Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Remove clothes from all non-dwarf entities?

Yes
- 21 (36.2%)
No
- 37 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.4]  (Read 48921 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.3.6] - NOW LINUX/MAC COMPATIBLE!
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2011, 07:47:36 am »

A quick update:

I have started community fortress for the latest version of the mod. Check here if you are interested. The purpose of the fortress is to remind me what I have and if there was any balance problems which I haven't fixed and have forgotten.

I'm also forced to remove the graphical update for now, as it's more or less broken for now. Not sure if it's due the graphical set or if I'm to blame for the problems but the animal graphics (at least) are totally broken, displaying wrong graphics and cutting the graphics from wrong locations. In example, dogs are showing the head of black/grey animal only (I think it's one of the apes) and donkeys are missing the end of their head while showing the end of the head of next tile. Not sure what's causing this so I removed the graphical update for now.

The current plan is to continue with the rest of the features and tweaks, release the 0.4.0 version and then see if I can implement the graphical update to the mod.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2011, 12:11:15 pm »

A quick update:

I have started community fortress for the latest version of the mod. Check here if you are interested. The purpose of the fortress is to remind me what I have and if there was any balance problems which I haven't fixed and have forgotten.

I'm also forced to remove the graphical update for now, as it's more or less broken for now. Not sure if it's due the graphical set or if I'm to blame for the problems but the animal graphics (at least) are totally broken, displaying wrong graphics and cutting the graphics from wrong locations. In example, dogs are showing the head of black/grey animal only (I think it's one of the apes) and donkeys are missing the end of their head while showing the end of the head of next tile. Not sure what's causing this so I removed the graphical update for now.

The current plan is to continue with the rest of the features and tweaks, release the 0.4.0 version and then see if I can implement the graphical update to the mod.

This problem with graphics is caused by the graphics tile page having improper dimensions.  This took me a while and quite a bit of frustration to track down.  The problem with one one of my graphics for LFR ended up being that the strip of 16x16 tiles was one tile longer than I told the graphics file, so the game sort of "compressed" that extra tile into the previous tiles, resulting in mismatched tile breaks.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:13:27 pm by narhiril »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2011, 03:06:06 pm »

Yeah, I think I know what caused the problem. Not 100% sure but it could have been the graphics_DFA_animals.txt file. Unfortunately I had already reverted to the old graphic set version, so can't test this out without adding it again. I think I will do that when I have the 0.4.0 ready and 0.4.1 will be the graphical update.

For the record, I had a little accident with the work of adventure reactions. I had the file open for few days and at some point during last Friday my computer decided to reboot itself due Windows Automatic Update -feature. So I kinda lost all the adventure mode reactions except wood gathering. Oh well, at least this reminded me to save more often...  :-[

I have also added Dwarven Lamination -mod, which was made by arclance. I will also do some testing if it's possible to make the game demand certain castes for specific noble positions properly. What I have gathered from other sources is that if you use [CREATURE_CLASS] tag for this it should work in fortress mode, even though the legends mode doesn't take it in account. The only problem with this is the syndromes I have, not sure yet if it's possible to add multiple [SYN_AFFECTED_CRETURE_CLASS] tags to syndromes, as it also uses the [CREATURE_CLASS] tag as reference.

I have also some nifty ideas about the military training, especially for dodge and other skills not related to weapons. The idea is to include special item, for now I'm calling it Military Training Manual, which is used as reagent and the training reactions produce the same item. This single item could be used for things like dodge, archery, fighting, armor using and such. Archery as well, as you can learn about the science behind the archery (physics like taking account wind, elevation and distance) without firing a single bolt. At least this was the method we used while I was serving my time in military. There could also be a special item called "Bundle of Training Bolts" which can be used to train crossbowman skill without using the actual archery range, which is more or less buggy still.

Lots of ideas which I may or may not incorporate in 0.4.0, feel free to comment especially the creature class thing and training feature. So if you have some ideas about these things I'm quite interested in hearing about them.  ;)

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2011, 07:18:25 am »

Time for small status update again...  :P

I have been working with adventure reactions, currently I have all the material gathering reactions ready. This means wood gathering, mineral mining, flux stone mining and coal mining. I have also finished with all the ore smelting reactions. Getting leather and bone was already in the game due butchering being part of the vanilla DF.

