Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A Little Bit More Mod  (Read 11673 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Bit More Mod
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 03:44:08 pm »

New version added!

-------------------------version 1.2a-------------------------
Added Laterite.  A somewhat useful ore of iron, nickel, and aluminum, in small amounts.  You won't always get anything!

Added cobalt glazes.  Now you can have pottery in gorgeous cobalt blue!

Added cinnibar as a glaze.  Now that brilliant silvery glaze is yours!

Added Heavenly Steel.  One of the rarest and most sought after alloys possible.  But can it match adamantine?  Not really, but it sure beats steel!  It's production is rather difficult, though, and of course requires adamantine for said production.  Only viable if you want to stretch out your adamantine at the penalty of it not being as good.

Bug fix:  Minor grammatical fixes.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »

The next update (which is almost ready already already!) adds quite a lot.

I'd like to ask someone to beta-test it for me and, more importantly, I need some help making it a bit more organized and easier for people to install than copy and pasting every entry.  If someone can organize it for me, i'd be very appreciative, and of course include your name with a big thanks!

Next version adds varying values for minerals often used as semi-precious stones, and adds Azurite, an ore of copper that is more valuable as a light blue glaze (mountain blue) and jewelry or crafts than as an ore, unless you really need copper.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 08:54:31 pm »

1.3a is up!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 06:51:40 pm »

Sounds extremely useful, and will have the privilege of being the first mod I'll add without trying vanilla first. If you're looking for reaction ideas, how about one that creates slade blocks as a kind of "pig adamantine"? A reaction in the craftsdwarf's workshop to pair them up with a wooden handle and everyone has those slade warhammers they've always wanted, or is that outside the scope of the mod?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »

This is pretty neat, good job.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 08:08:26 pm »

Sounds extremely useful, and will have the privilege of being the first mod I'll add without trying vanilla first. If you're looking for reaction ideas, how about one that creates slade blocks as a kind of "pig adamantine"? A reaction in the craftsdwarf's workshop to pair them up with a wooden handle and everyone has those slade warhammers they've always wanted, or is that outside the scope of the mod?

It's a bit out of scope and i'd prefer not to mess with slade.  Thanks for the praise and ideas though!

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 10:29:07 pm »

Ok janglur I have now read all of ur mod and am ready to do my Preview write-up. The mod is a good idea and I would actually like to see more development.

I can think of a few metals that I would like to see added

1. Titanium - Light Durable armor but bad for weapons
2. Stainless Steel, if not already implemented - Metal alloy that is useful for making crafts and toys, high value.
3. Rhodium - Incredibly rare and expensive metal
4. Mercury - Good for "colouring" objects
5. Trinium/Tritanium - SG1/Star Trek - Incredibly rare and tough Metal that is next to impossible to destroy once refined
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 11:31:47 pm »

Ok janglur I have now read all of ur mod and am ready to do my Preview write-up. The mod is a good idea and I would actually like to see more development.

2. Stainless Steel, if not already implemented - Metal alloy that is useful for making crafts and toys, high value.
5. Trinium/Tritanium - SG1/Star Trek - Incredibly rare and tough Metal that is next to impossible to destroy once refined

I made this a few months ago. Similar premise, it seems, but this one doesn't add any of the working, it just has the data for every elemental metal that you may find in nature AND don't have such low values that they would probably be fractions (I.E alkali metals)

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 04:33:12 am »

Ahhhh ok Putnam I didnt realise someone else had created a mod like this. I am doing a Preview on this because janglur has asked me to ^_^.

