Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Remove clothes from all non-dwarf entities?

Yes
- 21 (36.2%)
No
- 37 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.4]  (Read 48915 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod, version 0.1.8
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 09:11:25 am »

Version 0.1.8 has been uploaded!

Mostly fixes, though three creatures, one entity and improvements for training dummy were included. I think I was able to find and fix all the bugs, though please tell me if I missed something.

The changelog:
Code: [Select]
v. 0.1.8
   - New creatures:
      -> Mammoth
      -> Pegasus
      -> Vargouille
   - New entities
      -> Gnoll
   - Fixes:
      -> Holy steel name changed from "steel" to "holy steel"
      -> Fixed the building tag from sling reaction which prevented the reaction to appear in weapon workshop
      -> Fixed the platinum hammer reaction name.
      -> Holy iron and Holy steel reactions now have correct product dimensions.
      -> Fixed the problem of Primate noble position not appearing. Now Primates are assigned by mayor.
      -> Fixed the problem of "create green glass bed" reaction not appearing in furniture workshop
      -> Fixed the reaction ID of upgrading standard crossbows, which caused the reactions to not appear.
      -> Reset the vampires' homeotherm back to 10067 and fixed the [NOCTURNAL] tag
      -> Holy dwarves are finally immune to syndrome caused by cursed stones.
      -> Fixed the description of holy and simpleton castes.
    - New Items:
      -> Training hammer and mace
    -> New reactions:
      -> Ability to train hammer and mace in Training Dummy

Next I shall continue my project of making the world versatile in terms of flora and fauna. All ideas are welcome!

Note that the all the new creatures (and most of the creatures I have made earlier) are still missing graphics! That's one thing I'm going to tackle in future, but first I want to actually have more creatures before doing that. Though if you have any good graphics (must be DF 0.31.21 compatible!) I'm more than happy to use those. My graphical skills just sucks. ;)
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.2.0]
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 02:03:46 am »

New version is available!

Changelog for 0.2.0:

v. 0.2.0
   - New plants
      -> Grape
      -> Banana
   - Fixes:
      -> Holy iron and holy steel can cause syndromes to vampires again. Did not work in 0.1.8 due lowered homeotherm.
      -> Making holy water is now possible
      -> Hammer training used wrong item (training axe) and trained wrong skill (axe)
      -> Mace training trained wrong skill (axe)
      -> Dwarf entity missed the weapons training mace and training hammer
   - New creatures:
      -> Wild dog
      -> Prairie dog
      -> Snow leopard
   - New entities:
      -> Viking
   - New items
      -> Shields
          * Training Shield
      -> Toys
          * Long boat
          * Doll
          * Sword
  * Shield
   - New reactions:
      -> Train dodge
      -> Train shield
      -> Create training shield
      -> Study item inside display case
   - Tweakns
      -> Nobility
          * Set the number of priests to 8 from AS_NEEDED
          * Set the number of primates to 4 from 6
  * Primates are again assigned by priests.
      -> Allowed dwarves to butcher intelligent creatures

So far haven't noticed any problems, though still I haven't seen any gnolls anywhere. Either it's bad luck or something is broken.
Bananas are very expensive, and most of the times the player is unable to plant the seeds due biome restrictions. If that's the case just sell the seeds, there is nothing you can do with them.

I have also figured one certain method and one untested method of using the cursed stones as weapons. See my blog for more details.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

ninja137

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 05:04:56 pm »

How can I get rid of the phoebeus tileset and resizing of the screen? Other than that, awesome mod. But this tileset and resized screen are killing me...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 04:10:12 pm »

Sorry for missing your post ninja137, have been somewhat busy with my testing/story fort and it appears that if new posts is constantly made the thread drops back several pages rather quickly...

To your question, do you mean to use the vanilla "graphics"? If so, just go to data/init -folder, open the init.txt file (NOT the d_init.txt) and look out for the line with [GRAPHICS:YES]. Turn that to [GRAPHICS:NO] and the game uses vanilla tileset. You can also just use vanilla init.txt file from fresh download (the official game, not the mod), as the only changes the mod makes in that file are related to graphics, which you want to get rid off.

