Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ninja arrows of Death  (Read 873 times)

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ninja arrows of Death
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:09:18 am »

So, I think I spotted a wee bug during my last adventure.

My legendary fighter/wrestler/etc wandered into a camp do do some mischief, and I realized that I'd somehow managed to misplace my bow at the last shop, so what the heck, I'll throw arrows at the bandits for laughs...

My first two tosses promptly disembowel and then eye-shot the bandit leader, murdering him gruesomely. I go on to obliterate a few other fools in this manner, somewhat stunned at the efficacy of simply throwing darts at fools.

Then my skill ticks over from 'dabbling' to 'novice' and I never hit anyone with a thrown arrow, ever again, despite dozens of throws.  :'(

I did later on manage to bean some charging goblins with a spinning halberd toss however, so there's some hope still.  :D

But yeah, there may be a bug with 'zero' skill thrown weapons, where 0 = Infinity.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ninja arrows of Death
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 03:51:52 pm »

But yeah, there may be a bug with 'zero' skill thrown weapons, where 0 = Infinity.

Nah, you just got lucky.  I've crippled enemies with no throwing skill, but I still miss more often than I hit.  With legendary skill, I barely ever miss, but the damage seems the same.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:29 pm »

Yeah, I haven't been doing much throwing to date, but I get very random results as a rule. Haven't gotten my throwing up beyond competent yet, but I feel pretty IN-competent at that skill level.

Strangely, while I hit far less often with thrown weapons than with bows/xbows, thrown weapons almost invariably do far more devastating damage on the rare occasions when they do hit, always crippling or killing in a shot or two, while fired arrows often hit and do very little damage. I suspect that the strength or fighting skill mods are applied when throwing, but not when shooting?

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:53:25 am »

Yeah, I haven't been doing much throwing to date, but I get very random results as a rule. Haven't gotten my throwing up beyond competent yet, but I feel pretty IN-competent at that skill level.

Strangely, while I hit far less often with thrown weapons than with bows/xbows, thrown weapons almost invariably do far more devastating damage on the rare occasions when they do hit, always crippling or killing in a shot or two, while fired arrows often hit and do very little damage. I suspect that the strength or fighting skill mods are applied when throwing, but not when shooting?

its kind of a big disadvantage being an archer in adv mode you could throw 5 or more stones instead of just one arrow/bolt

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:43 am »

I've had this happen before, but I realized it was because I was in a martial trance, which caused everything to hit (even as an unskilled thrower against boogeymen)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.