Next I will concentrate to crafting reactions. For now I will settle down with reactions to make anvils, weapon productions and armor productions. I could throw in few crafts as well, so that player has something else to sell except weapons and armor. I will also include the possibility to smelt certain items, mostly armor and weapons for now.

I have also tweaked the POPRATION of noble castes, so that those have better chance of appearing. Not a major chance but something I felt necessary if the plans of using CREATURE_CLASS works as intended.

Speaking of CREATURE_CLASS, if all goes well bellow is the list of noble positions it will affected. First is the position and next is the caste required for the position. Note that while using CREATURE_CLASS I don't make a difference about male and female, only few religion positions have requirement of males, and that is controlled by other tag.
  • Monarch -> Noble
  • General -> Noble
  • Lieutenant -> Noble
  • Captain -> Noble
  • Militia Commander -> Warrior
  • Militia Captain -> Warrior
  • Captain of the guard -> Warrior
  • Mayor -> Noble
  • Manager -> Noble
  • Broker -> Noble
  • Bookkeeper -> Noble
  • Duke -> Noble
  • Count -> Noble
  • Baron -> Noble
  • Champion -> Warrior
  • Tax Collector -> Noble
  • Hammerer -> Warrior
  • Grand Master -> Warrior
  • Priest -> Holy
  • Primate -> Holy
  • Archpriest -> Holy

After I have dealt with the nobility positions I will work a bit with the training system. See my previous post for more info about that. ;)

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2011, 01:27:10 am »

Hi, I found a problem with your mod : I can't pray for mushrooms. The option doesn't appear neither in the altar, nor in both of the temples.

It's a great mod anyway, thanks a lot for your work !

EDIT : I found why : the reaction is not misnamed in entity_default.txt. It's named PRAY_FOOD while it should be PRAY_MUSHROOMS.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:23:22 am by Ikaruga »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2011, 08:26:29 am »

Thanks for pointing this out!

Usually there are errors if there are reactions permitted in entity file but the reaction itself doesn't exists. It appears that, while the correct reaction name is PRAY_MUSHROOM the entity file is looking for PRAY_FOOD. I will fix it for the next version, though while waiting for it it's quite easy to fix yourself. Open the entity_default.txt, look for [PERMITTED_REACTION:PRAY_FOOD] under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN], it should be found under the Mod reactions -subheader, and change the tag to [PERMITTED_REACTION:PRAY_MUSHROOM]

I think I in some point used the PRAY_FOOD as the reaction name, but changed it to PRAY_MUSHROOM to give more room for new possible temple reactions, and totally forgot to change the tag in entity file as well. Still can't understand why there are no errors about missing reactionn...

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:06 pm »

Hi, I found a problem with your mod : I can't pray for mushrooms. The option doesn't appear neither in the altar, nor in both of the temples.

EDIT : I found why : the reaction is not misnamed in entity_default.txt. It's named PRAY_FOOD while it should be PRAY_MUSHROOMS.

There's also something in the mithral forging raw file for the drows...

Spoiler: oh dear (click to show/hide)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2011, 04:43:31 pm »

If you look carefully, the reagent is mithil, while the product is mithal. While only separated by one letter those two are definitely different metals.  ;)
I know, I have few times mistook one for another.

The current situation with the mod is that I'm rewriting the manual right now. No more new features will be added to 0.4.0, and only crucial fixes which I happen to notice while playing my 0.3.6 community fort Evercage will be added. The writing of manual may take some time, hopefully no more than next week, depending on my shifts at work. The reason of taking so long is that it's total rewriting and will include all the tables and descriptions needed for proper playing. So, with the manual, you shouldn't need to look at the raws to determine something, unlike in 0.3.6 and earlier versions. This means that I have to check, recheck and check again everything from raws, which takes some time due the huge amount of files, different features spread over many files.

For the features, I had to make some compromises about what is included in this release and what will be saved for future releases. Especially this will hit adventure reactions, even though I have dozen or so such reactions ready. I just had to draw the line somewhere, otherwise the 0.4.0 will never get released. My plan also is to release the new version before the next version of vanilla Dwarf Fortress so that I have at least some of the new features ready and tested before the huge task of converting the mod to next version.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2011, 05:43:23 pm »

If you look carefully, the reagent is mithil, while the product is mithal. While only separated by one letter those two are definitely different metals.  ;)
I know, I have few times mistook one for another.

