Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Remove clothes from all non-dwarf entities?

Yes
- 21 (36.2%)
No
- 37 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.4]  (Read 48891 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.4.2] - NOW LINUX/MAC COMPATIBLE!
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2011, 03:15:50 pm »

So far haven't got the viking/vampire graphics to work, don't really know why. All I get is the default tile shown. Luckily it currently isn't crucial to get those to work.

I made some rough counting of the new reactions. In total the update has so far over 150 new reactions, over 120 coming from the training stuff. I think I should cut some of those reactions as not needed.

The question is, which skills would definately require training possibility? So far I have chosen all the weapon skills, shield skill, dodging, archery, masonry, engraving, all metal working skills, carpentry (really necessary?), jeweler skills, crafting skills and strand extraction. Is there any other skills which would actually need training?
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.5.0] - NOW LINUX/MAC COMPATIBLE!
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2011, 04:35:34 am »

Version 0.5.0 has been uploaded!

Changelog:
Code: [Select]
v. 0.5.0
   - Updated the graphic pack to Phoebus' Graphic Set 0.31.25v23
   - Optional Features
      -> Tweak for Dwarf Therapist which allows the utility to understand the castes better
   - Graphics
      -> Pegasus (elf-fondling human)
   - Tweaks
      -> All underground plants plantable every season.
   - New Reactions
      -> Make Vellum
      -> 18 manual production reactions
      -> 41 training rections
      -> Archaeological digging
   - New workshops:
      -> Printing press
      -> Library
      -> Archaeological digsite
   - New Items:
      -> 18 different manuals for trainig purpose

I'll start working with ASCII version now, shouldn't take too long. After I have done that I will start using it as the development version. This will also mean that in future I will first upload the ASCII version, then following with graphical versions if there is no immediate bug fixing required.

Also, as I stated in OP, I'm still looking for graphics for different creatures still missing one. Also, if possible, golems could use better version, though that's optional.

Speaking of graphics Vampires will not get one, so don't bother suggesting it. This is because next version of DF will contain vampires and thus it's most probable that I will just discard that race/entity.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.5.0] - NOW LINUX/MAC COMPATIBLE!
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2011, 06:13:14 am »

ASCII version has uploaded!

You can get it here. The link can also be found in the first post.

The ASCII version works the same way as Lite version, so you need to download the vanilla version of DF first. It will also be the most updated version, as I'm using it in developing, and the graphical versions will lag behind. What this means is that when I have got the ASCII version to the point I want I will upgrade it to graphical version. So, in future, graphical versions will be the 0.X.0 versions only. This is just to save some work from me and ensure faster updating of the mod.

Also, if you notice some problems with the ASCII version please tell, I only did some quick testing with it to see it working.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [version 0.5.0] - Now also in ASCII!
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2011, 01:16:06 am »

I have finished a new entity, called Caveman. They are equipped with wooden clubs and leather armor and WILL siege you early, that is if they survive from world gen. The sieges aren't that difficult due the bad armor and even worse weapon, so the meaning of cavemen is just to give some feeling of danger in early parts of the game.

Currently I have been working on another entity, sieger as well, which falls on the other side of difficulty. Don't have a name yet though the idea is to make them to be like fallen human, corrupted by demons of the underworld. Not sure if I should give them wings as I recall there being some problems with entities having wings. They will also have a special metal, which is more is kinda lesser adamantine, which they should be using in armor/weapon.

I will also delay the goblin attacks a bit due adding the Caveman. On the other hand I was considering enhancing goblins a bit so that it shouldn't be just a easy walk through their sieges.

I have also thought about farmable tree. It will have very long growing period but at least dwarves don't have to rely on caverns/surface just to get wood.

Religion will also get expanded a bit, mostly due the new metals I will add for fallen humans. Yes, you may get those metals through religion. I will also include all the drow-related metals to religion so that I can remove the Enable All Metals -optional feature.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.1]
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2011, 04:23:27 am »

First update to ASCII version has been uploaded. If you download it I would be happy to hear if there is any balance problems or bugs, especially with the new entities.

Changelog:
v. 0.5.1
   - Fixes:
      -> Fixed the population setting of Bloodfly.
   - New Entities:
      -> Caveman
      -> Fallen human
   - New Items:
      -> Club (Cavemen)
   - New Metals:
      -> Fell adamantine
   - New Reactions:
      -> Religion
         * Pray for darklight iron (TEMPLE)
         * Pray fot mithril (TEMPLE)
         * Pray for mithral (TEMPLE)
         * Pray for titanium (TEMPLE)
   - Removed "Enable All Metals" feature

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.1]
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2011, 03:19:34 pm »

Version 0.5.2 ASCII is out!

