Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Sengoku  (Read 5851 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Sengoku
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:33:21 am »

just went on paradox and found a news page on there new game Sengoku.... it sounds like a much better version of Shogun 2 total war, more than just battles and more to do with politics and other stuff out side of battle, and its set in Feudal Japan my favorite Era :). And your not just controlling a country and stuff your in control of a House! ( which is a game which some of us have been wanting mainly me haha :P )

here's some of the features:

Control a noble family in Feudal Japan
Rise in influence and power within your clan and go on to claim the ultimate prize
Conquer and grow while rewarding your most valued retainers in your bid to become Shogun
Detailed historical map of Japan during the warring states period
Make deals with external powers, including the Portuguese and the Dutch
Employ the aid of powerful Ninja clans when your Samurai armies are not enough 

here's the linky:

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2011/2/paradox-interactive-announce-sengoku
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sengoku
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:39:01 am »

Looks very much like total war campaign map and its rather hard to determine what the game will play like.
I would imagine something like heir to the throne but in japan.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:50:20 pm »

thats one of the most uninformative game vids ive ever seen. You see, a campaign map.... at thats it

Stikes me as a bit curious that Paradox would put out a Feudel Japan themed game, that even if it is technically different to play, looks the same as Shogun, so close to Shoguns release. Are they trying to pick a fight with Creative Assembly, or gambling on SHogun making feudel japan games the new in thing.

My guess is this game will be based on paradoxes generic grand strategy engine (Europa Univeralis, Hearts of Iron 3 Victoria 2 etc) and thus have very similar game play to these games. So detailed campaign map and politics but not battlefield command.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:56:11 pm »

thats one of the most uninformative game vids ive ever seen. You see, a campaign map.... at thats it

Stikes me as a bit curious that Paradox would put out a Feudel Japan themed game, that even if it is technically different to play, looks the same as Shogun, so close to Shoguns release. Are they trying to pick a fight with Creative Assembly, or gambling on SHogun making feudel japan games the new in thing.

My guess is this game will be based on paradoxes generic grand strategy engine (Europa Univeralis, Hearts of Iron 3 Victoria 2 etc) and thus have very similar game play to these games. So detailed campaign map and politics but not battlefield command.

I doubt it's actually being put out anywhere near Shogun 2's release. It's just being released now, which means it's probably months and months away.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »

You mean announced now.

It will be based on the same game engine as Europa Universalis 3 and Victoria 2, this much they've already said.

Given that Crusader Kings was announced last year and isn't due until next year, I'm not going to complain about it being to close too the release of Shogun.

I actually anticipate that this will play a whole lot more like Crusader Kings, or what Crusader Kings 2 will play like rather than Europa Universalis.
!!&!!

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:55:06 pm »

I'm hoping for Crusader Kings IN JAPAN.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 04:02:59 pm »

Doesn't look that interesting tbh, but then I'm not one for Asian stuff. No doubts that it will be better then STW2 though.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 04:28:25 pm »

Neat.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »

Off topic I know, but:

There must be something wrong with me, but I have never been able to force myself to like one of these games. I have tried EU3 and HoI3, and Crusader Kings..they feel like spreadsheets with sliders that control the economy and state policies to me. I just dont see what is deep about them at all, yeah sure, the map is accurate but everything else feels very shallow to me. Maybe I am just too much of a total war fanboy..
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 01:29:58 pm »

Basically, they do what the other game don't.
EU does the campaign while Total war does the combat.
In EU combat is for advancing your agenda and diplomacy actually works.
In Total war the Campaign is for purchasing units and decide where to battle while diplomacy sucks.
In EU I enjoy(among other things) starting as a shitty little one-province state in Germany and ending up owning a major part of Europe without going to war once.
In Total war I enjoy employing tactics to beat armies twice or thrice as large as mine while only losing 1/5 of my guys.

Yeah, they are not the same so EU is just not your taste.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:45:13 pm »

This sounds simply like Crusader Kings in the Sengoku. Simple idea,  but I have little doubt it will be highly fun.
As a fan of Paradox games, I've got to say, it's silly to compare Total War with Paradox's strategies. Total War is a tactical game of small-scale battles, and it does that masterfully. Games like EU and Victoria are all about the more, in my opinion, interesting parts of running a country, like intrigue, diplomacy, and long-term strategy.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 05:54:19 pm »

I'd probably dig this if it was made by someone other then Paradox because their grasp of non-European history is pretty pathetic.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 06:46:20 pm »

Considering it's about the warring states period and limited to Japan, they don't need to cram 500 years worth of historical events from every single province in the world.
Just having one employee go through the events and making notes of them would be enough, but I'm more concerned about how the game plays rather than nitpicking on possible historical events, because as soon as you put the player behind a faction, the historical timeline goes out the window.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 06:48:41 pm »

Considering it's about the warring states period and limited to Japan, they don't need to cram 500 years worth of historical events from every single province in the world.
Just having one employee go through the events and making notes of them would be enough, but I'm more concerned about how the game plays rather than nitpicking on possible historical events, because as soon as you put the player behind a faction, the historical timeline goes out the window.
Unless they're using a "stick as close to history as possible" challenge.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »

Read a history book? Sorry, couldn't resist that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5