Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are underground crops influenced by seasons?  (Read 1023 times)

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are underground crops influenced by seasons?
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:56:21 pm »

just came to me lol.
Doesn't make so much sense to me lol.
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are underground crops influenced by seasons?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:15:29 pm »

because this is how it is in real life

there is more to seasons then just time when the sun rises and sets and the weather

il probably not be able to prove it to you, but even in caves totally isolated from the outside world for millions of years, the life lives by its seasons

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »

This doesn't seem to be a suggestion at all... If you want to make general comments or jokes, you should use the DF General or DF Fortress Mode forums for that.

In the bottom left of the thread, if you were the thread's creator, you have the ability to move a thread.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:24:36 pm »

There's an implicit suggestion that underground crops shouldn't be influenced by seasons.

It definitely does make sense that they should be much less influenced by them than above-ground crops, which currently aren't season-oriented at all for some bizarre reason.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:12:36 pm »

I agree that it would make more sense to have above ground crops be seasonal and underground ones be year round.  It would also make sense IMO to have above ground crops be limited by biome features other than degree of good/evil.  Some crops need more humidity and would not grow in the desert, some need more sun and won't grow in a jungle, and trying to grow anything on a glacier is not going to be very successful in real life.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:17:46 pm »

It would also make sense IMO to have above ground crops be limited by biome features other than degree of good/evil.

They already are in the sense of where they'll grow, but not where you can plant them.

There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:56:01 pm »

See: Improved Farming Thread.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 12:18:58 am »

The short answer is bad building insulation. The long answer also involves a combination of fantasy* and game balance

*As per the very fact that they're growing crops both without sunlight (to sustain the plants) AND without any significant input of organic matter (to sustain the fungi, which are, admittedly, more numerous)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 12:39:59 am »

I predict the actual game design reason is as follows:

Toady implemented underground plants. To make farming more interesting, he made the plants seasonal. This at the time was all the farming we had. At some point, he then added above-ground farming, but that got less focus so certain things, like seasons, never got fleshed out.

That's probably wrong, but it seems like a likely enough explanation for what happened here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:35:36 am »

just came to me lol.
Doesn't make so much sense to me lol.

Moisture, Temperature, and Fauna activity (such as worms)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 01:39:07 am »

I predict the actual game design reason is as follows:

Toady implemented underground plants. To make farming more interesting, he made the plants seasonal. This at the time was all the farming we had. At some point, he then added above-ground farming, but that got less focus so certain things, like seasons, never got fleshed out.

That's probably wrong, but it seems like a likely enough explanation for what happened here.

I kind of assumed this was the case as well.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 02:10:44 am »

Lol? It doesn't fit.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.