Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 3.19 Worth a shot?  (Read 3319 times)

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19 Worth a shot?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 09:55:55 pm »

I really like .19. Take your time with the finder - and use the new "find" features.

One other bug I think got fixed that I haven't seen mentioned: you can assign "metal" as a material in uniforms now. Makes things muuuuch faster in there. No need to specify iron/steel/whatever.

Chickens, nest boxes, and squabbling animals are just high f'n comedy. Worth the price of admission by themselves. Pasturing is very helpful.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 10:21:54 pm »

I really like .19. Take your time with the finder - and use the new "find" features.

One other bug I think got fixed that I haven't seen mentioned: you can assign "metal" as a material in uniforms now. Makes things muuuuch faster in there. No need to specify iron/steel/whatever.

Chickens, nest boxes, and squabbling animals are just high f'n comedy. Worth the price of admission by themselves. Pasturing is very helpful.

I'll be sad when any nesting wild life no longer makes a beeline for my empty nest boxes. The cage traps on the way make those nest boxes profitable.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 12:56:54 am »

So crop farming now doesn't need mud, just soil?

PRAISE JEEBUZ!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 02:18:48 am »

though marksmen are broken again, they won't pick up ammo anymore..

Err.. I'm using .19 and I've had no problems with marksmen, they are equipping themselves and using their ammo just fine (have been for the past four or five years in my current fort).

-MB

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 03:40:36 am »

Fifth world with no anvils available - I WANT to try 19, but I want DWARF fortress, not ELF fortress!!!!  That means metal, not wood.

One more world gen, then I'm back to 31.18!

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 05:21:58 am »

Well, I have an anvil now, but it's not much use.

I have 5 layers of nothing but chalk and a few opals.  Seriously - nothing else.  No other rock types, no minerals, no coal, nothing but chalk. Took most of the evening to mine that out and ended up with some nice tunnels.

Also, the hive and nest options aren't available in this fort - seems a random but common feature here.

And you can farm without water.  So easy it seems like cheating.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 05:23:44 am »

Err.. I'm using .19 and I've had no problems with marksmen, they are equipping themselves and using their ammo just fine (have been for the past four or five years in my current fort).

-MB

Thank goodness for that...

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 05:59:59 am »

Fifth world with no anvils available - I WANT to try 19, but I want DWARF fortress, not ELF fortress!!!!  That means metal, not wood.

One more world gen, then I'm back to 31.18!

In a muck-around game of 31.18 I had a lot of success changing metals into stone layers, creating custom worldgen. Probelm was I had way too much metal, so much that normal stone (other than marble) became a rare and precious commodity> I had about 50% layers of gold and 50% layers of Spoilerite :P - worldwide that is (I nuked all the useless stone types - no more f-ing Gabbro ;P )

No reason the same technique (cut and paste ore definition to the stone layers file and add tags for igneousedimentary or metaporphic) couldn't work in 31.19.

Though if I do it again I'd tone it down a little. I had like 5000+ gold bars and 1000's of Adamantiums. All my drinks/food were in gold barrels, and still couldn't use it up!

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 06:32:45 am »

The metal scarcity thing is really weird. I had absolutely no luck finding any metal ores on my last 10 or so fortresses, then today I created a new world and set the site finder to find both shallow and deep metals (and no aquifer, and a river, and soil... hey, a guy can dream) and I got a site with about 6 veins of hematite running through the soil and stone right at the surface, with flux stone a bit beneath them. And there were enough trees to fuel my eventual steel industry as well!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 08:37:43 am »

The site finder became absolutely crucial in .19, make sure you set it for multiple shallow metals and preferably some deep ones too.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 08:42:02 am »

-MB

Same here. No problems with marksdwarves picking up bolts.

Like .18, the first 100 bolts will be assigned to hunters unless you go into the (m)ilitary (f)ammo screen and remove/reduce them. I think this is what causes problems for most people. I usually make so many bolts that I don't even bother though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:45:44 am by ral »

Maugrimmau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 08:55:14 am »

How are the liquid spatters? The dev log for .19 said they should be improved now, but I can't find any discussion of whether it's manageable and no longer destroys your FPS. Anyone figured out what's changed with them and if it's sufficient?

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 01:17:48 pm »

I kind of like the scarcity of metals a bit, it makes things like leather and bone more valuable. In .18 I was just swimming in iron, there was no purpose to a lot of the other materials in the game - iron armor is obviously better then leather or bone. Plus if you have iron and flux, well... may as well hold out for steel.

Man I know, I would end up walking around with naked soldiers because I kept thinking "nah I'll have steel armor in a season we'll be fine" since I didn't want to deal with all the equipment re-equipping bugginess.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 01:50:15 pm »

How are the liquid spatters? The dev log for .19 said they should be improved now, but I can't find any discussion of whether it's manageable and no longer destroys your FPS. Anyone figured out what's changed with them and if it's sufficient?

I can't enumerate what's changed but everything aside from the forgotten beast issues seems to have cleared up. Six months after a forgotton beast showed up I started having FPS issues, the next time I get a chance to play I'll see if removing secretions fixes that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:09:59 pm by BishopX »

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »

I'd say go on with .19. Probably .19 saves and .20 versions will be compatible. So for a few days you should survive the bugs :P - they aren't that bad... After that you have fortress with new features and bugfree!
Also, I like scarcity of metals. Just pick sites that say they have metals. Trading is actually important now, game is overall more challenging.

And my marksdwarves are doing fine - no new bugs here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3