Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Proper Use of Ballistae  (Read 8331 times)

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proper Use of Ballistae
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »

Yeah, I don't think ballista arrows benefit from the weight of the material the same way hammers and maces do.

Those things were ridiculously powerful at some point, regardless of what kind of arrows they used, if I remember correctly. They were toned down a lot for DF2010, but I'm not sure it was a good adjustment, given that a ballista fired at mid-range should be ridiculously powerful, and that the inaccuracy, immobility and the slow production of ammunition already balances them (not to mention siege operators crapping their pants).
I wouldn't say that they were silly powerful, for the amount of work you had to put in to make them even useful, designing your entrances around it and so forth, they were reasonable.  From what I've read in this thread they're just plain useless now. :/

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »

Yeah, I don't think ballista arrows benefit from the weight of the material the same way hammers and maces do.

Those things were ridiculously powerful at some point, regardless of what kind of arrows they used, if I remember correctly. They were toned down a lot for DF2010, but I'm not sure it was a good adjustment, given that a ballista fired at mid-range should be ridiculously powerful, and that the inaccuracy, immobility and the slow production of ammunition already balances them (not to mention siege operators crapping their pants).
I wouldn't say that they were silly powerful, for the amount of work you had to put in to make them even useful, designing your entrances around it and so forth, they were reasonable.  From what I've read in this thread they're just plain useless now. :/
That's my point. They could kill practically anything on impact but they had other flaws to balance them, and it wasn't unrealistic that they did.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:45 pm »

Does anyone know if better weapons material makes better arrows?  I would never waste steel on ballista arrows (oh precious steel!), but has anyone tried that?

Also, is there any way to edit raws or etc. to get my ballistae a little bit better?  I can deal with inaccuracy or ineffectiveness individually, but both together is too much.  I've no raw-editing experience so I have no idea if it's possible.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 11:40:08 pm »

Does anyone know if better weapons material makes better arrows?  I would never waste steel on ballista arrows (oh precious steel!), but has anyone tried that?
Yes, better material penetrate better.
Also, is there any way to edit raws or etc. to get my ballistae a little bit better?  I can deal with inaccuracy or ineffectiveness individually, but both together is too much.  I've no raw-editing experience so I have no idea if it's possible.
No It's not possible
If you want to conserve your ammo, raise a bridge at the far end of the firing range so they dont get wasted.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 11:54:07 pm »

Yes, better material penetrate better.
penetration as applies to ballista arrows seems to mean what it bruises - e.g., an arrow hits the lower body and bruises the guts, kidneys, or liver.  I don't really care about bruises; I want to increase fractures (it never seems to deal edged-type damage, like cutting or etc).   The best is when a head hit causes the death fracture, but that seems unaffected by arrow type - in my example a silver masterwork hit the head and only bruised the fat, but I've seen wooden arrows break heads about as well as silver ones.

So in real terms, is steel more effective than silver?  Had I access to steel at my site, I would test it myself, but I do not.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:55:05 am by JimboOmega »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 08:55:39 pm »

I have yet to have a fort survive to reach Siege weapon stages, but I suspect that a channel 10-11 squares past the battery should keep the operators at their posts.

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:34 am »

hmm every time i use my ballista someone dies  :'(

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 01:13:22 am »

Isn't that the idea?   ;D
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 02:48:29 am »

I wonder how much of the lack of edge attacking is from the use of silver as your metal test case.  Silver seems to be very low on the materials ladder.  When I use silver swords early on (just for *some* kind of metal weapon) and a swordsdwarf gets attached to one, they seem far less successful in later combat than their iron-, bronze-, and steel-wielding squadmates, even against leather-clad foes.  The silver-swordsdwarves mostly seem to occupy/distract the goblins, keeping them busy until something else can come by for the kill, or until they land a very lucky blow.  Even copper seems to make better swords than silver.  If ballista arrowheads don't gain an advantage from silver's weight, then its poor relative edged-material ranking might be making the gains minimal, even if metal arrowheads *do* have the ability to make a sizable difference.

While Steel is probably unrealistic, it seems premature to writeoff metal arrowheads entirely until tests have been done in Bronze or Iron.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:17 am »

I wonder how much of the lack of edge attacking is from the use of silver as your metal test case.  Silver seems to be very low on the materials ladder.  When I use silver swords early on (just for *some* kind of metal weapon) and a swordsdwarf gets attached to one, they seem far less successful in later combat than their iron-, bronze-, and steel-wielding squadmates, even against leather-clad foes.  The silver-swordsdwarves mostly seem to occupy/distract the goblins, keeping them busy until something else can come by for the kill, or until they land a very lucky blow.  Even copper seems to make better swords than silver.  If ballista arrowheads don't gain an advantage from silver's weight, then its poor relative edged-material ranking might be making the gains minimal, even if metal arrowheads *do* have the ability to make a sizable difference.

While Steel is probably unrealistic, it seems premature to writeoff metal arrowheads entirely until tests have been done in Bronze or Iron.

From what I've seen of ballistae, they do blunt damage - bruises and breaks only.  Hence my partially obscured (now corrected) post about penetration (it seems to affect brusing of internal organs more).   Also, if you are using silver weapons...  you really should be using hammers... not swords.

That said, I'd love to see somebody use steel/iron/bronze ballista arrows, and, assuming they can overcome all the other difficulties and get a hit, I'd like to see how they perform.

Edit: What I mean is, I've never, across dozens of arrows and hundreds of hits, seen them deal bladed damage.  Not even a little tear of the skin.  Always bruise this, bruise that.  If somebody wants to try it with a better metal, do let me know how it goes.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:33:11 am by JimboOmega »

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »

I had some fun with ballistae in one of my older forts when they pretty much broke a (rather weak) siege by themselves thanks to a lucky kill or three -- but you do need that luck, or the "sitting duck" treatment with cage-trapping the squad leader. I'd use them more if the accuracy and the effort investment were rewarded by higher damage. As it is, I decided to stick with weapon trap corridors and good old axedwarves.

Tirunus

• Bay Watcher
  • Something witty here
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 09:00:52 pm »

What version do you use?
My personal text is in itself a attempt to be witty, making fun of the fact that peoples personal text usually are trying to make a witty one liner. Possibly a reference to the game or just a generally humorous. You may also find that this signature is not used to regurgitate someone else's joke in a attempt to immortalize that they felt but instead have just joined a crowd of people who are to hung onto past feeling, but is used to better explain the personal text.
Pages: 1 2 [3]