Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Still impossible for cloth blocks?  (Read 1597 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Still impossible for cloth blocks?
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:37:13 pm »

Just checking if it's still impossible to do. My Mongolian fort is lacking yak hair Yurts you see.
If theres some sort of voodoo reaction that allowed wood or stone converted blocks into cloth/yarn blocks that would be welcome too.

Thanks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Still impossible for cloth blocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:19:16 pm »

If nothing else, you can make a custom "stone" that's named "canvas" and is made from one or more regular cloth.  Just remove the various tokens for item use, and it'll be technically a stone (or maybe a wood or metal, if you prefer) that can't be used for anything.  Then make a custom reaction that takes "Canvas" and makes "Canvas Block" or just skip that step, and take X normal clothes and maybe some leather or lye or, dunno, something appropriate, and produce one block of canvas using the stone template.  Apparently, with the way clay works, you can define BLOCK_NAME or some similar tag, so you could have "Canvas Sheet" instead of "Canvas Block".

So, to my knowledge no, not cloth blocks, but there's always a way to work around the most glaring of problems.  It's the small, sneaky problems that are annoying.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

This has been possible for a while now. BLOCK_NAME is new, but there has been STONE_NAME for some time now. You can make blocks, stones or whatever you like out of whatever you like.

You might not even need to make a material if BLOCK_NAME works for creature materials.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:10:53 pm »

Wait, what's wrong with just making the blocks out of cloth through a reaction?  Does the game flip out?  I remember making blocks out of bone and pearl just fine back in 40d.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:18:26 pm »

I was working under the assumption that you couldn't, so I was offering alternatives.  If you can just define a cloth block, then pfft, that's easy!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:41:27 pm »

From the last search I did I was under the impression that this was very much impossible. It's possible that I'm very very wrong being only a dabbling modder.
If anyone feels like posting up a reaction to prove me wrong, it would make me extremely happy.
Anyway thanks for the fast replies. Stuck at uni for another 5 hours with no money to buy [more]booze so I was dwarfing it up.

Cheers.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:53:22 pm »

This should do it:

To be added to reaction_other.txt
[REACTION:MAKE_CLOTHBLOCK]
   [NAME:make cloth block]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_C]
   [REAGENT:cloth:150:CLOTH:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [ANY_BONE_MATERIAL]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:cloth:NONE]
   [SKILL:CLOTHESMAKING]

To be added to entity_default.txt anywhere in the dwarf entry.
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_CLOTHBLOCK]

Optionaly, you can add [BLOCK_NAME:tent sheet:tent sheets] to the thread material template entry for better naming.

If all works right, this should take a piece of cloth and turn it into block of cloth.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:56:29 pm »

On a different note, but somewhat related, it would make sense to allow leather sheets as well, as a good tanned hide makes a good tent material, or rather a few hides together.  Being leather, it should be worth more, of course, and perhaps a combo cloth+leather sheet worth even more?  I'm just thinking, that cloth tents are well and good, but expensive cloth tents are even better.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:00:29 pm »

While we're on the topic of corpsepiece reactions - can anyone tell me how to make bone coins? There was this book you see, and I'd dearly love to replicate some of it's amazingness ingame. You used to be able to, back before .40d, but by the .40ds I don't think you could anymore.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »

While we're on the topic of corpsepiece reactions - can anyone tell me how to make bone coins? There was this book you see, and I'd dearly love to replicate some of it's amazingness ingame. You used to be able to, back before .40d, but by the .40ds I don't think you could anymore.

Coins are kind of wonky to create through reactions since the item is supposed to have things depicted on it.

And what book?  :)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:24 am »

Grimlocke's reaction does work. Had to remove ANY_BONE_MATERIAL tag for it to work. As for renaming the blocks, one does get named blocks but when one starts to build a wall it gets renamed to Fibre Block Wall, no biggy really.

The reaction however does cause a metric crapton of blocks to be created however, which with one reaction made my craftsdwarf workshop pink *CLT*. I guess I can play with the numbers when i get home.

P.S. Thanks everyone who posted.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:46:32 am »

Does it produce 150 blocks?  If so, this is very strange, as the reaction previously posted should make just one block.  You may try changing that 150 to 1 and see if it uses the rounding game to hash together a working solution.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 01:33:47 am »

I'm pretty sure 150 is only for bars, not blocks.

Changing 150 to 1 should solve the problem.

Edit: I just now, like an hour after the post, realized girlinahat already said that. It's late, okay.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:21:54 am by Seriyu »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:42:41 am »

Coins are kind of wonky to create through reactions since the item is supposed to have things depicted on it.

And what book?  :)

The Orphan's Tales, by Catherynne Valente.

EDIT: It's a sort of 1001 Nights, if 1001 Nights wasn't just one country or regions folklore. Most of the really cool stuff in the two books involve "larval stages" (or at least, that's how it would translate into DF). The goldfish that becomes a maiden which becomes a dragon... for instance. I'll work it in as it comes, however, and a "bone" currency is the first step. That and metal immortal hedgehog cannonballs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:54:52 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:32:27 am »

I'm pretty sure 150 is only for bars, not blocks.

Changing 150 to 1 should solve the problem.

150 is just for bars.  However, thread has a typical PRODUCT_DIMENSION of 15000, and cloth seems to have a typical DIMENSION of 10000.  So you actually need to change it to [REAGENT:cloth:10000:CLOTH:NONE:NONE:NONE].

I read these values off the Hospital stocks screen.  The stock screen seems to increment the various medical supplies in increments of their typical dimensions.  The THREAD dimension is also on the wiki, under "Cheating."  I'll update the reactions page with this info.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)
Pages: [1] 2