Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Favorite Embark Configurations?  (Read 8570 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Embark Configurations?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 09:41:57 pm »

2 miners
1 woodcutter
1 carpenter/mason
1 engraver
1 gem cutter/stonecrafter
1 gem setter/appraiser/judge of intent

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »

2 miners one with a point in carpentry, one with a point in engraving
everyone else gets
1 in brewing
1 in planting
1 in mechanics
1 in masonry
1 in either armorsmithing or weaponsmithing for the moods
1 in either bonecarving, stonecarving or jewelry

and a competent diagnoser

Why do people pour valuable points into furnace operating? at 100 f.p.s. the speed improvement is negligible! 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

OrbinDules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 10:47:02 pm »

My usual embark goes like this:

Miner/Smith
Woodcutter/Axedwarf
Mason/Carpenter/architect
Brewer/cook/grower
Grower/Herbalist/thresher
Doctor
Mayor/Expedition leader/ broker/manager
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 11:50:22 pm »

Why do people pour valuable points into furnace operating? at 100 f.p.s. the speed improvement is negligible!

Because when I get forges working, it's usually a time when all hell is breaking loose (not literally, unless you've done something wrong FUN) and I might forget to change someone's tasks on Dwarf Therapist...  Nothing like setting 30 iron to be smelted and finding nothing done two seasons later when you need armour, etc.

My preference, though, and I understand why not.  Beats even more Plump Helmet, though...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 02:59:33 am »

2 Miners
1 Woodcutter
1 Carpenter/Mason
1 Grower/Herbalist
1 Swordman
1 Spearman

Though I mostly play as Humans/Keeper.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 06:55:37 am »

Miner
Miner
Miner
Miner
Woodcutter/carpenter
Leader/mason
Farmer/Brewer

Really great for getting started quickly
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:10 am »

This is my recent setup, and two years in, I'm really happy with it so far.

- One Manager (1 Appraiser, 1 Judge of Intent, 3 Negotiator, 5 Manager)
The expedition leader and trader. Probably has high connections in the Mountainhomes, which allowed him to get this cushy job despite being underqualified and generally disliked by his underlings. The other dwarves do their best to get things done in spite of him.

- One Commander (1 Weaponsmith, 1 Axedwarf, 5 Armor User, 3 Shield User)
When the fortress is getting off the ground, he does woodcutting; later, he puts that axe to other uses. This dwarf got my second Strange Mood in this fortress (which is what the point of Weaponsmithing was hoping for), resulting in a Legendary Weaponsmith and an artifact iron spear, so I'm cross-training this dwarf as a speardwarf so he can carry his own artifact into battle.

- One Doctor (5 Diagnostician, various points in the other medical skills)
Chief Medical Dwarf and general dwarfitarian, she's upset that the military dwarves keep getting injured in stupid ways, but does her best to patiently patch them up anyway. In the early seasons of this fort, she's been a food-producer through Butchery (who better than a triage surgeon to deconstruct a mule?) and Herbalism (knows which plants are medicinal/poisonous because she's tasted them all to see what they do).

- One Thinker (5 Mechanic, 5 Bowyer)
The brains of the operation, but nobody really listens to him because they're too busy with their own various insanities. I like to imagine that this dwarf is the one that is actually planning the dig designations and fortress layout. A sort of dwarven Da Vinci, he ends up with a little bit of all sorts of technical skills (I have him do a lot of carpentry at the outset of the fortress), and is the most likely to eventually be a multi-Legendary dwarf. He also does the bookkeeping, because nobody else here is fastidious enough to care about counting all the orthoclase in the fortress.

- One Fortress Foredwarf (5 Mason, 5 Building Designer)
Ruthless and efficient, this no-nonsense taskmaster keeps the working dwarves in line. She's the one holding the blueprints, issuing the orders, and keeping the miners and masons operating at peak efficiency (or else). As the sheriff, she has the authority to back up her threats with Justice. She's a dwarf with big ambitions and dreams of glory, and she's not about to allow her lazy and incompetent peers to hold her back.

- Two Laborers (no skills)
They do the mining, the heavy lifting, and whatever else is unsavory but necessary. Commoners or criminals from the Mountainhomes, they've accepted this lowly position with an almost-certainly-doomed fortress expedition as a ticket out of their old lives of poverty or imprisonment, with an opportunity to improve their lots. Maybe they will become legends and heroes, great warriors and builders of a new palatial dwarven kingdom. Maybe they will die horribly and be forgotten. No one really cares which!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 02:24:03 pm »

I'm still relatively new, so I haven't experimented much.

I'm thinking of trying this...

-Woodcutter/Security Guard Guy
-Herbalist/Grower
-Butcher/Tanner/Cook
-Brewer
-Hunter
-Carpenter/Woodcrafter
-Trader/Bonecrafter

...and living in some kind of wooden tree fort above ground. At least until I get too many migrants for the forest to sustain them.  ;)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »

I don't know why none of you would get at least one skilled miner. Sure its easy to level but with the scarcity of ore and gems I don't want to accidently hit a vien early on and lose any ore.

My embark usually looks like this

5 Miner x2
5 Armorsmith/5 Weaponsmith
5 Glassmaker- I like glass, havent liked the pottery stuff yet but I might start since toady fixed it in .20 (havent done a fort in .20 yet) so this might change cause I can then make jugs that work instead of barrels. In which case I might go 5 potter on top of the 5 glass. Glass is easy to level and all but I want to make high quality stuff from the get go so I can have a decent starting dining room statues etc.
6 Diagnoser, then the rest in various social skills (depends on his personality type), I usually use this dwarf for all my noble positions, I can't fathom why anyone would put skills in appraiser or oganizer or anything like that. That stuff is easy to level. A bunch of mini trades with the first caravan will do the job, and organizer is almost irrelevant. Hell I only do diagnoser so the dwarf is easy to pick out visually (using phoebius so he gets the doc graphic). I know you can level social pretty easy but I want to ensure this guy gets elected mayor so I dont have to deal with some other putz. He also never has any other labors but the health ones on so he is always chillin.
5 Axe/1 Shield/1 armor/ 1 doger/ 1 swimming x2 I nearly always embark in evil biomes so I nearly always set up military asap with bronze armor to deal with skeletal fun. Two dwarves just ensures I can have one always on duty. (Set up the schedule with 1/2 need per.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531
Pages: 1 2 [3]