Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Remove clothes from all non-dwarf entities?

Yes
- 21 (36.2%)
No
- 37 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.4]  (Read 48914 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.3.5] - NOW LINUX/MAC COMPATIBLE!
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2011, 12:08:40 am »

Damn decisions decisions decisions.

I am only in the second year but am building a nicely carved out fortress with a building on top for my dwarfs to life in.

Just wait, the vikings should be knocking your door very soon. And they are not there for peaceful trading...  :P
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »

Starting out in the new version today.  I was doing some of my own custom modding (I confess, I cheat a little - mainly by making pack animals able to carry near-infinite amounts of goods, netting me more/better trade) when I came across the description of the Noble caste; it still declares them to be lousy fighters. 

I'll update this post if I find more bugs.

Also, I tracked down the source of my problem for stone evaporation.  Apparently, Windows Vista (I had no choice...) detects Dwarf Fortress as a threat when stone is evaporating due to temperature being on.  Also, it won't let me override this.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2011, 04:31:43 pm »

As a vista user I've never had an issue with evaporating stone in dwarf fortress. Might just be wierding out, and I haven't managed to get to evaporating stone in this mod yet but yeah.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2011, 04:51:27 pm »

Would u be ok If I did a Let's Play on this Mod?

If so that would be great ^_^. Gonna check the game out a little first and see what things are new and funs :P

Thank You

Ult1mara
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:26 am »

If so that would be great ^_^. Gonna check the game out a little first and see what things are new and funs :P

Thank You

Ult1mara

Of course!

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2011, 09:57:49 am »

I'd like to be in on it.  Although, with my computer being what it is, I'd have to be one of the first players...otherwise it'll be way too much for my machine to run.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »

I'd like to be in on it.  Although, with my computer being what it is, I'd have to be one of the first players...otherwise it'll be way too much for my machine to run.

Thank You

Ult1mara

Of course!

Thank you very much Kipi ^_^

And Talanic in on the Let's Play? It's not a succession fort it's just a Fort that I am doing on my own for Youtube ^_^

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2011, 06:16:46 pm »

Thank You

Ult1mara

Of course!

Thank you very much Kipi ^_^
No problems!

And Talanic in on the Let's Play? It's not a succession fort it's just a Fort that I am doing on my own for Youtube ^_^

Okay, a dumb question, but is Ult1mar and Talanic same person? Yes, I just came from bar, which means too much alcohol in my blood.

Nevertheless, if someone wants to use this mod in Let's Play/Succession/Story Fort I'm more than happy with it. What it means to me is that someone sees this mod worth of attention and wants to share their experience with others. Such fortresses makes a good advertising of this mod.
If someone makes a thread or youtube section they can post a link here and I'll check it out and perhaps put it one the OP.

[RANT]
Someone may question my reasons of making and updating this mod. Mostly I'm doing all of this for myself, I'm including things I want to see in DF. If someone likes this mod I'm more than happy. That's why, even though I'm always listening suggestions, not everything gets through to the released version. It goes just like metal music (which I listen). Most bands make a certain type of music because they want to, and if there is people who like their music it's more than enough. Same applies here. I will incorporate things I feel I like to see in DF, though I'm always open to suggestions.
[/RANT]

Okay, I think it's time for me to go to sleep. Too drunk...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:19:41 pm by Kipi »

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2011, 12:18:46 am »

I will be doing an LP on this Mod then dude thank you.

Also It is always fun to get drunk now and again. And no me and talanic are not the same person ^_^

Another thing, dont worry dude I will be posting the link to my LP of Dwarf Fortress Advanced onto Youtube and putting the link to here. This way it should be easier for you, as well as others, to see the mod for what it is, and also for you to know where I see things are wrong and spelling mistakes etc

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »

Yeah, it's fun to get out with friends at times. The bad moment is the one when you get home, just before passing out. And basing on what I wrote here last night (yeah, don't have any memory of even opening my laptop...) I was in quite... interesting mood.  :P

So sorry about that rant, can't tell what made me post it here.  :-[

Oh, and I'm not demanding anyone to post links to their forts here, everybody can make the decision themselves. I just don't have much time to follow community section for new forts and it would be interesting to see my mod in action, played by others. Who knows, I may be able to spot some bugs or other issues...  ;D

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2011, 05:20:12 am »

At the moment I have found a few spelling errors dude :). And is the altar meant to stop ppl from moving out of it if there isnt enough room at the bottom of it? e.g.

0---0                   ---

Where 0 = space and - = Workshop/temple

In the Second example dwarves cannot exit the altar

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2011, 11:51:11 am »

I must confess I put in a couple more castes, just for fun.  Juggernauts are like military dorfs on steroids, but can't do ranged and are very, very rare.  Quicklings learn very slowly but are extremely fast.  And Savants learn very quickly and have a high innate Teacher skill but have the physical stats of the Holy cast.

Also, I added the Dodge training reaction back to my version - it uses a rock as its reagent, with a 75% chance of returning it.  If I could make it have a small chance to bruise the dorf doing it, I would.

I suppose to be fair, perhaps I should create Juggernaut goblins too...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2011, 12:24:50 pm »

At the moment I have found a few spelling errors dude :).
Yeah, there are several of those. Care to be more specific?

And is the altar meant to stop ppl from moving out of it if there isnt enough room at the bottom of it? e.g.

Where 0 = space and - = Workshop/temple

In the Second example dwarves cannot exit the altar

The altar has working square in the middle, and the only "open" tile is the middle bottom square. Like the following

XXX
X_X
X_X

Where _ = passable square. Temple works quite similar but as it's "taller" it works as this:

XXX
X_X
X_X
X_X

So in temple the "statues" at the bottom corners are treated as impassable.

So, to answer your question, working as intended...  :P

I must confess I put in a couple more castes, just for fun.  Juggernauts are like military dorfs on steroids, but can't do ranged and are very, very rare.  Quicklings learn very slowly but are extremely fast.  And Savants learn very quickly and have a high innate Teacher skill but have the physical stats of the Holy cast.

Also, I added the Dodge training reaction back to my version - it uses a rock as its reagent, with a 75% chance of returning it.  If I could make it have a small chance to bruise the dorf doing it, I would.

I suppose to be fair, perhaps I should create Juggernaut goblins too...

Care to share the modified raws? Especially the juggernauts sound interesting, and with your permission I could think of including it.
And yes, juggernaut goblins could be a good idea, normal goblins don't have much chance even against group (2-3) warrior dwarves equipped in iron.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »

As yet, the Juggernauts haven't been tested - and honestly I didn't put that much work into them.  I mostly just altered (crudely in some cases) a copy of the Warrior caste.

No gender tag - I intended them to be kinda like dwarven mutants.  If they have actual physical gender, they don't care about it.  Very high strength, moderately high agility, incredible toughness, good focus and spatial senses.  5,000 is apparently supposed to be the maximum strength for dwarves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the caste definition, I left most of the definitions for Warrior caste alone, except for adding NOPAIN and attempting to make their skin be made out of Bronze (and three times as thick).  I don't know if that succeeded.  Also, they don't learn ranged skills.

These are supposed to be the guys you send at the vanguard of the army - the guys who shrug off crossbow bolts and specialize in nut-shotting Collossi to death. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2011, 01:42:58 pm »

There is one slight problem. The juggernauts need to have ranged skills learning rate to 0 to make them unable to learn those skills. If the whole tag is missing the game looks for generic learning rate, which is in this case 5. Yes, they learn very slowly but there after several years of sieges and fighting they would eventually become legendary +5 for ranged attacks.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12