Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attributes  (Read 1279 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Attributes
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:45 pm »

What attributes do I actually need and what are completely useless???
Also what do the useful ones do for me?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attributes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »

Key ones are what you'd expect - Strength, Agility, Toughness, Endurance. I usually pump my agility more than others on the theory that not getting hit is pretty important.

Kinesthetic and Spatial sense also help with combat some - but unless you are starting as a demi-god you probably shouldn't blow points on secondary stats like that. Most of the important ones will eventually rise on their own if you survive long enough. My current character 'Astri Flamebathed' started as a human hero with modest stats, but recently bumped up to 'Superior' in most of her major stats.

Interestingly, Disease Resistance does NOT go up on its own - at least, not unless you get injured a lot - so you might consider putting them up a bit at the start to avoid deadly infections. Not sure if recuperation really does anything in adventure mode, given that most wounds that are going to heal do so with a single hour of rest.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 04:56:18 am »

Also, all social skills (barring focus and intuition, they're good for observation) are utterly useless in adventure, so feel free to bomb them. It could net you a few extra high's and above average's. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:10:11 am »

Thanks for the tips tips. also I've heard that willpower allows you to take more damage without giving in to pain, how effective is that and should I raise it at start or does it go up by itself ???
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:43:27 am »

It goes up every time you get hit basically, but you still want it at least average, or else you'll faint when someone bruises your pinky finger in your first fight and die.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:13 am »

Yeah, willpower is important too, and of course i forgot to mention that. :U
You'll probably want at least high (i'm not sure really, i just always set it to high) in it, since that'll allow you to stay conscious despite pretty horrifying injuries. Then again, if you're that injured, you're probably going to die. But hey, giving in to pain in a fight is an almost guaranteed death sentence as well.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

maanahr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:00:51 am »

Regardless of whether memory actually affects anything or not, Elves and Goblins always have a perfect memory, so you can dump those points and you'll still end up with Average Memory. (Since the average for those races is 5000 points; perfect memory.)