Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Remove clothes from all non-dwarf entities?

Yes
- 21 (36.2%)
No
- 37 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.4]  (Read 48916 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod, version 0.1.4
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 09:39:25 am »

Small update:

I have been rather busy last few days, so not much of development has been made. I have included new race and entity, called Ancient Dwarf, and they are supposed to be the ancestors of original dwarves. Only small colonies have survived through time, and so there may be only one or two Ancient Dwarf civilizations in one world.

As the new version of DF has been published I'm going to turn this mod to support the new .20 version. So, next release will contain only the new entity as well as the support of latest version. I think I should be able to get the new version of DFA out today, in worst case tomorrow. After that I should have more time to be dedicated to this project again.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 11:24:09 am »

Since you have Archpriests and templars, you might consider adding a caste of lesser nobles who are like normal priests, that also perform the mayor's "Console" duty. They would be appointed as necessary, like militia captains.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 11:55:46 am »

Yes, that's something I have been planning to do for some time now, though there are still few minor details I'm trying to decide:
1) Number of priests AS_NEEDED or fixed number? Both options have advantages and disadvantages.
2) What room and population requirements priests should have? How about mandates?

There is also the issue of relations between the religion nobles. Should the archpriest be appointed by priests, so no priest means no archpriest? In a way that makes sense, on the other hand how often the archpriest is actually chosen be common priests instead of nobility? In this case, even though the priests are appointed through the nobility window, they are just above the common folk.

One possibility would also be to make a priest position, with AS_NEEDED tag, which can appoint new nobility called primate, with number something like three to five, who then can appoint the archpriest. So, without priests there will be no primates, and without primates there shall be now archpriest. And without archpriest there will be no Grand Masters and templars.

So in nutshell, the nobility will be expanded, but I just have to figure out the relations and such before doing that.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 09:23:10 am »

The new version is up!

Two changes in 0.1.5: First I updated to DF 0.31.21. Secondly, I added new race and entity, Ancient Dwarves. Tougher and stronger than normal dwarves while only having up to two civilizations in one world.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 11:36:38 am »

Yes, that's something I have been planning to do for some time now, though there are still few minor details I'm trying to decide:
1) Number of priests AS_NEEDED or fixed number? Both options have advantages and disadvantages.
2) What room and population requirements priests should have? How about mandates?

There is also the issue of relations between the religion nobles. Should the archpriest be appointed by priests, so no priest means no archpriest? In a way that makes sense, on the other hand how often the archpriest is actually chosen be common priests instead of nobility? In this case, even though the priests are appointed through the nobility window, they are just above the common folk.

One possibility would also be to make a priest position, with AS_NEEDED tag, which can appoint new nobility called primate, with number something like three to five, who then can appoint the archpriest. So, without priests there will be no primates, and without primates there shall be now archpriest. And without archpriest there will be no Grand Masters and templars.

So in nutshell, the nobility will be expanded, but I just have to figure out the relations and such before doing that.

I imagine normal priests would be like bookkeepers or managers, no mandates, and a requirement of an office of some sort, and perhaps a cell to sleep in. If there are a set number of priests, you'd start off with a clog of say, ten empty slots to be filled. However, as needed can eventually lead to the same result if the player recklessly appoints priests, as I've never observed a noble position, once created, to vanish when the office can still be assigned. Furthermore, nothing theoretically would prevent the player from making every dwarf a priest - unless priests didn't perform any labors. Even so, someone might like a fort of monks with their own cells and studies.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 12:20:22 pm »

Actually, I have already implemented the new priest hierarchy to the next version.

The lowest level is priests, who can be either males or females. They are appointed as needed, so no limit in there. The also have the responsibility of meeting workers, which I removed from expedition leader, mayor and forced admin. They have requirement of bedroom, nothing else, and they can not have normal labors.

The next level are primates, and there is max 6 of them. Appointed by priest(s) they require office, bedroom and dining room. Can make mandates, max one. They can also be only male.

The highest rank is archpriest, which had been implemented already. The only changes there I made  were the change of required population to 100 instead of 80 and to be appointed by primate(s) instead of mayor.