The current situation with the mod is that I'm rewriting the manual right now. No more new features will be added to 0.4.0, and only crucial fixes which I happen to notice while playing my 0.3.6 community fort Evercage will be added. The writing of manual may take some time, hopefully no more than next week, depending on my shifts at work. The reason of taking so long is that it's total rewriting and will include all the tables and descriptions needed for proper playing. So, with the manual, you shouldn't need to look at the raws to determine something, unlike in 0.3.6 and earlier versions. This means that I have to check, recheck and check again everything from raws, which takes some time due the huge amount of files, different features spread over many files.

For the features, I had to make some compromises about what is included in this release and what will be saved for future releases. Especially this will hit adventure reactions, even though I have dozen or so such reactions ready. I just had to draw the line somewhere, otherwise the 0.4.0 will never get released. My plan also is to release the new version before the next version of vanilla Dwarf Fortress so that I have at least some of the new features ready and tested before the huge task of converting the mod to next version.

Oh dear, how did I not notice the I and A....
Also, why is the reagent a bar? Do they have to re-forge the mithril to make mithral?

edit: I am having a bit of trouble making a wand... I'm trying to make an adamantine wand, but the guy just keeps on gathering, the poor forge is cluttered beyond help... I think it requires a bit too much materials...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:18:09 pm by magistrate101 »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2011, 11:52:19 am »

Oh dear, how did I not notice the I and A....
Also, why is the reagent a bar? Do they have to re-forge the mithril to make mithral?

Yep, you have to produce mithril either by smelting mithril ore or items made of it. It works the same way as producing metals like rose gold, pig iron, steel and so.

edit: I am having a bit of trouble making a wand... I'm trying to make an adamantine wand, but the guy just keeps on gathering, the poor forge is cluttered beyond help... I think it requires a bit too much materials...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ouch, poor dwarf! But think about the value of the wand, over 6323000 bucks!  :o ;D
But seriously, as the wand creation is handled inside the game mechanics as there is no special reaction for those, I think that bug is caused by missing [MATERIAL_SIZE:1]. Could you try to add that tag for the wand? The raws for it can be found from item_advanced_weapon.txt -file. If that's not the case then I'm in total loss of the culprit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:51:55 pm by Kipi »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:08 pm »

You just had to put the manual into a darn pdf file.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2011, 06:49:53 pm »

You just had to put the manual into a darn pdf file.

Sorry, but the manual will be in PDF format. Why? Because I'm writing it with Microsoft Word and PDF is the only format that supports all things like table of contents in every operating system (windows, linux, mac). I was considering the RTS format but the public opinion at some point was that the PDF would be the best.

I'm also sorry if I understood your comment wrong, if I did then please explain what you meant.

EDIT: If what I wrote above seems a bit harsh then I apologize, I just came from bar and I'm pretty drunk. No offense meant, really.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.4.0] - NOW LINUX/MAC COMPATIBLE!
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »

Finally I can announce the new version of Dwarf Fortress Advanced!

The latest version, 0.4.0, contains totally rewritten manual, dozen or so new reactions for adventure mode, few fixes and one tweak. Most of the time went with the adventure mode and manual, which isn't 100% ready yet but publishable.

Lots of things are waiting for to be included; revamped nobility, revamped syndrome system, new adventure mode reactions, totally new features (I'm looking at you, Archeology), perhaps new creatures and such.

The changelog:
Code: [Select]
v. 0.4.0
   - New Manual!
   - Improved the poprations of Noble castes (male and female)
   - Fixes
      -> Fixed the "Pray for mushrooms" reaction
      -> Fixed material size problem of wands
   - Adventure mode reactions
      -> Resource gathering
      -> Resource processing
      -> Crafting
         * Metal
            -> Weapons
            -> Armor
            -> Bolts
         * Wood
            -> Weapons (partial)
            -> Bolts
         * Bone
            -> Weapons (partial)
            -> Bolts

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:21 am »

This looks pretty interesting, but the download links appear to not be functioning. :\

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2011, 08:06:49 am »

This looks pretty interesting, but the download links appear to not be functioning. :\

Both of them at the first post doesn't work?

I just tested and works fine with my computer. It could have been a problem in the site's end.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12