Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Script Tileset for Review  (Read 782 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Script Tileset for Review
« on: February 27, 2011, 06:51:17 am »

I didn't see any script/calligraphy type tilesets on the repository, so I made my own.  It is a narrow (within the tile) font, so there is quite a bit of blackspace, but personally, I like that as it allows me to see my dwarfs more easily.  I haven't filled in some of the unused tiles yet as I'm still getting a feel for what I want to put there.  The tileset over all is relatively neat and gives a bit of a hand-drawn look to the play area/maps.

Tileset:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Title Screen:

World Gen:

Embark:

Arrival (I have varied tiles turned off):

Status Screen:

The only tile changes I've made
tile 1 & 2 - I wanted my dwarf tiles to be large enough to stand out easily, so they get simple right-facing smilies (I've been playing human fortress for the last few games, so they get these two big versions).
tile 23 - I didn't like the standard symbol, so I made it look more like a tree.
tile 28/29 - I made small right facing smilies to represent the other entity races (gobbos just get a 'g' character still), so both elves and dwarfs use these.
tile 64 - instead of the @ symbol I used a left-facing smiley so adventurers and guests of the fort (merchants, liaisons, etc.) will be facing the other direction than my own dwarfs.

I also shaded in the wall/river tiles and rounded them a bit.  Some of the other symbols I took some liberties with, so they may require a touch-up to a pixel or two.

Likes/dislikes?  Wide open on changes and will certainly want to use some of the free tiles to at least make more plant life, etc.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:54:47 am by Dwarfu »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Script Tileset for Review
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:02:07 am »

It looks nice. I can see why people would go for it, as the dwarfs realy do stand out. Although I feel their soft, bouncy circles don't match the rest of the set as much as I might like. But still, the tiles mostly look medieval-esk, so there is appeal to that.

I have some trouble reading it, but that is because I am used to wider text, so it's slim figure puts me off. Then again, I use this, so I'm not one to be fussy about how hard something is to read.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:08:20 am »

You ought to not shrink down your screenshots, as it offers a really poor representation of the tileset in action, and makes it look worse than it is. Saving in JPEG is also a terrible idea, as the compression artifacts wreak havoc on things made out of small, sharply-contrasted objects (which DF is made out of); use PNG instead, which compresses well anyway because DF screenshots aren't very high-color. Because of that, it's impossible for anyone to really judge the in-use quality of the tileset by the screenshots.

That being said, this is an interesting idea. It's a shame that we'll probably have well-functioning actual-goddamn-font support in the near future (but who knows when), so stylistic fonts like this won't see as much purpose.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:13:10 am »

...their soft, bouncy circles don't match the rest of the set...

That was a bit of reconciliation with myself - the sacrifice of continuity for the more primary goal of being able to make the dwarfs stand out in a glaring way.

You ought to not shrink down your screenshots...use PNG instead...

I didn't shrink them - I used PhotoBucket, so they might have - I'll update them in a bit and save them in PNG like the tileset itself.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:35:07 am »

Ok, changed them to PNG - I don't know how to keep them from being shrunk - I'll have to look into it later.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:25 am »

imgur doesnt seem to scale down images
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 07:55:11 am »

I figured it out.  Full size images now.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »

My only complaint now would be that a lot of the glyphs are a lot more narrow than is necessary. I would also say that some of the non-letter glyphs could use a bit of cleaning up, but I don't know how much that would compromise the style.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:32:20 am »

Looks nice. Though I'm more into graphic tilesets.

On second thought, such gothic-esque truetype font would look nice. Can anyone recommend such font?
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.