On the side note, I take it there is no way to determine which caste has access to which labors? So for example, no alchemy to other castes except one?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 01:51:28 pm »

you can increase the skill rate of a skill for a specific caste and decrease for others, making some dwarves learn something faster than others. i love to play with that, a neat concept i sometimes use is a female dwarven caste called "valkire", that are good shield users and spear users, and also good at treating wounds...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 02:42:36 pm »

Yup, I know that. Still it doesn't make the caste unable to perform certain labors. I think that's something which is impossible to achieve right now.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 03:06:48 pm »

If you want specific castes to work with certain custom reactions (as you mentioned alchemy) you can make the reaction to produce caste-specific toxic vapours to ward off infidels.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 03:26:00 pm »

Hey, that's a nice idea!

That means holy caste coming for dwarves!  :D

Edit: I didn't have to even make much changes, excluding the creation of new castes. I just needed to change the probability of cursed stone to 100 and set the new castes immune to it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:45:44 pm by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 10:05:19 am »

New version is up!

Lots of new stuff to play with, beginning from new items and expansion of religion aspect to totally revamped caste system of dwarves!

Short summary of what has been added in this version, the full descriptions and lists can be found from readme file.
  • 2 new nobles
  • 7 new creatures
  • 2 new caste types, male and female versions of each, in total of six castes
  • 5 new weapons plus ammo for one weapon
  • 1 new workshop
  • Several new reactions relating to the new items
  • Few fixes and tweaks

I won't be more new versions for few days, I just have to do some extensive tests before continuing the development (READ: I want to play with the new version of DF and this mod ;)), so you can safely download this version without fear of me updating it again immediately ;)

For those who are interested, I did some testing with one of the new weapons, sling, in arena mode. I had two dwarves, Dwarf 1 was equipped with sling and iron projectiles (100 projectiles) while facing Dwarf 2 who was equipped in full iron equipment. Dwarf 2 was not able to reach Dwarf 1, so it was just matter of shooting the target down. The result was that the Dwarf 2 was torn to small pieces before suffocating. So, not per say lethal weapon, but it can definately slow enemies down enough to make them die. For those who are interested, I included the combat report inside the spoilers. Happy reading (and laughing)!  ;D

Spoiler: sling test (click to show/hide)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod, version 0.1.6
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 04:00:28 am »

New version coming later today, as I found few mistakes I had made concerning the new weapons.

I have also made a blog for this mod, which can be found here. I will publish all my random thoughts and testing there, and commenting is them is more than welcome, though I ask that any discussions are done under this thread so that everybody can participate, even those who doesn't read my blog.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod, version 0.1.7
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 05:11:08 am »

Version 0.1.7 has been uploaded! I know it took longer I promised, have been too busy last few days. For compensation I also included one new entity, vampires, as well holy versions of iron and steel, which are designated to cause syndrome to vampires if used in bolts. Besides those there are few small tweaks and fixes.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 02:07:34 am »

I have noticed two problems in DFA:
First, the reactions of making holy iron and steel uses wrong production dimension, 15 instead of 150. That's why the metal doesn't show in reaction information screen when viewing those.

Secondly, the holy dwarves aren't apparently immune to all cursed stone syndromes. So far I have seen dizziness and failures of lung and hearth. Strange thing is that so far I have not seen any coughing of blood, pain nor necrosis to happen. I have not yet figured out why this is happening, as I have set in the immunity as following:
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:DWARF:HOLY_MALE]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:DWARF:HOLY_FEMALE]

Is something wrong in those tags? Both holy male and female belong to general poison class, which is the one the syndrome does affect. Still, I believe those two tags should make the holy dwarves immune to the cursed stone syndrome. Apparently that's not the case here.

Third thing is that due the block reactions almost every stone type set as unusable to normal reactions. Nothing I can do to that except remove the whole block making system, which I prefer not to do.

Lastly, the descriptions of holy and simpleton dwarves are not showing up properly. The game only shows the words Simpleton and Holy, but both descriptions should be longer. Haven't figured out yet what causes that, but that's small problem and should not affect playing experience much.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 02:35:40 am »

As I wrote in my blog, the current version has quite many bugs. Several features are only partially working, so I have decided to dedicate my time to fix those bugs before adding more content. Several smaller bugs have already been fixed, few big ones still remains. I'll upload new version when I have fixed those.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12