Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress File Depot  (Read 12115 times)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 11:46:00 am »

Brilliant, Janus  :D

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 06:41:00 am »

Small update. I've split the Saved Games category into "Pregenerated Worlds", "Community Games", and "Bugged Saves" to give better distinction to the listings. All listings which were in the old Saved Games category have been moved to the appropriate new categories.

Also, I'd like to note that the upload form doesn't work correctly in the Safari browser (at least with version 2.0 on Mac OS). This mainly affects Mac users obviously since Safari is the default Mac OS browser and not widely used on Windows or Linux. The workaround would be to use another browser instead of Safari; Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera all have no problem with it.

Edited for grammar.

[ March 11, 2008: Message edited by: Janus ]

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Guardia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

Very nice, thank you very much Janus.

It will definitely be nice to have a site to keep track of all the Dwarf Fortress related content.

(As a side note your name is my other internet alias. Small world.)

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

The website seems to be down, Janus. Is this for maintenance?
stopped aerial births

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

Yeah, it was actually a server location move by my host which took a few hours. I just checked here and saw this question, but it's been back up for a while now.
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 06:17:00 am »

Nice work on the website by the way! You should consider placing some ads on the website to help cover some of the hosting costs. You know, gotta feed the kids. Can't live on kittens forever.
stopped aerial births

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 07:00:00 am »

Thanks for hosting and running this site!   :cool:

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Plac1d:
<STRONG>Nice work on the website by the way! You should consider placing some ads on the website to help cover some of the hosting costs. You know, gotta feed the kids. Can't live on kittens forever.</STRONG>

Nah, I don't plan to have any ads; I just don't like to do things that way. It's not actually costing me anything other than time and effort since it's on my existing hosting plan. Thanks, though.

quote:
Originally posted by gimli:
<STRONG>Thanks for hosting and running this site!    :)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

I just got through a round of changes and updates to the site.

Here's the list:

• Ratings were bugged and not displaying the actual correct values, and were additionally calculated incorrectly to begin with. This has been fixed, and the stars now show finer detail in increments of 0.5. Text rating is switched to being a mouseover popup text from the rating stars image.
  • Listings now track not just the total views and downloads for the listing, but also the views and downloads solely for the current version. These current version stats are reset whenever the author edits the listing and uploads a new file.
  • You will now get a pop-up message if you try to submit a listing without actually uploading a file. If it is a new listing, it will give a simple notification pop-up. If you are editing a listing, it will give an OK/Cancel pop-up letting you submit your changes without uploading a new file.
  • If you edit a listing and upload a new file for it, the listing's "last update" time will be updated. If you otherwise edit a listing without a new upload (to fix a typo or whatever), this "last update" time will not be changed.
  • "Newest file" on statistics page now points to latest update (for edited listings) rather than just the original listing date; the "Newest files" RSS feed is likewise fixed.
  • RSS feeds now give proper listing dates as well as a longer and better formatted description for each listing.
  • "Highest rated" RSS feed now only lists files which have been voted on, and now sorts secondarily by number of votes (still primarily by the actual rating, and lastly by the original listing date). For example, with two listings rated at 4.2 where one has 6 votes and the other has 10, the one with 10 votes will rank higher.

EDIT: I also just found that the rating calculation was completely wrong. I've fixed this as well, though unfortunately as a result (and due to how the rating is stored) I've had to delete all votes. My apologies, but everyone will need to vote again on any files which you had previously voted on.
I've made a further change to how the ratings are stored which should ensure I never need to wipe the votes again for any reason.

[ April 03, 2008: Message edited by: Janus ]

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 03:48:00 am »

Another site update:
  • Added entirely new "Rankings" page to the site. This new page will let you view the full list of files sorted by any of the following: last update, downloads per day, total downloads, rating, views, file size, or number of comments. Just click on the appropriate column header to choose different sort methods.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 02:49:00 am »

It looks like there is a minor issue on the site with character encoding in file listings getting botched up for people who are using a base language for their OS other than English.

Is there somebody here who can assist me in fixing it? I need somebody who uses Windows with a different core language than English (preferably Russian) and who also preferably has IE7 installed.
The assistance will really just consist of creating a quick file listing on my test copy of the site with an accented character in the title and description, then editing the listing once or twice. If my proposed fix of defining the site as UTF-8 doesn't work, I might need the process to be repeated a few times until I do get the problem fixed for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

Nobody?
The one person who has encountered this problem apparently isn't interested in assisting with the fix, and the problem doesn't seem to happen with people using a base language of English (like myself).

Oh well. If/when somebody else posts an accented character like "û" on the site and it comes out wrong for them after submission, please use the contact form on the site and we can hopefully get the problem taken care of then.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 02:45:05 pm »

Depending on your browser of choice and whether you upload files or not, a minor or major update is now in place. I've come up with a workaround for Safari and Google Chrome (or more precisely WebKit which they're built on) which makes the file upload form work in them. Well, for the most part: the progress meter will unfortunately not properly update to show progress while the file is uploading, but the upload process will complete properly and show that it is completed.
All other browsers are unaffected, as they worked correctly to begin with.  ;)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 09:35:19 pm »

Another round of very minor updates has been done on the site, just a few tweaks here and there.
The only really important update is that the maximum file upload  size has been bumped up from 50 MB to 100 MB.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 11:37:13 am »

Just wanted to say thanks for providing this extremely handy service.
Pages: 1 [2] 3