Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 3.19 Worth a shot?  (Read 3316 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
3.19 Worth a shot?
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:55 am »

Gonna be playing DF again. Should I try 3.19? I've read about the scarcity on metals, the need for pastures, eggs, ceramics, bees. Are the new features worth the problems? Or should I stick to an earlier version? And what's all this on dwarves making leather out of their own skin?  ???

Just asking before I download.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19 Worth a shot?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:59 am »

I'm enjoying it. Bees are cool, pastures are cool, chickens are awesome (put some traps around your empty nest boxes though). Proper use of the site finder can ensure you have some metals. No where near the amounts you had in in .18 though.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:32:50 am »

It's near the end of bugfixing two weeks. Wait for the bugfixed version if you can.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:39:51 am »

Thanks to Bishop's comment, I'll be finding it very hard to do so, metime00  :P

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 12:41:58 pm »

I'm enjoying it. Bees are cool, pastures are cool, chickens are awesome (put some traps around your empty nest boxes though). Proper use of the site finder can ensure you have some metals. No where near the amounts you had in in .18 though.
Cyan one and gypsum all the time actually :/
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:49:27 pm »

I'd honestly suggest you wait for a bit. Right now stuff like bees causing sieges in the first year and Cinnabar, Microcline and Cobaltite counting as metals randomly assigned to a map, are really annoying. Plus having metal suddenly scarce without having the trading framework necessary to compensate is just... tedious.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:32 pm »

Yes. I know, and I will. All the same, I was very tempted by that comment.  :D

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:24:58 pm »

On the other hand food is now an oder of magnitude easier to acquire. Between the farming changes and nest boxes I was self-sufficient by mid summer of the first year.

I wouldn't recommend starting your fort to end all forts in .19, but there are a whole bunch of improvements.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 02:05:45 pm »

It's worth it to familiarize yourself with some of the cool new features but I'd wait until the next round of bugfixes before getting completely in to it. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »

though marksmen are broken again, they won't pick up ammo anymore..
Nom nom nom

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 02:17:01 pm »

though marksmen are broken again, they won't pick up ammo anymore..

I am sad to hear that.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »

If the metal issues won't drive you nuts then go ahead and give it a try, just make sure to pick a site with shallow metal, deep metal, and start some exploratory mining early so you can figure out what your 2 or 3 metals are.

I personally don't stress about the lack of iron ore. Right now my guys are running around in copper armor with silver battle axes and they're kicking ass. My deep metal is gold which I already have 1,000 bars of that I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with. Everyone already has their own personal gold chest and cabinet. All they need now are gold walls and floors.

Every new feature but pastures you can just ignore if you want. In my case I just slaughter all my grazing animals as soon as I get one since I ended up with years and years worth of prepared egg meals from about 20 nest boxes.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 02:28:48 pm »

Make tons of gold goblets and sell them for $$$.
OT: I think I don't like .19 as much as .18, but that's probably because the over-abundance of metals has spoiled me. I do like the new animals, though.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 02:41:01 pm »

I kind of like the scarcity of metals a bit, it makes things like leather and bone more valuable. In .18 I was just swimming in iron, there was no purpose to a lot of the other materials in the game - iron armor is obviously better then leather or bone. Plus if you have iron and flux, well... may as well hold out for steel.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 02:56:59 pm »

bugfix .20(i suppose that's the versiong number) is out very soon.
so i'd say now .19 is only worth a shot for non-serious play, i.e. trying out the new features.
Pages: [1] 2 3