Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A Little Bit More Mod  (Read 11682 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Bit More Mod
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 09:10:13 am »

Wootz!

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 09:12:20 am »

What would you propose as a different name than Damascus?
Patterned steel works just fine. Because it's what it is (wootz steel works too, but wootz relates to the real world too; I've decided to call it "black steel" in genesis).

Patterned steel sounds good.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 09:36:30 am »

FWIW, one of the projects I need to accomplish before I can re-work my MMO mod is just what you said, figure out those new numbers! I have a general idea of what they're talking about, but materials engineering is a BIT outside my professional training, so I'll have to do a little research to make sure I understand the terms first. THEN, what I'll do, is take the relevant numbers, and make up a spreadsheet that will help me analyze the differences, and calculate the appropriate values for a metal that's half-way in effectiveness between Steel and HFS (or 10% better, or worse, or...replicating the old numerical scale).

Of course, I haven't even gotten started on that project yet, and it may be a while. But I'll be happy to share what results I have, when I have some! :)

Rochndil, who uses spreadsheets for everything...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37:52 am »

Spreadsheets:  They do it.

Thanks!  If you get any results, do share!  And if I come up with a working prototype, i'll do the same.
So far, I have the reactions and all working, but the material isn't behaving properly.  The hardest part is making it sharper, but inferior to steel as an armor.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 03:59:00 pm »

What about titanium? Just as strong as steel, but really, really light. And, in my game, a lot more valuable (I reduced the value of steel. I mean, all you need is flux (common) fuel (common) and iron (super-rare).
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 03:56:38 pm »

Good afternoon.

I was poking around in your mod, and noticed a problem. You add a reaction for the Anthracite, but don't add that reaction to your entity_default.txt file. Unless the new reaction is listed there under your active race, it can't be used. This is one of the reasons it's a lot more of a PITA to mod for DF10, since stuff has to be updated in multiple places a lot of the time. BUT, it does let you have much more granular control over stuff.

Rochndil, who has been playing with map generation, and found little or NO metal on most of them...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 01:39:52 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3857 as usual!

New version is up!  ENJOY!

If someone could do some blunt-force testing of Layered Steel, i'd appreciate it!  It should be a bit sharper than normal steel, but not as effective as armor.  If you can confirm (or deny) this is the case in exhaustive testing, it'd be appreciated.  My results confirm, but it never hurts to be thorough.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:05:54 am by janglur »

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 07:53:24 pm »

Had some quick questions about this mod ... what does it do exactly? Does it replace existing metals in a world with more useful metals? Or does it add more?  For example, if I find and area where I am going to embark, and it says "Shallow Metal" and "Deep Metal" ... am I still going to be stuck with only 2 metals (but have more of those metals)? Or am I going to have access to plenty of other metals? 

Does this mean I can now ignore any "Shallow Metal" and "Deep Metal" messages when I embark?

I am assuming this only works with new embark points, correct?

Let me know. Interested in seeing how this works.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 08:30:47 pm »

It adds new ores and metals to the game.  Check the readme for more information.

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:24 pm »

It adds new ores and metals to the game.  Check the readme for more information.

I checked the description on this page:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3857
...and that just has a bunch of updates (this metal added, that metal added).

Doesn't mention the metal frequency (does this add MORE metals to an embark point, more metals to layers, etc.), or anything about embark points (does this need to be installed prior to embark).  Is there another readme that I should be looking at?

So does this just add new metals? So, if I hit a place with a single "shallow metal," now I have a few other metals that could be my single "shallow metal"?

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 08:44:22 pm »

It increases the likelyhood of encountering iron ore due to adding several new ores that occur in different places than hematite, limonite, and magnetite.  It effectively fixes most maps' problem with civilizations not having access to iron.

It also adds a new, high fuel yield coal, Anthracite coal.

It makes Cobaltite smeltable, and thus useful for basic crafts and furniture.

And there is a steel+cobalt+flux+fuel reaction to produce 'layered steel'.  It makes slightly better EDGE weapons than normal steel (but nowhere near adamantine), but isn't quite as dense as steel and thus not as effective as a metal.

You will need to generate a new world after adding for them to appear.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 08:49:07 pm »

Cobaltite, since it exists already, is still smeltable without a regen.
I think, at least.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 02:22:38 am »

So I thought too, but alas, it doesn't work right without a regen.  =(

I was always annoyed that cobaltite counts as a metal but isn't... this fixes that!  Although without a healthy steel industry, it's as good as lead (but lighter... and dark blue!)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 04:53:06 pm »

I prefer Deon's implementation--better than copper, but only just.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 05:57:33 pm »

I use both this and Deon's cobalt/steel alloys.  One is layered steel, the other patternweld steel.  They both use the same elements to be created, but are different in properties.

I use layered steel for my giant axe blades.  Brilliant.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4