Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Winning Is Fun  (Read 1681 times)

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Winning Is Fun
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:51:58 pm »

In my current nanofort I have had mood after mood producing worthless artifacts and epically useless craftsdwarves. (I don't manipulate moods and artifact construction; I prefer to let luck have its way with my dorfs.)

I was beginning to doubt the wisdom of this approach after the second legendary clothesmaker - at least the legendary carpenter produces awesome beds and happy thoughts - when my armorer, who had been toiling away on copper shields for resmelting to painfully level him up, finally hit a mood. And what did he make, en route to becoming a +4 legendary armorer of awesomeness?

Bobetibel Anzish Zan Triflingzeniths the Alchemy of Artifacts, an adamantine mail shirt encircled with bands of adamantine and menacing with spikes of elephant bone, worth 1,086,000.

HELL yeah. Now my melee squad is turning in its -steel breastplates- for masterwork bluemetal gear, and the goblin tribes will know fear...

Tell your stories of epic success here. Because winning is also fun.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:53:47 pm by bobhayes »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Winning Is Fun
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 03:53:40 pm »

Gotta admit, that's pretty boss.

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:54:49 pm »

WIN!!!!!! YOU CANT WIN IN DWARF FORTRESS
I dont know the meaning of WIN

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:56:44 pm »

It makes up for the palm statue, the rope reed fiber cloak, the leather bag, the wooden and chalk crowns, the silk hood, the elephant bone pick, and the sapphire bracelet, that's for sure.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 04:05:45 pm »

A statue seems like a perfectly good mood item. If it can be built as furniture, it can be admired in a statue garden.
Soaplent green is goblins!

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 04:17:57 pm »

A statue seems like a perfectly good mood item. If it can be built as furniture, it can be admired in a statue garden.

And it has been, but being made of crappy wood its not worth very much.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 04:18:37 pm »

Is dwarf enjoyment based on quality or on value?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:48:24 pm »

Presumably value.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 04:56:43 pm »

It correlates.  Higher quality means higher value.  But plain platinum will be better than master wood.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »

I'm always more on how cool an artifact is, not just how useful (though in some cases usefulness enhances coolness, such as a weapon or armor).  For example I had one dwarf in a mood make a wooden figurine, effectively useless as it cannot be used or placed, just sit in a stockpile somewhere or sell for far more then I can buy back from a caravan (plus I have plenty of stuff to trade anyways).

However, it is a figurine of the dwarf named after me laughing as a dark strangler begs for its life as well as an image of my dwarf being promoted to militia captain.  Just awesome (IMO), far better then an iron sword of the highest quality with spikes of iron and whatever (though my coolest one was a silver spear studded with iron and other things that had an image of the diety of murder, or something like that, on it).

As for 'win'? I once had a named dwarf (as in, a dwarf I give a unique custom name to) lose both of his arms in a fight (one at the elbow, one at the shoulder), survive (this was in mid 31's, so infection and such was in, and medical science was.. Limited..) to the point of recovering completely (just wandered around a lot) and then fought off an attack of a giant cave rat when the caverns vomited up a bunch of monsters into my fort.

-MB

-MB

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:12:23 pm »

or sell for far more then I can buy back

You can't sell an artifact...
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:52:04 pm »

The most I've got out of an artifact is a weaponsmith taking 3 adamantine wafers and a few high value materials to make a 3M worth giant blade (trap component). Awesome.

Generally, I do control the materials of promising artifacts, so that a platinum bar is used instead of copper, or the star ruby instead of a worthless opal.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:01:38 pm »

move into demonic fortress and then mine ou the whole map, apart from the outside most rim and the bottom slade levels?

doing it now, god knows how many in-game years it would take.

and i basically train everyone in some useful craft skills, other than craftdwarf. and send away their lowly made stuffs to hippies.
so when a mood strikes, one will not make a crap out of potentially good materials.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 10:17:30 pm »

There is no dwarven word for win, lose, victory, or defeat. There is, however, a word for failure.
My greatest success was when some dude made a steel axe worth 1656000 with blue spikes. His name was Oddom Boulderstrong.
Speaking of names, my mayor's name is Virginrough. What does this mean?   :o
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 10:21:40 pm »

Speaking of names, my mayor's name is Virginrough. What does this mean?   :o
Worry.
Pages: [1] 2