Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 31.19 & No Anvil...  (Read 4117 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.19 & No Anvil...
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:29:39 am »

This is my 20-something world genned in 31.19.

In two of these, the dwarves have had anvils.  The other 20+, nothing.  No iron or steel, either, in any of the dwarf civilisations.

This means they cannot bring you one to trade, and in most forts I've played, the humans don't have them either. So I can't make weapons or armour out of anything more durable that shell.

This lack of metalsmithing is destroying the game for me.  I want to forge mighty weapons and kill forgotten beasts with steel axes, not harvest honey and make wax candles, while worrying if the cows have enough pasture.  That's farming.

Anyone else finding this? I have seen some complain they can only get steel anvils - I'd welcome that! Any ideas how to get anvils????

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.19 & No Anvil...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:39:44 am »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 04:42:00 am »

Actually, your parent civ does have steel - trust me on this.  It's just when you embarked, you didn't have enough spare points to buy steel, so it didn't display it.  When you add a new item, it only ever shows what you have enough points to bring, which is why steel battle axes are never displayed but sand bags always are.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:51:11 am »

I had a few where they only had steel (I think a steel anvil is like three hundred or so points, maybe more), I didn't buy it but opted for trade (I used to do that in the old days when anvils were super expensive).  I didn't have any issue getting one at the first trade caravan.. Just to add another data point and all.

I guess ultimately having a world-gen option that controlled the amount of minerals would be ideal so everybody could have what they wanted (those who want to have more of a challenge vs. those who want less of one (in regards to metal at least) as well as those who want to build megaprojects).  That said I love the new metal system, really feels more like the old version where stuff was actually rare and exciting to find, not to say it couldn't use some improvement.

-MB

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:43:40 am »

The short answer is (could be shortened farther) :

Steel anvils are always available @ 300 embark points (if you don't have 300 available you won't see them).

This should go in 31.19 FAQ ;) if one exists. I don't think sending people to read a 31 page thread would help them  ;).
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:50 am »

buy steel anvils for 300...

*cough* or download this mod */cough*

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:19 am »

Thanks - I'm scarred from one embark in 31.16, where it seemed no anvils existed anywhere, and I've assumed that this happens when I can't see one on embark.

300 points is quite a lot, so I'll see if any nice traders bring me one in Crafthall, my first 31.19 fortress with more than one type of mineral.  I always seem to get gold, though....

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 01:16:39 am »

you get a free anvil when you choose play now.
LOSING IS FUN!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:24:27 am »

Heh, you think 300 is bad? It was 1000 back in the 40d days.  ;)
Memento Mori

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »

I had this same problem and found that exiting embark and shifting my embark location by a single tile allowed my dwarves access to iron anvils, so thats worth trying but never know if it will work for you as well. :P

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »

You can also raise your embark points in advanced worldgen to compensate for the expensive anvil.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:00:59 pm »

you get a free anvil when you choose play now.

Did `play now` use to randomly assign you dwarf skills? Because I tried it on my first 31.19 world (issue; no goblins or kobolds) and got the same mix (miner, woodcutter, carpenter, farmer, mason, fisherdwarf and fish processor) several times.

Not useful when embarking in a volcanic desert wasteland...

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 08:05:24 pm »

Did someone say 300?
MADNESS?!
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!

*Kicks elf down 500z level shaft*

Sorry got a bit carried away

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 11:20:50 am »

I thought the anvils weren't showing up on the embark screen now? I can't find them. Where are they?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 01:46:49 pm »

I didn't realise that steel anvils were always available but hidden without enough points; I thought that it depended on what you parent civ had, and I've resorted to selecting a different starting civ a few times until I've got my anvil.
Pages: [1] 2