Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Webbing Cages  (Read 3536 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Webbing Cages
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:10:28 pm »

Ok, I've tried.  I got a tame GCS and some naked mole dogs.  I've walled off an area, attempting to web some cages, the wall them off in such a way that anything coming through must pass over the cages.  I have my spider on a chain nearby, in easy view of the cages.  There's 8 cages, with a chain in the center.

1st: Build mole dog cage beside chain.  Assign the dog.  It's immediately caged while being hauled.

2nd: Deconstruct a few cage traps.  Assign mole dog to chain.  Urist McHauler gets frightened and drops the dog.  Killed by cave spider as it runs around.

3rd: Urist McHauler grabs an empty cage, hauls the mole dog to the stockpile, and then releases it.  Killed by nearby metalsmith who happens to like punching things.

4th: Animal chained, somehow.  Spider is sitting on his own chain minding his own business.  No web is happening here.

How the heck do you lure a GCS into webbing a cage?!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Webbing Cages
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:17:24 pm »

1. It's easier to use untamed GCS - tamed ones only web in self-defense.
2. GCS will only web if they can path to their target. So they can't be restrained unless the cages are right next to the chain, which introduces the risk of your dwarves getting caught while unchaining it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »

Will they web through fortifications?  I'm thinking of setting up a pressure plate and a hatch/bridge, so that the path is removed as soon as the spider goes for the target.  I know one of those triggers on a delay and the other triggers instantly.  So, Cage - Some Floor - Pressure Plate - Bridge - Bait, with walls around it and such.  Release spider.  It runs after the bait, webbing as it goes.  Hits the plate, path disappears, and it idles.  Steps off, bridge returns, repeat.  Can include a stone door on the back, so the door can be selectively opened to re-cage the spider.

This will work, right?

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 02:22:57 pm »

Code: [Select]
|====|
|^^^||
|¢+d+|
|^+§+|
| +^+|
|S+^+|
| +^+|
| +^+|
| +^!|
|=+^+|

Something like this. Release S when FB approaches d. The S should spray webs around the cage traps. The S is prevented from actually reaching the d because of the pressure plate attatched to the hatch. Before the FB kills the d, release another dog in the cage (!). The FB should path back and go over the cage traps, some which will have webs on them. If you time it right the FB should go after the second dog instead of the floor hatch. If the FB paths toward the floor hatch, hopefully the cage traps on top will also be webbed. After destroying the floor hatch, it should go back anyways.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:25:45 pm by ext0l »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »

Is there a way to get creatures to shoot normally at things they can't path to? I kind of want to be able to shoot things using magma crabs or fire imps.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:36:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, this messy bit of work, actually worked!  This is my front wall (actually, my extended wall.  I had to expand my fort to do this) with a gate at the front, for security.  Behind the gate is a narrow corridor, which has some cage traps.  The spider, marked S, placed in the corridor, will go after the bait animal, marked A.  As soon as it goes forward, it steps on the pressure plate, which opens the hatches and prevents movement, giving the spider a 1x2 moving area.  Most time the spider doesn't web, but sometimes it does before it steps forward, so eventually it'll shoot some web.  Eventually, one of these webs will land on one of the cage traps located behind the bait animal.  The cages have some separation from the bait, because chances were very high that the bait would accidentally get caged while trying to flee.

Once the web was in place, the door, marked D, was opened.  It's a stone door, set to impassable, and as soon as I unlocked it the spider walked out and re-trapped itself for handy-dandy removal to the stockpile.  Then, the front gate was opened.  The titan, rushing to slaughter me, ran straight into the first cage trap as pretty as you please, and was captured in a split.

I now have a functioning, re-usable titan/FB cage system.  Because my fort is located with a cave nearby, the surface is naturally connected to the first cavern, which means any FB in the first cavern will path their way straight to my fort and into my waiting cage setup.  I can now reliably harvest as many FB, Titans, and other nasties as I want!

For once, I won't mind a party.  Urist McSlacker has organized a party at the Titan Cage!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 01:11:44 am »

Lucky. I wish I could find a cave, I've never seen even one...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 03:45:34 am »

Any way I could get a save, Girlin? Need it so I can examine the trap and learn how to make them... Still VERY new to pressureplates and web cages and etc.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:07:24 am »

Seems I've got a popular save.  It's got a cave, war with elves, no goblins, metals, flux, etc...  civ even has copper, tin, and iron!  Two kinds of iron ore even!  I'll try and figure out how to DFFD it.

LordHavoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 05:46:22 am »

I've never tried this personally. But I may have a try.
I've broken this down into the following

1 - Getting the spider to shoot
2 - keeping a victim alive
3 - Getting a spider back under control
4 - Getting the spider to shoot webs at cages

I've not used in-game characters for my illustration, I've made it to look more visual in ascii.
The key is:
# = wall
S = Spider
- = door
L = Lever
c = untrapped cage
T = trapped cage
v = victim

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The design is simple. A small enclosed corridor with two cage traps separating each end. Put a spider cage at one end and a victim cage at the other end. At the victim side, put a load of cages(but not trapped).
Have both the victim and spider cages linked to levers at each end. And the doors linked to a central lever.

Usage: open each of the cages via the levers. Then open the doors via the central lever. The spider should go nuts and start chucking webs at the victim. But before they tear each other apart the cage traps in the center should capture them again. With a bit of luck one or more of the untrapped cages should hopefully be hit by webs.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 05:59:37 am »

I'll try and figure out how to DFFD it.
Yes, please do.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher