Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Sengoku  (Read 5847 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: Sengoku
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 05:22:41 pm »

The in-game hints are useful, if annoying... but htere isn't any sort of 'tutorial'.  I can't make heads or tails in the game, which is bugging me greatly.  Grrrrr.  >:(
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 06:41:09 pm »

Not that I'm aware of. I've never tried, and haven't heard anything about it.

Err, yes, it is....

Steam just installs the game to a folder in your steamapps folder. once its there its identical to the folder of any other installation, and you can launch directly from it and mod it till your hearts content.
Magma is overrated.

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »

Yes, but any future installations are still quite tied to your steam account, are they not?
It's not like you can save the installer to disk, and never have anything to do with steam again (provided you ever want to play on another computer or something), even if you can launch that installation without ever firing up steam again. Well, not that I'm aware of, anyway. That's what I had the impression he wanted to know about, but if I misunderstood, I'm sorry I mislead.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 09:36:49 pm »

Actually, finding out how to play the game without an internet connection was quite helpful, so thanks Sneakey Pete!

While I warned that the manual is out-of-date, much of it is still relevant, so I'd suggest reading it to anyone who is confused.

I've also started to grasp the game myself.  I'm sure the Dwarven community would love for people to show their games, and ask for hints on any problems they face!

Oh, and I'll probably be playing via Steam for a few hours under my forum name, so feel free to say hi!

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 11:56:52 pm »

Yes, but any future installations are still quite tied to your steam account, are they not?
It's not like you can save the installer to disk, and never have anything to do with steam again (provided you ever want to play on another computer or something), even if you can launch that installation without ever firing up steam again. Well, not that I'm aware of, anyway. That's what I had the impression he wanted to know about, but if I misunderstood, I'm sorry I mislead.

Yeah, if you want, you can move the game folder to another location and not even have to bother with steam. I've done that with Europa Universalis. I've put EU3 on my portable hard drive so I can play it wherever I want. The only thing tied to your steam account is the download. Once it's downloaded, you can do whatever you want to the installation.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »

Ok, they just got the FAQ up and running: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?650-Sengoku-FAQ

It has the manual and the corrections to the manual.  Nobody can use the out-of-date manual excuse any more!

General consensus on the Paradox forums is that the game is far more polished than any other Paradox release, it's actually playable!

General consensus also exists that the game is less than CK + DV so far.  Development team seems to really be backing this game up, so hopefully that will change soon!

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »

General consensus also exists that the game is less than CK + DV so far.  Development team seems to really be backing this game up, so hopefully that will change soon!

They've already officially stated that Sengoku is more shallow on purpose; it has lower price tag and development time than the rest. So, while patches are awesome, they probably won't bring in anything but game mechanic tweaking and interface upgrades.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2011, 06:16:26 am »

Yeah, I have a suspicion Sengoku was to a large part just a try-out so that CK2 will go smoother. Kinda like Shogun and Medieval: Total War. Ironically enough.
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 10:53:23 am »

Simplistic, but interesting either way.  I wouldn't mind playing something like this in a fantastical original world, where both the AI women and men can plot the demise of people they hate... and so I can choose who gets to be married off as the 'womenz' of my family.  (Hint: The useless people) 
Some of them women get some epic stats and traits...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 10:54:41 am »

Quick disclaimer: This game will ruin friendships
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 07:15:16 pm »

Here's a Contest I thought might interest my fellow Dwarfers:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?560889-Crusader-Kings-II-beta-keys-anyone&s=b16908ded67014e40304baff546c1549

That link leads to a thread on the Paradox forums where they offer a Crusader Kings II beta key to the top five AARs on their forums.  Seeing as we have a slew of great AAR writers on this forum, it'd be quite nice to see someone from here win.

Deadline is next Monday, September 26.  And there may be a way to submit a demo AAR.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2011, 01:06:27 am »

Okay, I finally picked up the game and I feel mighty disappointed. It's too simplistic, like they decided, "omg, crusader kings was TOO COMPLEX" and dumbed it down from there. There's no research, hardly any "feif" (forget the japanese word) management, and barely any character management. If this is what CKII is going to look like, then it's time to start despairing. :(

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2011, 03:43:12 am »

Itīs more like Europa Universalis: Rome then: a simplistic take on Europa Universalis 3.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 05:24:41 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Rome and EU had very different gameplay, I'd say it was more resembling CK.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there's intentionally less content and time invested in Sengoku than CK2. This is also why it's cheaper.
Love, scriver~

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 08:52:51 am »

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there's intentionally less content and time invested in Sengoku than CK2. This is also why it's cheaper.

Captain Gars from Paradox development team:
"What some players seem to miss is that this game is supposed to be a bit smaller than some of our other titles - hence the shorter development time and the lower price tag."

Source.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5