Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 486313 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1725 on: January 28, 2014, 03:49:20 pm »

Yeah, everything after dreadfell begins to get a bit tedious for me.
It was especially bad in my latest run (nightmare cornac wildfire archmage) since difficulty peaked at the crypt (with level 41 mages and enemies) and enemies at the prides were only level 50 or so (by which point I was 50 as well). So for the entire east nothing was really dangerous until later on in high peak (with the exception of some super-invisible antimagic summoner that I never even saw, and only found out about after he killed me the turn after I killed the other rare that I thought was doing so much damage)).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 29, 2014, 01:34:31 am »

My alchemist vs orcs in base is basically "the one who gets the first shot wins". Often it's me/golem taking a step and multiple orcs get to fire a shot on me/golem.

I'm now thinking of using the low level gems as a means to scout around corners. Keep it in alternate set. Throw weak bomb around corner and watch for "hit something" message.

This is better than risking my golem's neck - as moving my golem forward can end up drawing fire to my character as well.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 29, 2014, 01:53:50 am »

You could also give a shopping spree a chance. Pick up some kit that has track as an active ability. If you've got a decent chunk of cunning (and as an alchie, you should. They're basically a mag/cun/con class -- they don't need more than about 30-40 willpower, at the most.) the radius on track gets absolutely ridiculous (iirc, cunning around sixty can get a radius in the fifties.). No need to scout around corners when you can see the every enemy on the entire freaking level.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 29, 2014, 02:18:31 am »

Hear, hear! Track is amazing on anyone, for anything. People pooh-pooh on the skills like earth's eyes and vision, too... but knowing the exact layout of the next room can let you snag one dangerous asshole at a time, instead of every single one most of the time.

Put them together and you're really, really well prepared for most of the game, and you can find stairs in annoying places like dreadfell or high peak quickly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:11 am »

Meh. Doublepost bump to rant.

I'm apparently just not supposed to win on a rogue. I had a fantastic run all the way to high peak with 3 deaths, then immediately lost my last 4 lives to the shadow doomed fuckhead in slime tunnels, who was hitting me through 15% thick skin, 40% frost/shadow resist and 75 defense for more than 1300 in a turn. Of something. I don't actually know what killed me, because the usual lag-> eidolon -> fuck the combat log updates just guess what hit you shit happens again.

I tried a few things but obviously had no umbraphage or summertide to purge the darkness, if those even work, and evasion did nothing/no shielding torques cover darkness, which I am wildly guessing is the damage type that killed me. Two shields down and dead in three turns means I literally couldn't do anything at all.

This is the game's penance for me winning a marauder and mindslayer back to back I guess. Fun's over, time to die.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »

My achievement list apparently fixed itself. All it took was for my character to die. It's nice seeing Atamathoned! on nightmare roguelike. I'm currently playing a mostly minionless necromancer. The new Animus tree somewhat makes up for the lack of meatshields. Still, it's hard to beat having an army of skeleton master archers and mages.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 01, 2014, 02:08:37 am »

Started playing the game a few days ago. I bought the game on Steam yesterday, and so far the Stone Warden class it unlocks has been pretty powerful. Most successful character of mine so far. Most things die before I can even get into melee range because of earthen vines.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 01, 2014, 03:40:00 am »

Be careful with the vines. that 50% penalty can and will completely destroy you versus strong casters/archers.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 01, 2014, 04:21:24 am »

Be careful with the vines. that 50% penalty can and will completely destroy you versus strong casters/archers.

I don't need to move against those, they get vined and I can teleport to them using the vines, or pull them to me for massive damage. Half of my healing and most of my damage potential is tied to the vines, I can't not run them.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 01, 2014, 06:51:18 am »

The Bearscape?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: February 01, 2014, 07:13:28 am »

Yes, the Bearscape, it will spawn a portal somewhere on the West world map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 02, 2014, 11:21:03 pm »

Burning star + 25 radius track + 900+ damage bomb crits (and 53% spellcrit, yes, thankyou) at level 24. I don't think I've had a crypt run that easy in a long, looong time. Got hit, like, maybe five or six times total, most of that coming from the fifth level's starting cultists. Never went below half heath.

It's great how apparently bone shield buggers up the AI's damage awareness, ha. You can sit around corners and throw bombs at corruptors until the shield breaks without them starting to come at you.

And then they die before they can do anything anyway, because the bombs one-shot them once the shield's down. Wheeee~

E: Oh. Oh shit. If you're controlling the golem when you hit, you know, that special farportal event. The golem gets kicked out. And you stick around.
E2: Talking to it again kicks you out, though. Should have done inspections and whatnot, see what attacking it did and stuff, but eh.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:29:33 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: February 03, 2014, 10:31:25 am »

How much gold can you accumulate normally? Because I saw this...

And is this intended (as a special effect of the water maybe)? The cursor, shown off to one side and higher, is actually on myself.

Which makes lining up your beams extremely annoying.

Also note to self: I need to read spoilers for a list of countermeasures to all those kinds of statuses. An Archmage lives and dies by his sustains...

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 03, 2014, 11:41:05 am »

How much gold can you accumulate normally? Because I saw this...

The highest amount I ever had was over 8,000 while playing a dwarf archmage. I think an alchemist, or anyone with the stone alchemy tree, would be able to get that amount.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: February 03, 2014, 11:59:47 am »

My Stone Warden unlocked stone alchemy at 10 and religiously converted everything to gems for the whole game. He had enough money by high peak to buy 4 vendor randarts and still have save bonuses, so about 19,000 gold.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 163