As the File Depot is down (hasn't worked during whole day for me), I have decided to upload the new version here.

As soon as the File Depot works I will upload the new version there as well.

The changelog:
v. 0.5.2 (ASCII release)
   - Removed "No Cursed Stones" feature
   - New Reactions:
      -> Religion
         * Destroy cursed stone
   - Fixes:
      -> ABUSE_BODIES from caveman entity
      -> 2HEART of fallen human creature
      -> LIKES_FIGHTING from caveman creature
      -> Dwarves being immune to several syndromes due missing tokens in creature_subterranean
   - Tweaks:
      -> Delayed goblins sieges a bit
   - Fixes (vanilla bugs)
      -> GCS not immune to it's own poison.
      -> Lowered the amount of pain receptors of bone to 5 from

So, there is two bugs from vanilla DF that got fixed along the way. I decided to go with 5 pain receptors as that was the highest value I could find from any other tissue.

Also note the new poll! Should I remove extra clothing from all entities except dwarves for the sake of FPS? Of course armor shall stay.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.3]
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:08 am »

Another ASCII version has been released!

Changelog for 0.5.3 ASCII:

v. 0.5.3 (ASCII release)
   - Tweaks:
      * Doubled all the GRAZER values
      * Gave all dwarf castes specific caste name
   - Fixes
      * Golems (normal and lesser) now use 'G' as tile instead of 'M'
   - New Reactions
      * Train strand extracting (library)

The grazer tweak is just to make it actually possible to have some rarer tame pets (elephants, for example). This also means smaller pasture area is required.

EDIT: As the File Depot seems to be down now and then I have again uploaded the new version here. Please use the depot if you can, that link is only for cases it doesn't work.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.3]
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2011, 10:19:59 am »

This mod seems great, I'm downloading it now. Posting to follow.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Advanced [graphical: 0.5.0, ASCII: 0.5.4]
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2011, 07:48:17 am »

It's alive! It's ALIVE!

Seriously, haven't been too active in the modding sector lately, mostly thanks to time management issues and Combatbronze community fortress. But I have returned and bring you another version of the mod, version 0.5.4 ASCII. It's the same version I'm using i Combatbronze, with few last minute additions.

The Link

And the changelog:

v. 0.5.4 (ASCII)
   - Fixes
      * Creating sacred stones from rocks now actually uses boulders as reagents.
      * Praying for food and praying for alcohol moved back to generic temple
      * Added the missing vellum making reaction
      * Removed the adventure reactions from entity file (not needed, caused double entries in manager)
   - Changes:
      * Religion:
         -> Removed the concept of totems. Now all rune requirements are gems
         -> The number of sacred gems required for specific rune is now shown in brackets
      * Castes
         -> Gave holy dwarves higher learning rates for medical skills
         -> Gave holy dwarves some natural skills in medical
      * All Exotic pets are just pets now
      * All exotic mounts are normal mounts now
  * Dragons have TRAPAVOID -tag now
   - New Features:
  * Display case with green class

The biggest change was the removal of totems and replacing them them with normal runes. Holy dwarves are also more useful now with the improved medical learning rates and natural skills.

Now, the legendary To-Do list which has been sitting in my computer since last update. The list posted here is just a small fraction of what I will be implementing in later stage, but these features should be in the next version.

• Mine Shaft
  • Farmable tree
  • New versions of temples
  • Flying Dragons
  • Adamantine production
  • Perchament
  • Quarters for all nobles
  • Treasurer
  • Crystal glass production
  • Second dwarf entity
  • Book of Prayers

Note that those are just working titles of the features/changes. I will give better description of each feature in following posts.

Also note that the next release (0.5.5) shall be the last release in the 0.5.x line, which means after 0.5.5 has been released I will update the graphical version of the game as well and publish the version 0.6.0.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2011, 02:04:36 am »

So, about the coming features. I will address each one separately, first the top three of the list I posted earlier.

Mine Shaft

I have seen this idea to be thrown in several major mods, though so far I don't know any major mods that actually implemented it. The idea is to have a special workshop called "Mine Shaft", which can be used to produce all kind of metal ores without actually mining them from the world. This is to provide at least some kind of source to useful metals (all layers filled with Galena veins only, anyone?) as we currently have no way of knowing the layers of embark location before actually embarking. Found a nice spot for a fortress only to realize there are no copper, gold, silver, iron or coal around? Happened too many times for me and Dwarf Fortress Advanced somewhat requires you to have some kind of defenses set up early on.