For further note, I'm going to update this mod to support the 0.31.22 version tomorrow, just came from work and it's already late here where I'm living. There were some minor bugs in the DFA 0.2.0 version which I'm going to fix as well, like strange icon for vampires (for some reason I had a tag in the raws that caused the vampires to use tileset icon instead of letter, causing the vampires to appear as obsidian wall...  ??? ::)). I will do some cleaning in files as well, the structure is currently quite confusing and there are some unused graphic files as well.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2011, 05:19:26 pm »

Training Shields makes no sense.

Training Weapons are made to damper the damage, but you can train with a normal shield just fine.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 10:53:08 am »

In many real-world civilizations the soldiers (and gladiators and their equivalents) used training shields while practicing. This was mostly because, like weapons, the training shields were heavier, and thus improved the usage of lighter shields used in battle as the weight didn't burden the soldier in the same way in battle as it did while training. This usually resulted faster reaction, and thus higher chance of blocking any incoming attacks with shield.

In-game perspective, yes, I could remove the training shields, but then I should also remove the possibility of loosing a shield while training. There are several reasons to that:
1) If I let the dwarves use any shield there is a high chance that they choose one of those masterwork steel blessed shields, and loosing one is just no fun.
2) If I narrow down the list of available shields (ie. copper only, otherwise I would have to make several reactions for same purpose) then the situation is the same as what we have now, just that copper shields have taken the place of the training shields I'm currently using.
3) The training with shields currently uses the training shield as reagent, and has 95% chance of producing another shield of the same material. This causes the quality of the shield disappear, masterwork shield turning normal shield. Not something everyone wants, right?

Now, I'm not totally against removing training shields, but I only do that if the majority of the community wants so.

On the side note, I have not yet upgraded the mod to new version, mostly thanks to Toady for releasing quick patch fixing the major problems of 0.31.22 release. Going to wait for Phoebus releasing his update first. While waiting I'm doing some fixes and tweaks I have discovered while playing.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.2.1a]
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 11:55:19 am »

Version 0.2.1a has been uploaded!

This version only contains the updating to Dwarf Fortress 0.31.23, no tweaks nor fixes is still made. Those will be put in the 0.2.1b version, among any fixes to the problems caused by updating.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.2.2]
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 12:16:16 pm »

DFA 0.2.2 has been uploaded!

The new version is updated to Dwarf Fortress 0.31.24.

Few tweaks and fixes has been also done. Changelog:
v. 0.2.2
   - Updated to Dwarf Fortress 0.31.24
   - Fixes:
      -> Removed [PREFIX:bubbles] from champagne
      -> Removed the CREATURE_SOLDIER_TILE tag from vampire
      -> Fixed some naming mistakes with golems
      -> Added the tweaked announcements.txt -file, which was forgotten from 0.2.1a version.
   - Graphics:
      -> Bhederin
      -> Mammoth
      -> Golems
      -> Ancient Dwarves
      -> Dwarves
  * Primates
          * Archpriest

Mammoth and golem graphics are made by me, though I used the existing graphics as starting point. I know those tiles are rather ugly, especially the golem ones, sorry about that.  :-[ :P

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.2.2b]
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 12:50:58 pm »

Quick update to 0.2.2b as I forgot to add the No AQUIFER -folder as well as fixed the problem of text becoming unreadable at times due the graphics and language_DWARF.txt.

I blame hangover and headache...  ::)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.2.3 alpha]
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2011, 02:02:12 pm »

Another release of Dwarf Fortress has been posted by Toady, so it's again time to update this mod to newest version.

0.2.3 alpha is the new version, it's labeled as alpha because the culinary -feature I have been making is broken (or the two reactions the feature currently has) and I wanted to post a update to new version before fixing and expanding that feature. The broken reactions can be found in kitchen, you can just ignore them.

Other additions in the 0.2.3 alpha are mainly making the vampires more powerful. Now they partially heal faster and are more quicker and stronger. You don't want to be surrounded by vampire wrestlers in adventure mode anymore, even if you have steel axe...  :P

I have also included new mineral, bone meal flux, which can be made from bones in crematory. Now it's not that big deal if there is no flux in embark location.

