Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Stupendously hard games that may cause murder and/or suicide  (Read 7119 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Stupendously hard games that may cause murder and/or suicide
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:01 pm »

I recall a ROM hack of Mario called Super Kario World. Can't find the LP of it though.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2011, 06:04:20 pm »

Heh. Indeed. But no, it's not as bad as The Immortal. Almost. That game is basically Guide Dang It incarnate. You can die just by loitering in the starting space for a little too long. And the amulet you have with you from the start is a neat trinket. Neat, world-ending trinket. That you actually need to use at a few points.

Okay, that's REALLY WEIRD.  I was going to dig out that game tonight already, before you mentioned it.  Isn't it the one where they liked hiding items behind the isometric walls?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2011, 06:29:59 pm »

I have to agree with Hawkfrost that Kaizo Mario is difficult as hell.

I had my friends try it just to listen to their upsettedness about losing the first level in under 30 seconds.

I did the same thing, only it backfired when my friend stubbornly kept playing for the next four hours trying to beat it.
On a positive note, he is now awesomely skilled in Mario.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2011, 01:23:42 am »

Heh. Indeed. But no, it's not as bad as The Immortal. Almost. That game is basically Guide Dang It incarnate. You can die just by loitering in the starting space for a little too long. And the amulet you have with you from the start is a neat trinket. Neat, world-ending trinket. That you actually need to use at a few points.
Okay, that's REALLY WEIRD.  I was going to dig out that game tonight already, before you mentioned it.  Isn't it the one where they liked hiding items behind the isometric walls?
I don't remember that particular trick, although the game's full of other ones. It's basically an action-adventure RPG that plays like Space Quest. Unless you follow the proper path precisely, and do not, under any circumstances, waste spells or items where they're not supposed to be used(generally except healing ones), you're very likely to ultimately die.

Funny thing is, I actually managed to blunder my way through most of the game - dying many a horrible death in the process - but I couldn't for the life of me get past the last boss. I've managed to save all needed spells, evade/block every attack in its pattern, but since you use your entire spell allotment on surviving one such attack strip, I couldn't figure out what to do to avoid getting fried once the pattern repeats. Subtle hint - you need to use something BEFORE you start fighting the last boss, so that there is an interruption and a way to win between attack strips. It's something I NEVER would have thought of doing, and there's almost no justification for needing to use that thing at that point. Guide Dang It, indeed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:28:54 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2011, 09:27:52 am »

I recall a ROM hack of Mario called Super Kario World. Can't find the LP of it though.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BardicDragoon#p/u/163/X6YVkvEIBQU
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]