Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Proper Use of Ballistae  (Read 8341 times)

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Proper Use of Ballistae
« on: February 28, 2011, 02:09:46 pm »

I built a nice battery of 3 ballistas, at the end of a long hallway invaders have to travel through.

So far, great.  But even with all masterwork parts, legendary operators, and superior or better arrows, I find that they rarely stay on target as far as, say, the distance dwarves will abandon their posts from, maybe 7 tiles.

I wonder what I am doing wrong - most specifically, I wonder if I'm making some bad assumptions.  For instance, rather than firing straight, are the dwarves firing at other targets that might not be in the hallway?  Does quality of part matter less than that of arrow/operator?  Are different metal arrows more or less accurate (mine are generally silver or just wood, due to a lack of available metal)?

If any can advise me, I'd appreciate it.  I've really been hoping to land a solid hit with my ballistae, but watching all three hit the walls 5 or 6 tiles down the corridor is really disappointing.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
Re: Proper Use of Ballistae
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:37:55 pm »

Are the operators skilled at all?

At low skill, they're a bit like Lightning the blind Crossbowdwarf.

Edit: Oh, missed the legendary part of your message. Nevermind me...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:45:37 pm by Naros »

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »

Two are legendary, the worst is, I think, "great". 

So in order to be accurate, what sort of combinations (operator+arrow) are needed on a masterwork ballista?  I noticed my legendary dwarf sending a few totally wide, but they were merely +finely crafted+ ballista arrows.  The one time the legendary dwarf fired an exceptional arrow, it was true.  But an almost perfect combination - 3 masterwork parts, legendary operator, and exceptional arrow - seems a bit overkill to get it straight.  Is that what is necessary?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »

How wide is the hallway?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:13:07 pm »

Isn't there a minimum range, and if the ennemy is closer than that the operator can't aim properly? Just something I've read somewhere...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:14:49 pm »

If the enemy gets too close, the operator will abandon his post and flee.  Siege operators are civilians, they run from enemies.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 03:17:57 pm »

Isn't there a minimum range, and if the ennemy is closer than that the operator can't aim properly? Just something I've read somewhere...

That's for catapults.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 04:45:37 pm »

A good idea about ballistae is to use long hallways with channeled edges all around, ensuring that the arrows that veer off ends up dropping into the area below, unhurt, where they can be retrieved and reused.  That, and looong hallways to give you ample time, nearby stockpiles to allow you to shoot faster, skilled operators and (no joke) full masterwork piece ballistae..and it *might* be worth the effort.  Might.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »

How wide is the hallway?

The hallway is 3 tiles wide, and the ballista are arranged to fire down all 3 tiles, in theory.  If, for instance, the southern ballista fired in a way that caused its arrow to deviate to the north, that'd be fine, but it rarely happens.

It is about 10 tiles from the front ballista to the fortifications that block it from the hallway.  I would say only about 1 in 3 bolts makes it that far, the ones further back having even greater trouble.  Even the one whose front is 16 tiles away from the fortifications is easily scared by goblins, but at that range, the shots very rarely reach the hallway.  I would say less than 1 in 10 makes it past 20 tiles.

In the rare event that the bolts do go down the hallway, they are reasonably effective, though they only cause bruises to ogres, at least at the *silver arrow* level.

Maybe it's the materials and/or quality of the arrow? 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 04:52:21 pm »

Widen your hallway. Problem solved.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:35 pm »

Widen your hallway. Problem solved.

Doing so fixes nothing - the gobbos have more space to spread out over, and the traps have to be increased in number to have the same effectiveness.  The point is not to get the arrow in the hallway, the point is to kill goblins in a narrow hallway with a well-aimed bolt.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 05:26:09 pm »

That's for catapults.
There is a minimum targeting range for both. Although ballistae will damage anything in their path. As long as the enemy is 30 tiles away or further operators will target them, and their firing radius covers 3 tiles of width starting at about 18 tiles. Remember ballista arrows can go through multiple fortifications, so if your hallway has roadblocks you can increase the amount of time enemies are in firing range. I think I'm going to do up an example of long range siege engine use, since that seems to be a hot topic right now.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 05:44:39 pm »

In the rare event that the bolts do go down the hallway, they are reasonably effective, though they only cause bruises to ogres, at least at the *silver arrow* level.
Reasonably effective?? You could make 60 metal and 20 wooden instead. Wooden ones would surely tear some muscles and metal ones would shatter bones of FB.
Currently siege engines are more of expensive plaything for rich fortresses.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 06:04:51 pm »

I usually trap enemies on a platform more than 20 tiles away and keep firing until they're routed. I then have my melee soldiers waiting up top to counter-ambush them when I release them from the room.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 06:20:51 pm »

I just created the following layout:

SSS
SSS  =The siege engine(s) (can also be a catapult)
SSS

W=Wall
.=ground
╬=Fortification
Code: [Select]
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    W................╬...╬...╬
SSS ╬................╬.╬.╬.╬.╬
    ╬................╬.╬.╬.╬.╬
    ╬................╬.╬.╬.╬.╬
    W................╬.╬...╬. <--Outer Entrance
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.WWWWWWWW
      Inner Entrance--^

In this setup the enemy forces come from the outer entrance and have to walk through the small hallway under the fire of the siege engines to get inside of the fortress. I personally would build catapults near the walls since they always shoot straight and a ballista in the middle so it's arrows can spread and still hit the enemy. the huge distance between the enemy and the engines is so that the siege operators don't run away.

Bonus: Make it possible to seal the enemy in and let the ballista do the rest.
Pages: [1] 2 3