The full changelog:
v. 0.2.3 alpha
   - New minerals:
      -> Bone meal flux
   - Tweaks:
      -> Changed the displayed names of magma-safe reactions.
      -> Vampires
          * Increased the healing rate of bones, skin and muscles, making the vampires more difficult to kill
          * Increased the strength, agility, toughness, memory and patience.
          * Increased the population requirements for being attacked by Vampires.'
   - New reactions:
      -> Make magma-safe mechanism from metal.
   - New Feature: Advanced Culinary
      -> In alpha state, doesn't work properly

Note that I haven't had enough time to test out the changes properly, though I'm rather sure that everything else should work except the culinary things. Bone meal hasn't been tested out yet, but it should work.

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:13 am »

It seems you didn't include the mammoth graphics in the 0.2.3 package.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 02:28:22 pm »

Thanks for pointing out, updated version with the graphics coming out soon.

Okay, new version has been uploaded.

This version is final 0.2.3, I decided to remove the culinary section and rethink a bit more how to implement it.
This version also has missing graphics, as both golems.png and mammoth.png didn't get copied to the releasing folder.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:42:33 pm by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.2.3]
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 02:30:41 am »

I have begun reworking with religion system, mainly the sacrifice and praying.

What I'm going to do is to implement a rune system in it, and when finished all temple reactions shall use runes instead of sacred stones, while runes can only be made from sacred stones. More specifically, your dwarves first must produce some sacred stones, then they must turn them in to runes. Now, some things may become available with normal runes, but more complicated ceremonies (read: reactions) shall required combining certain runes to rune totems.

Later, when all this works in fortress mode well enough I will implement it to adventure mode as well, I have kinda neglected that part of the game more or less completely.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.2.3]
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 01:44:29 pm »

Oookay...

Just noticed one thing: at some point during this updating marathon I had accidentally left the modified creature_standard.txt away from the mod. This has one nasty side effect: All the new castes are missing as well as modded ethics. Now, the mod is fully playable even without these features, but at the moment every dwarf can be injured by the temple reactions.

The last known version where these changes were still present was 0.2.0, fortunately I still have that version stored in my other computer. So, new update is coming, but not until tomorrow. That update will also have the revised religion system as well.

Now, I think I know why this mistake happened. While updating to newer DF version I just copied the raws to the new version, and manually choose which files should be replaced and which should not. I think at some point I have accidentally clicked NO instead of YES while copying, so vanilla file wasn't replaced by the modded file. Shame on me!  ::) :-[

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.2.4]
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2011, 01:54:10 pm »

Version 0.2.4 has been uploaded!

First of all the problem with missing castes has been fixed, the mod comes with proper creature_standard.txt file. I have also updated to latest Phoebus' graphic pack.

Secondly, I have begun rewriting the manual. The new manual, which currently only has section of the revised religion, is published in PDF format and it's located in "DFA Manual" folder. The decision of going with PDF format is because normal txt format, which I used before, doesn't support but plain text, so no tables and such can be introduced. If anyone wants the manual in other formats (format I'm able to produce with Microsoft Word) just state so. Also, should I upload the manual separately as well, or is it good enough if it comes with the mod only?

Now, the biggest change in 0.2.4: The revised religion system.
From now on all the reactions in temples require at least one rune, more complicated ones require totems. Currently there are 24 runes, which you can produce in new workshop called Rune Workshop, requiring one piece of sacred stones. Runes can be used only in certain reactions alone, most of the reactions require turning runes to totems. Each totem is made of certain combination of runes, and each totem has own purpose. So, for example, if player wants to turn iron to rune iron (previously known as holy iron), player must first produce certain runes from sacred stones, then turn those runes to specific totem, which then is used in the reaction. Each totem/rune is destroyed in any reaction.

I have also removed holy metals (iron and steel) and instead added rune version of the "normal" weapon metals. The metals that have runic versions are copper, bronze, iron, steel and adamantine. Rune versions are more valuable and better in weapons. To produce rune metal requires three bars of the normal version of the metal and specific rune totem.

Now, the new system may be a bit unbalanced, and I know that the totems and runes should have values other than 1, I jsut have to figure out what values are better.

Enjoy!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12