Now, the list of ores I will include in the first version are iron ores, native gold, native silver, native copper and coal ores. To compensate the easiness and perhaps cheesy way of getting all the metals the chances of actually producing any ores are fairly low. That means it's more or less always better and faster to actually mine those veins than rely solely on the workshop.

The current idea for the rates is that the total rates (ie. with iron ores the combined chance of producing any of the ore) shouldn't be over 25%. This may change along the way though. The construction of the workshop and all the reactions require mining skill, though currently no war picks are required.

Farmable Tree

This should be quite easy concept to add. Basically it will be a new plant which can be planted in underground farms and then harvested and finally produced to laminate in lamination workshops. This means no more tree farms, which are hard to control, and relying on caverns/surface. This would be especially good thing for fortress built in harsh biomes with only few or even no trees.

There are two things I must consider with the new tree; the value and growing duration. The value should be quite low, same as the lowest value of native trees. The grow duration is more a problem, as too long will make the farms more or less unusable but on the other hand too short duration will break the balance.

New Version of Temples

This feature was inspired by the Dwarven Lamination mod, which basically included four different versions of each workshop; one workshop for each direction. As the temples have very restricted point of access, only two tiles not blocked in altars and three tiles in temple, offering version for each basic direction should be a good idea. This one should also be very easy to implement as it doesn't require any new reactions, only copying the current altars and temples and modify the structure and finally add the new workshops to the religion reactions. Easy to do though perhaps a bit boring due all the copy-pasting.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2011, 06:55:36 am »

Farmable Tree

This should be quite easy concept to add. Basically it will be a new plant which can be planted in underground farms and then harvested and finally produced to laminate in lamination workshops. This means no more tree farms, which are hard to control, and relying on caverns/surface. This would be especially good thing for fortress built in harsh biomes with only few or even no trees.

There are two things I must consider with the new tree; the value and growing duration. The value should be quite low, same as the lowest value of native trees. The grow duration is more a problem, as too long will make the farms more or less unusable but on the other hand too short duration will break the balance.

This is already in the my dwarven lamination mod.  I updated it after you asked to use and added it.  I added bamboo as a above ground plant that can be farmed and can be processed to make a laminate.  I also added a plant that can be grown to produce glue and alcohol.  You should probably tweak the grow rates and value a little to make them more balanced. I have not had time to play long enough to do that yet.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:59:37 am by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »

Farmable Tree

This is already in the my dwarven lamination mod.  I updated it after you asked to use and added it.  I added bamboo as a above ground plant that can be farmed and can be processed to make a laminate.  I also added a plant that can be grown to produce glue and alcohol.  You should probably tweak the grow rates and value a little to make them more balanced. I have not had time to play long enough to do that yet.

Thanks for pointing this out. The version I used indeed didn't have the farmable bamboo in it. Though I was thinking of making the tree underground one. Have to check the latest version of the lamination mod out before adding the tree myself.

Mandango

• Bay Watcher
  • mayor cancels Destroy Building: Resting injury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2011, 02:36:50 am »

This has caught my interest, I'll give it a shot and see how it compares to Forlorn Realms
Don't forget to check that a live puppy not falling to his doom will also set off such a plate of course.
I'm not sure if I follow the logic here.  So... how do we kill the puppies?

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2011, 05:02:41 pm »

First, nice mod! Most stuff works well :)
Second, i have some suggestions.
Allowing only warrior caste to be militia captains doesn't work well. It interferes with: arming every dwarf strategy, disease prevention via giving boots to every dwarf, using wands.
One possible solution would be separating militia from standing army. Anyone can lead militia but only warriors(and/or probably nobles as they are supposed to be leaders) can lead army squads.
Third, i am not sure if its good idea for default config but pre-df2010 style nobles with fixed jobs would be fun :) separate castes - manages, bookkeepers and brokers. They could take larger % of population as well.
forth, pray for booze and mushrooms are in wrong order
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:38:55 am by utuki »

Shishimaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2011, 02:21:57 pm »

I'm currently playing with your mod and I have found a couple of bugs in the 0.5.0 graphical version:

- library and printing press becomes invisible when build (only step 0 of the buildings raw have tile and color definition)
- the advanced dig site is not working (the reaction "dig ground" has in the BUILDING tag DiGSITE instead of DIGSITE) Also the reaction file name is mispelled (I don't know if this make any difference)

If don't know if you have already fixed these, anyway keep up with the good work, I really like your mod!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12