Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Telling method of death?  (Read 1102 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Telling method of death?
« on: February 27, 2011, 06:39:31 pm »

Is there some way to look at a corpse or such, and determine how that person died?  Like, if I get a fresh haul of corpses and want to bury some underground and some in a tower, how could I separate them according to death type?

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Re: Telling method of death?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:03:20 pm »

Well,if the individual parts are still lying around the corpse, then you can get a pretty good idea of cause of death.

For example, say that the corpse is completely dismembered down to the toes. Chances are that it was either a x10 ☼Steel Serrated Disk☼ trap, or a really PO'd swordmaster. Or if absolutely nothing is lying around, then it's probably blunt trauma from a hammer or something.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:06:55 pm »

Combat logs, announcements, or examination of the scene of death provide the best cause-of-death info. Make notes on a piece of paper as they happen.

Partial skeletons or mutilated corpses result from having limbs removed. This can be from slashing weapons, falling from a great height, or a very strong blunt impact.

Otherwise, I don't think so. "Wear marks" would indicate that the corpse is partially burned or frozen. If it has a water coating, it was out in the rain, or inside in the well.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:08:21 pm »

erh...combat report and game log?
there are ways to know if someone is struck down or starved to death etc., in legend mod.
so a way is to backup you save, abandon the fort. then export the legend files and read through utility like legends viewer or world viewer.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:10:30 pm »

Hmm, yeah, I was hoping it would show the method by default.  I wanna do something special for all my elf-related deaths.  Can you assign a tomb to someone who's already dead?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:12:33 pm »

Hmm, yeah, I was hoping it would show the method by default.  I wanna do something special for all my elf-related deaths.  Can you assign a tomb to someone who's already dead?

No, but you can revoke tomb rights for the unworthy by dismantling the coffin.

EDIT: elf-related? You can examine elf weapons to see if one of them has a kill listed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:14:22 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:28:23 pm »

Good point, except that I usually burn or sell useless loot like that.  I'll probably do legends to check those already dead, and keep track manually for future deaths.