Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature Size Limit?  (Read 2223 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Creature Size Limit?
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:05:45 pm »

What the biggest size you can make something? Is there a limit?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Size Limit?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18:52 pm »

I don't think there is a size limit unless it's a number large enough to overflow your computer's memory. Which would be astronomically high.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:05 pm »

There is a interesting way to test this. DF is made in C++, and from memmory the biggest primitive data type you would want to use for this would be the unsigned long long, and those go up to 18446744073709551615, so make a creature of that size, plus one, and see what happens. There could be a chance toady is using a different data type or structure, maybe he's own even, that can go larger.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:45:30 pm »

Then butcher it and cook the meat into a single meal worth more than a dozen fortresses by virtue of the 15 billion units it will have.

Or, no, I guess it doesn't treat butchered meat as a single unbreaking stack for cooking anymore.
This is a tragic loss for all dwarfendom. :(
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:03:21 pm »

There is a interesting way to test this. DF is made in C++, and from memmory the biggest primitive data type you would want to use for this would be the unsigned long long, and those go up to 18446744073709551615, so make a creature of that size, plus one, and see what happens. There could be a chance toady is using a different data type or structure, maybe he's own even, that can go larger.
At 18446744073709551616 it work in arena but when I butcher it just disappeared

Edit: nvm the other one worked

3747 meat
2200 bones

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:09:54 pm by Alkhemia »

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:45:23 pm »

Possibly size variations can push it over its limit. That would explain why one disappeared while the other didnt.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:49:07 pm »

Possibly size variations can push it over its limit. That would explain why one disappeared while the other didnt.
It was in pieces from slamming into the wall when it just disappeared not when it was just a corpse I don't know what effect that has though.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:33:30 pm »

At 18446744073709551616 it work in arena but when I butcher it just disappeared

Edit: nvm the other one worked

3747 meat
2200 bones

That is the same butchering result that you get from a size 184467441 creature, so the game is only reading the first several numbers, or something else is going on.

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:57:50 pm »

At some point, creatures that huge really need to take up multiple tiles. That's a little silly.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 05:54:40 pm »

At some point, creatures that huge really need to take up multiple tiles. That's a little silly.

A creature over size 6750000000, taking up one tile, has a density (mass/approx. tile size) large enough for nuclear fusion to occur.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 05:56:44 pm »

Is it massive enough to collapse into itself and create a hole in space and time?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 06:23:12 pm »

Is it massive enough to collapse into itself and create a hole in space and time?
18,446,744,073,709,551,616 centimeters = 19.4986403 light years, So bigger then the distances to all the star listed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars there......holy crap but yeah it make a black hole.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:28:42 pm by Alkhemia »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:41:32 pm »

18,446,744,073,709,551,616 centimeters = 19.4986403 light years, So bigger then the distances to all the star listed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars there......holy crap but yeah it make a black hole.

Creature size is in cm^3, so a 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 cm^3 block would be a cube 26.4 km (16.4 miles) long/wide/tall.

Such an object, if compressed to fit onto a single tile, would still not be dense enough to be a black hole.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:55:20 pm »

Creature size relates to volume, not mass, so we can not say for sure. If it had the same density of water then no. I am not sure on the maths on this, but some sort of super dense matter like neutronium might be able to.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 11:05:13 pm »

Creature size is in cm^3, so a 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 cm^3 block would be a cube 26.4 km (16.4 miles) long/wide/tall.

Such an object, if compressed to fit onto a single tile, would still not be dense enough to be a black hole.
Ah, I thought it was just in centimeters but that still really big....a very big goat, it still weak though