Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 486260 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1770 on: February 16, 2014, 05:21:50 pm »

Epileptic Trees, anyone?

I think Robsoie is going to be severely disappointment when the campaign releases and you end up just straight up fighting Amakthel (or the sher'tul trying to resurrect him) and absolutely no mention anywhere of Arawe or her role in the godswar or the campaign. At best, it could be explained as either: Amakthel isn't actually as powerful as legend and lore says (it all being trumped up over the ages), or he's just still so weakened that you, being the second (or first) most powerful mortal in existence, can challenge him.

Now that being said, with TOME being an independent development and Darkgod being pretty much directly accessible, you could probably suggest a whole lot of that to him and maybe we'll see some of it in-game (as opposed to most titles developed by teams which are more rigid or reluctant to accept alterations to the story).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: February 16, 2014, 05:51:09 pm »

I'm not going to be disappointed, as i know that my speculations are just that, speculations, the Arawe lore is not even in the game, it's only on several lore threads from the lore main author, Grey .

The Orc campaign is mostly designed already with its backstory lore, and the endgame is obviously going to be what the zone described in his trailer/spoiler.

But that does not mean the end of what's planned regarding the lore "big baddies" and other potential endgame bosses.
The reason is that the dev has several other campaigns idea waiting (they will see reality probably depending on the success of his incoming "dlc" orc campaigns), see that page for some of the things he confirmed to be in his future plans :

http://te4.org/wiki/Campaigns#Non-existent_campaigns

of course, that's some heavy spoiler.

edit :
And there's still the Fearscape and Urh'Rok their leader, waiting to lay waste on the world, the dev even posted that , joking or not, we'll see one day
Just a note about the demons invasion, they are not really waiting for a portal. They are waiting for Eyal's protective shield to shut down under their assault.

"Eyal's universe is probably filled with planets full of graves of civilizations whose races took the economically sound decision to not put a planetary shield up, which are studied and remembered by those that did, like the Sher'tul."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:55:41 pm by Robsoie »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: February 16, 2014, 05:51:37 pm »

'Course, that "seas doubled" bit could also be superstitious explanation for rising sea levels, with those actually having some other cause (Caps melting due to sher'tul's war on the gods, the spellblaze, the naga buggering about with something, who knows what else).
It could also be her power grab. If she is restricting herself to the ocean, and the ocean doubles in size, then she now has a hell of a lot more area under her effective control.
It also has the bonus of being slow enough that people don't really notice it over mortal lifespans, and there isn't a sense of crisis about it (therefore heroes won't come to kill her to stop her plans of global ocean domination).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: February 16, 2014, 11:19:08 pm »

Okay so.... I need to tirade while we're talking about lore. Apparently there's a prevailing theme that I'm supposed to pity (or sympathize in any way) with the orcs.... Despite the entirety we've seen being completely omnicidal, supposedly over events that happened thousands of years in history.

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: February 17, 2014, 08:39:19 am »

Yes, for the whole lore, the orcs have only been at war.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:42:39 am by Robsoie »

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: February 17, 2014, 10:46:37 am »

@Darkmere

Your problem was participating in the in-game chat.  :P The in-game chat is terrible.

Orcs: Nothing in-game implies they're capable of peaceful co-existence. They wanted vengeance against halflings for enslaving them. Understandable. Instead, they tried to wipe out every race in Maj'Eyal for having the audacity of being in their way during their genocidal rampage. ::) It's their own fault that their race is going extinct. None of the races are "good", but some are worse than others.

Humans - Started the Allure wars against halflings, because wanted control of the farportals.
Shaloren - Participated in the Allure wars. And caused the Spellblaze.
Thaloren - They stay within their forests and mind their own business.
Halflings - Enslaved 2 races. Performed experiments on them.
Yeeks - Peacefully went back home after being freed. However, they would enslave the world if they had a chance.
Dwarves - They only care about money, but they don't start conflicts.
Orcs - They want to wipe out all races in Maj'Eyal. The first race to use blight.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: February 17, 2014, 11:04:45 am »

The other races aren't perpetually trying to kill everyone else and conquer the world, for all them their "they're all bastards" concept so dear to the ToME4 lore writers was actually only for a time.
The Halfling being slavers era by example didn't lasted and they even went to the rescue of the other races when the orcs launched yet another conquest, losing many of their troops to stop their rampage while they could just have stayed hidden.

