees also do not grow on upramps... that's how I solved my forested sewer issues.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 07:22:57 am »

try upping the cavern openness next time, it gives you some nice wide caverns that will take much longer to completely clog with trees

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 08:18:50 am »

Actually in caverns you can build anything at the edge, including walls. Incredibly useful for controlling underground critters and making massive safe-zones.

Also, stop making excuses. If the distances to the stockpiles is a problem (you've moved all the rock away from underground?) just mine some more or mass-dump bunch of them with a garbage site near the cavern. Or even, you know, make another stone stockpile nearer. The point of those is to move stuff where you need them, the opposite of anchoring your industries where stuff happens to be.

Sure it's not done in a in-game month, but it's hardly a bigger construction project than building a couple buildings on the surface. If you want a solution that takes absolutely zero effort, you are going to be disappointed here.

And if I seriously tackled the aesthetics, I would probably build a grid of small paved roads also, making the thing look like an underground plantation. That's just me though.
Didn't know about that, that in the underground you can build in the edges. Can be very useful, but can take off some fun of some troglodytes chargin on the dorfs.
I really didn't dig much of the caverns. I'm generally more busy uncloggin the place and worrying about critters. There are some stone stockpiles there, but they are almost depleted because of my air-tight sealed underground highway. Also, dumping is bugged in .18. Some times you issue the dumping order and the dorfs simply don't follow it.
A similar problem has occurred for me countless times; Dwarves, in the midst of hauling stone to a garbage dump/refuse pile (yes, I use the quantum stockpile method, so sue me), suddenly drop several of them and never touch them again. EVER. They won't use them for building if I remove dump status, won't dump them if I reactivate it over and over, and they're definitely not forbidden. It's like they simply cease to exist for every dwarf in my fort (even though I can't build over them -_-).
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42838.15

The underground plantantion thing is a good idea, it will take some time. I will propably get lazy and flood the place with magma as my dorfs work on another assignments, and after that flood some places with water so some trees can grow. Maybe do the grid thing, enabling various architects to speed up the job.

Trees also do not grow on upramps... that's how I solved my forested sewer issues.
Didn't know about that. So I have to make all my sewers and cisterns and water trap things in upward ramps, so they don't clog. Thanks!

try upping the cavern openness next time, it gives you some nice wide caverns that will take much longer to completely clog with trees
I've thinking on mess with the advanced world generation parameters for some time, but didn't know you could change the cavern openess. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:21:37 am by arkhometha »

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 02:12:13 pm »

Wait... isn't the forest keeping out clowns?
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 05:23:36 pm »

Wait... isn't the forest keeping out clowns?
No. And if they did keep the clowns out, would keep the fun out too.

The clowns later in the game freezed my fort.
Pages: 1 [2]