Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the best way to interrogate?  (Read 6876 times)

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
What's the best way to interrogate?
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:26 pm »

I swear, it's the only thing I simply cannot do. I recruit Psychologists and Police Gang Units for their Psychology skill, outfit them with proper gear, use drugs, etc, but I can simply never seem to do it. How do you guys go about interrogating Conservatives?
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best way to interrogate?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:00:49 am »

Dont know about this version, but it used to be having an interrogator with low (1) wisdom, high heart and int being the important stats.  Using 2 interrogators was another important thing, one scary one in a deathsquad uniform or bondage gear (apparently the outfit helped) to drug, beat and be nasty to the conservative prick until his spirit is crushed, then the other to convert him.  Psychology helped but most psychologists have higher wisdom than 1 so either train some hippies with decent stats at the uni or get a ravening combat monster with 1000 juice to practice by just by snatching randoms off the street and going to work on them.  You can even continue the training while under siege.  Religion and possibly business could also be helpful at times.     

I gotta admit I have never really got it working consistently though, always a bit voodoo
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:05:10 am »

I've only managed to convert once, and by then they had been reported missing so I couldn't make them a sleeper agent. Closest I can tell, yes, beating them down then rebuilding them psychologically works the best. I haven't tried the good cop/bad cop thing yet, that might be more effective.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:51:35 am »

It's a little strange, but even though I *know* LCS isn't meant to be taken seriously, I usually balk at the torture minigame ):
Of course it helps that I haven't figured out how to do it right, and my founder generally has 20 persuasion and ~14 leadership ASAP.  At that point there's like a 4/5 chance of *anyone* agreeing to come by later, and instantly want to join (due to the leadership).  I get my sleepers that way - easier on my conscience, my heat, and my liberals' heart.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:05:41 pm »

I was able to convert and make the CEO into a sleeper agent using only one person with high psychology.

It takes time and effort and a little luck but it's totally possible to get it working consistently.

Second Leadership doesn't exist in the latest version...

Anyway, in order to get things working consistently is simple once you figure out how the little things work. Beating, drugs, and expensive props for a while until their health is dangerously low, then attempt to convert. Drugs + Masks or bondage gear is the combination that really wears their wisdom down fast.
!!&!!

Mahou Shoujo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 03:35:07 pm »

I usually get some good interrogation clothing, smack them around until they break (usually 2-4 days), then stop smacking them around. Since I only use one interrogator, I try to convert the whole time. I also don't tie up the captive, though I don't know if it makes a big difference. I haven't used drugs or props. I'm guessing you can still make them watch Bible Black?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 05:07:11 pm »

It's a little strange, but even though I *know* LCS isn't meant to be taken seriously, I usually balk at the torture minigame ):

That doesn't seem strange to me, and I wrote the system. I can only play GTA for so long before the sense of emptiness and inhumanity exceeds the sense of freedom, and I feel compelled to stop the game and do something wonderful and life-affirming. It might be odd, but for all the violent games I play and make, I'm a pacifist in real life.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 05:36:57 pm »

I find that the overall highly comical nature of the interrogation system takes a lot of the sting out of it, myself. That's true for pretty much the whole game, in fact.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:57:15 pm »

I find that the overall highly comical nature of the interrogation system takes a lot of the sting out of it, myself. That's true for pretty much the whole game, in fact.
Comical until your interrogator accidentally kills the captive and throws up in a trash can. LCS is absolutely horrifying sometimes.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sundial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:56:13 pm »

It's possible to interrogate people before they're reported missing with consistent success, but the mechanics aren't clear at all, and you can't just muddle through it and achieve an ideal result.

You basically need to get a psychologist with high int/heart/psychology and low wisdom, then train him up in a few ranks of each cultural skill at the university by taking physics/economics/religion courses. Once he's got a few ranks of everything, have some expendable liberals with cheap guns drop pick up lines on unimportant conservatives like secretaries and janitors. When you're making your dating decision, look for low wisdom/psychology/culturals and kidnap them if they're all low. Have a bunch of liberals tend to the captive in addition to the psychologist, and have the psychologist repeatedly attempt to convert using props (and nothing else). If you've racked up enough skill, use plenty of guards and props, and selected a suitably weak conservative, you should be able to turn him over about four days, and psychology skill trains really quickly during interrogations, so you'll be able to work your way up without a lot of fuss.

If you have to resort to drugs or beatings, you are either aiming too high or aren't adequately prepared. You haven't got a hope of converting the conservative before his absence is reported, so just abandon the safehouse and figure out what you're doing wrong. Don't try to convert people if you don't have a decent lead interrogator. Don't kidnap random conservatives; always check their stats through dating. Don't beat your prisoners.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 01:44:45 am »

Why not beat my prisoners? Always worked for me.
Hello Hunam

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 02:21:04 am »

Interrogation 101
  • Apply Liberal beatings onto the Conservative scum to lower Wisdom.
  • The Conservative scum will lose Heart from beatings.
  • Higher Health = Harder to beat Liberal sense into the Conservative scum.
  • You can add extra guards for more effective beatings if the Conservative scum has high health.
  • Once the Conservative scum has 1 Wisdom, untie their restraints and stop the beatings, they will know Liberalism in due time.
  • You can stop the beatings earlier, at 2 or 3 Wisdom and still be able to learn the Conservative some Liberalism.
  • Props = Faster convincing after you beat the Conservative out of the Conservative scum.
  • Always try to talk to the Conservative scum.
  • Do not change the head Liberal Doctor unless absolutely necessary.

Ways to mess up:
  • Low Health = Easier to do permanent Health damage.
  • Too many extra guards for beatings = Health damage
  • Use of Narcotics = Permanent Health damage.
  • Unattended Conservatives scum will eventually escape.
  • Unrestrained Conservative scum who still subscribes to Wisdom over Heart will eventually try to escape.
  • Unrestrained Conservative scum with 1 Health and 1 Wisdom who have given up hope may commit suicide.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sundial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 05:30:27 pm »

Why not beat my prisoners? Always worked for me.

Because it's a shamefully conservative thing to do?

On a mechanical note, it takes too long to break a conservative and then befriend them. You can't reliably get sleepers if you take too long, and you get more heat and waste more resources on the prisoner. If you follow my guidelines, you can generally convert prisoners in four days of interrogation, and almost always get a sleeper. Remember, psychology increases extremely quickly once you're interrogating people; you don't have to spend very long on weak conservatives.

The reason you don't use drugs is mainly that they occasionally torpedo your interrogation, and you don't need them to get through cultural skills if you have more than a smidgen of psychology and cultural skills of your own.

Mahou Shoujo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 01:43:10 am »

With decent persuasion you can befriend in a few days while beating.

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 11:54:47 am »

What I use recently:
High heart, intelligence, charisma, psychology. Begin by two days or so of beating, drugs and props, then continue with just props.