For the Orcs, according to their own written lore, they never got out of that "orcs are all bastards" time as for all time they were still following their warmongering murderous ways with the desire to destroy everyone and conquer MajEyal, even when they were at their lowest after crushing defeats they were still wanting just that.
Their last attempt at conquering everything was launched by their hero, they could just have tried to leave on their own in the East in which they have no threat, but they simply couldn't even try that , as if conquering the world was their only "reason for existence".

In that they're actually very similar to the Sher'thuls that went on a rampage and destroyed their creators in order to conquer and dominate everything, simply because they couldn't change their nature.
I wonder if it wasn't by any chance the Sher'thuls that actively engineered the orcs instead of the other gods, it would explain a lot on the war and conquering nature of that race.

I don't think the warcraft3 "orcs were nobles then evil corrupted then noble again" apply in the ToME4 case, and the "desperation" leading into the breeding camp was just the work of one of the orc leader that wanted to rebuild an orc army as quick as possible.

Because if it was just about survival and desesperation, they could have done what the orc tribe from the incoming dlc has done : they would simply survive in conventional methods instead of blight corrupting their tribes own future and dooming all of them.

The other race that seems to rely on cruelty and domination are the Yeeks-like race name the Yaechs , that can be found enslaving people and making them die in arena fight for their own pleasure and money, and that are additionally making the yeek life a pain on their remote island
Though they have no lore attached to them, but they share the same "enslaving the world" trait, as seen what happens if you win the game with a Yeek.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:07:42 am by Robsoie »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: February 17, 2014, 12:01:56 pm »

Oh thank god, some sane replies!

I actually like that everyone in Maj'eyal is kind of a douche, but can have some redeeming qualities. Except the orcs still get put in the "antagonist" bin, because for all of history as far as I know they've exclusively been fighting everyone that they can find, AND each other.

I had kinda hoped the "shamanistic" warcraft-style orcs would make it in the new campaign (and don't get me wrong, I'll play it regardless), but when the previews came out and it was literally "exterminate the sunwall, exterminate the steam giants, exterminate the lone sher'tul" it seemed like Grey and DG have no intention of changing the always-chaotic-evil orkses into something more interesting.

It just saddens me that as nuanced as the rest of the lore can be... you still have the cardboard cut-out evil omnicidal maniacs, and they're the same orcs as most of the other orcs/orks/uruks.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: May 02, 2014, 04:17:03 pm »

I just noticed that there's some public test version of ToME4 1.2.0 :
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=41110

No changelog available, all i have noticed as i didn't played for long is that there's a new "locked" entry in the Rogue category, so a new class to unlock in that version
and the trollmire seems to have new vegetation, and the Adventurer class "levelup" interface is still as sluggish as ever.

You can report bugs (looks like there are several of them already reported, i ran into the "save-quit will make tome4 stuck until i kill the process" on my first and only try) you'll discover in that test version to the thread i linked.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:29:05 pm by Robsoie »

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:16 am »

Glad to see this is still in development. Game just needs a little polishing of balance and mechanics to be a real classic.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: June 05, 2014, 06:52:39 pm »

time for a bump : ToME4 version 1.20 has been released :
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2014/05/news/tales-majeyal-120-aka-exercise-vital-powers-released

new video trailer on the page

changelog :

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 05, 2014, 07:52:49 pm »

<grumpy>

I wonder how mindslayers got ruined and nerfed :(

</grumpy>

Seriously though... Might have to fail horribly due to lack of attention again sometime or other.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 05, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »

New insane is fun. It's like nightmare with more rares.

<grumpy>

I wonder how mindslayers got ruined and nerfed :(

</grumpy>

Seriously though... Might have to fail horribly due to lack of attention again sometime or other.

Mindslayers got heavily buffed, judging from mindslayer rares.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 05, 2014, 11:12:24 pm »

They're definitely a lot more active and considerably more damaging than they were, from what I've seen so far, and still roughly as tanky (probably somewhat more, actually, with built in healing and that ridiculous, if short lived, forth tier absorption talent). Lot of talents have been compressed (forth tier absorption completely nixed and the passive effects given from level one, conduit folded into the auras, reshapes folded into a single talent, etc., so forth, so on), many new talents, lots of tweaks all around. They're quite different.

Also gems are now fairly ridiculous stat sticks for 'em. One I've been running... between augmentation, that silly +20 dex dagger, and the gem, has a dex in the seventies with a base dex of ten. At something like level 20. It's faintly gratuitous.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 06, 2014, 06:22:23 am »

I finally got that new guy unlocked with my Dwarf Adventurer

How to (base spoiler) :