Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress File Depot  (Read 12114 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 11:42:55 am »

Indeed. This has helped several community games, countless users wanting mods, and Toady himself with bugged files.

We should make a medal.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 12:57:38 pm »

For the past day the site has been down and for the past couple of weeks it's been working fitfully. My apologies. There have been problems related to my host moving my account between servers.
It's back up again now though, and should be running fine from this point on.

EDIT: so I thought... looks like the database server is having problems now. Hopefully they'll have it sorted out fairly soon.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:41:48 pm by Janus »
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 03:56:13 am »

OK, I dug around a bit and figured it out; for some reason, all of my database usernames were invalidated. They're still in place and set up so they should work, but the databases refuse connections from them. Creating new database users and switching to them fixed it. Bizarre.

Anyway, back up again, hopefully for good this time.

EDIT: I can finally confirm that they have all of the problems with my account sorted out. It should be pretty much smooth sailing beyond this point.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:16:01 pm by Janus »
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 06:56:38 pm »

Update:

I've just finished applying a major update to the site which I've been working on for the past few months. The list of major changes is as follows:
  • RSS feeds have been changed:
    • The "most downloaded" and "highest rated" feeds were a bit pointless for RSS feeds, and are removed.
    • The "newest files" feed has been moved to use a static file; the old link will still work, but should be updated.
    • When viewing a single category, you'll see an RSS link to watch for new files solely in that category.
  • The File Description box and Comment Text box are a bit more advanced:
    • More BBCode is supported.
    • They now have an array of buttons, dropdowns, and smileys above them to simplify usage of BBCode, much like a forum would.
    • There is a "Preview (in popup)" button which will show a preview of your message with the BBCode rendered.
    • A "quote" button is now available on existing comments to reply to them with a quote of their contents.
  • Rather than linking to the search form for author names on file listings, it now links to a new user data page. This page shows all file listings and comments the user has made on the site. For example: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=1
  • You can now set a time offset against the server time (-12 to +12) in your user panel so that times and dates shown throughout the site are adjusted to your timezone. On a related note, the current time and date (as calculated with your offset) is now shown towards the upper right of all pages.
  • You can now choose to receive e-mail notifications whenever a new comment is posted to a file which you have uploaded. These notifications will only be sent for comments made by others (not ones you add yourself), and only new comments rather than edits. This notification feature is disabled by default, and can of course be set in your user panel.
  • If you are logged in, you will now see a version filtering notice (defaulting to "All DF versions") next to the login info near the top of the page. If you click that, it will take you to your user panel where you can set up version filtering for whatever version of DF you're currently interested in. When set, this filtering will be apllied to the main index (index.php), category views (category.php), the Rankings page (rankings.php), Search pages (search.php), and the file list in User Info pages (who.php). Only files matching your version filtering criteria will be listed or referred to in those pages. You will still be able to visit any file listing page and download the files, you just won't see them on the pages mentioned above.
  • There is now a "Report To Admin" button available when viewing a file and logged in, for reporting illegal or otherwise problematic files.
  • The CAPTCHA has been swapped out for a more advanced design.
    • There are buttons to listen to audio of the code being spoken and to reload the image for a new random code.
    • The contact form now uses the CAPTCHA for guests, but logged-in users are exempt.
  • Uploaded files will now retain the filename they had when uploaded, due to new file handling methods. Previously, files were stored alongside each other and might be renamed by the site ("file.zip" => "file_1.zip") if an identical filename already existed.
  • The file upload form shows the progress meter correctly in all major browsers now due to a new upload method and some new browser persnicketyness workarounds.
  • Several theme tweaks here and there.
  • Many other small changes here and there, mostly behind the scenes.

So, if you were using the RSS feed to keep track of new files, be sure to update the link in your RSS reader.

EDIT: since there was such a huge amount of changes, it's remotely possible an updated bit slipped through the cracks. If you have any problems, let me know.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:04:05 pm by Janus »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 07:05:28 pm »

Wow, loads a lot faster! Thanks for providing this, Janus! Your site has been a great boon to DF!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »

Yeah, the DFFD is awesome, and even awesomer now. :) You rock.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 09:04:31 pm »

Ahh. you are the one behind dffd. Cheers. now, if you could only enforce a zip-only rule :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 01:40:52 am »

A few more updates, primarily to the voting system.

• Rating/voting system has been overhauled a bit. The changes visible to regular users:
    • You can now delete or change your existing rating for a file. Simply choose to rate it again.
    • Ratings can be chosen in finer increments (0-5 in steps of 0.5, rather than 1-5 in steps of 1.0).
    • Clicking the current file rating star image now goes to the rating screen if you're logged in (besides the existing "Rate File" button to do so). (file.php)
    • People can no longer rate their own files.
  • The version filter no longer applies to user info pages (who.php), so you see all files a user has uploaded regardless.
  • "(add comment)" link added to the top of the Comments table to make it more obvious. (file.php)
  • A file listing's original upload date is now shown alongside the last update in file listings; it wasn't displayed before. (file.php)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 02:00:22 am by Janus »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 07:42:35 pm »

The last of my latest batch of planned updates to the site is now in place:

• File listings can now be "watched" by users, which will notify you by e-mail whenever the "watched" file listing(s) have a new file uploaded or get a new comment
    • Of course, file authors aren't notified when they update their own file, and comment authors aren't notified of their own comments
    • File listings now have an extra button along the bottom to "Watch" or "Unwatch" them
    • When submitting a file listing, there is an additional checkbox at the bottom to Watch the file for new comments (or not)
    • When submitting a comment, there is likewise an additional checkbox at the bottom to Watch the file it's attached to for updates and new comments (or not)
    • The "E-mail me when people comment on my files" profile option has been replaced with the option "Auto-Watch files I upload or comment on", which will make the aforementioned checkboxes be ticked by default (or not). This option is enabled by default.
    • You can see the list of files you're watching on your profile page (the "User Panel" link in the login/logout area)
      • This list provides links to each watched file along with the ability to "unwatch" batches of them using checkbox options
  • The comments section is shown at the bottom of file listings even if there are no comments yet, basically as a reminder that the feature is there

The changes have been fairly thoroughly tested as usual, but there's always a chance something slipped through; let me know if you run into any problems.

EDIT: by the way, I've gone ahead and pre-set each file author to be "watch"ing their old file listings. You can of course Unwatch them by visiting your profile or by visiting the individual file listings as detailed above.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:46:03 pm by Janus »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 11:46:56 pm »

you sir are a god! ... dang pun not intended... or was it?
Pages: 1 2 [3]