Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Circus Depth.  (Read 867 times)

Sinlessraptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circus Depth.
« on: February 27, 2011, 01:44:02 pm »

What Z-level is it likely for me to find the circus at, as i've found adamantine at -36 and after digging up all of the exposed ore, I'm worried about digging deeper.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Circus Depth.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:45:15 pm »

What's the lowest level of your map?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:10:50 pm »

About 4 above the bottom.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 02:35:33 pm »

It's fairly random and tends to depend on the depth of your map. The HFS itself is no less than the lowest 4 z-levels, but on deeper maps it can be as high as thirty. What you're asking is how much safe adamantine you can mine out, isn't it? The only level of an adamantine vein that is guaranteed to be safe is the top level, but every level has some mineable adamantine around the edges - just don't mine into the 4x4 or larger areas, since the delicious gooey center of an adamantine pop is 2x2.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:40:42 pm »

I once heard that the gooey center is only to be found at the level of the magma sea, and that above this level everything was safe. It was'nt true?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:43:07 pm »

Most certainly not. I have accidentally unleashed the HFS into the third cavern before by mining out a stockpile around an adamantine vein I forgot was there.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 02:47:46 pm »

Most certainly not. I have accidentally unleashed the HFS into the third cavern before by mining out a stockpile around an adamantine vein I forgot was there.

Yeah, it can easily reach that high because I did a similar thing.  If only there were a prompt whether to mine out the adamantine vein in those circumstances...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 02:50:49 pm »

I once found HFS at lvl 5 down (with walls made of normal stone. Meaning I carved fortification windows into the side of it and looked it. I first saw it through the underwater volcano that was also on the map.)

And another time, with a similar half-mega-elevated bugged map, I had the HFS unleashed upon embark. They never reached me, tho, because the frame rate was to slow so I just abandoned.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 05:23:47 pm »

Yeah, it can easily reach that high because I did a similar thing.  If only there were a prompt whether to mine out the adamantine vein in those circumstances...

Digging designation canceled: Comedic Stone

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 05:32:59 pm »

Digging designation canceled: Comedic Stone

That poor miner...he was fortunately able to wall himself in with them and save the fort but his death was horrifying.  It might not have been as much of a catastrophe if it wasn't spring of the fort's second year.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.