I do not mind doing previews and reviews for every mod that ppl ask me to do

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 11:10:07 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Though I have to decline on the same reasons Toady didn't include them.
Titanium:  The methods of extraction would be beyond dwarven ingenuity and technological capabilities.
Stainless Steel:  Ditto, also redundant
Rhodium:  Ditto
Mercury:  Already implemented.  (Using Cinnibar to glaze gives you mercuric glaze)
Trinium/Tritanium:  This isn't sci-fi, it's high fantasy.  No.  =D  We have candy and my mod adds an alloy of it, heavenly steel.  So, I really don't see the need for something else.  Sorry.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 07:34:45 am »

Owwwwww Shot down in flames :( lol

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 11:14:59 am »

Owwwwww Shot down in flames :( lol

No worries.  I just try to keep with the fantasy-midieval atmosphere.  =3

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »

BUMPING

Since there's a review coming, I figured it's time to bring this back.  I haven't abandoned it, just been working on a few things, a lot of which don't fit in this particular mod's scope.  Anyway, now for YOU, the community!

What would you like to see me add?  You can either vote on something on the list below, or ask for something entirely new.

New Ideas:
Argenite (ore of silver)
Rarer Minerals (Gold and especially silver are too common)
Ores of lead (and only lead)
More ores in general (multi-metal ores, like Laterite)
Complex Alloys (similar to Heavenly Steel, but perhaps more complex)
More gems
Gelatin (made from bones, edible)
Complex Weapons [Such as lead-core staves and such, which require an 'intermediary' object.  IE, lead+iron= Leaded Iron Sphere + Log = Leaded Staff, or Log + Iron = Capped Staff, or Log = Staff, Metal = Large Blade (trap comp) + Log = Pudao/Kwandao ('Dwarven Halberd')]
Exotic Dwarven Animals (Such as a milkable mole, or a chitenous beetle, or a Cave Snail, a mollusk with a hard spiked shell useable for equipment better than typical bone and shell, but mostly harmless and edible.)
Parasites = (Varying sized creatures above and below ground with venoms and toxins to spice things up without being too FUN all the time)
Spoiler-Spoilers = Ultra-valuable substances, some useful, found only in rare or exotic places... you know what I mean.
More Plants = More exotic plants for dwarves' culinary tastes.  (I am also playing with the possibility of edible craftables.  Not sure if possible.)

GOGOGO

IN DEV:
A few bug fixes with current ALBM
Trying to make an omnigun.  A 'kid's toy' rock/shot throwing device similar to a crossbow.
New dyes
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:37:39 pm by janglur »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 09:46:14 pm »

I'd vote for: Complex Weapons [Such as lead-core staves and such, which require an 'intermediary' object.  IE, lead+iron= Leaded Iron Sphere + Log = Leaded Staff, or Log + Iron = Capped Staff, or Log = Staff, Metal = Large Blade (trap comp) + Log = Pudao/Kwandao ('Dwarven Halberd')]

Better, stronger weapons should require more worksteps. If they appear in the same menu in the forge as everything else, no one would make normal/weak weapons anymore. You could make parts, and then assemble that parts:
Produce (axe/sword/halberd/whatever) - blade.
Produce handle/stock.
Make both of them use different materials, in this case metal for the blade, and wood+leather for the handle. Then assemble them using "get_material_from_reagent" from the blade-part, to get the right weapon. Ignore the handle materials, because they are always the same anyway.

Essentially what you just wrote, I got carried away thinking about it, sry.

(rant) A point I want to add about the metals: Normal DF players know which metal is good/bad for a certain task. Noobs have to look up the wiki, to avoid candy cotton hammers... what I am getting it is this: Realistic metals are nice and fit the DF theme, BUT no one will know how good it is/what it is supposed to be for. Fantastic metals could have an informative name, giving the mod-user a hint. If you add an alloys for every metal, with a default adjective that is always the same, then people can learn it easier. Example: Black steel = better then steel, black bronze = better then bronze and so on. It is not realistic, but userfriendly. (/rant)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 09:53:25 pm »

That's what i'm going with.  Layered Steel = Better than steel, Heavenly Steel = Better than that, but not better than spoilerite.

I'm thinking of adding something like a hyperdense metal ore.  Something moderate in value and supremely annoying to work with-  like it would take a hauler a couple months to move.  The resultant object would punch like a titan, but your dwarves would turn into slugmen.  Otherwise it's just a better alternative to lead for fixing things in place.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4