Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's your favorite meat industry critter?  (Read 3571 times)

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite meat industry critter?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 08:54:59 pm »

You can protect the pasture by putting walls around it, but can you roof over it?

Or will grass die/not regrow?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:22 pm »

My favorite meat animal is the chicke--hahahaha who am I kidding, they don't even give you meat.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 09:05:39 pm »

The grass does regrow.  It somehow hadn't even occurred to me that my overland farm-protection would work for my ranch as well.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 09:08:20 pm »

Now I wish that there were shavable, milkable, egg-laying animals.  Platypus Wool Vest?  Platypus Cheese?  YUM!
Someone much better at modding than me should mod in the Dwarven Yaktapus.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 09:13:50 pm »

Most anything that can be milked or sheared.  I tend to butcher cows, yaks and buffalo quickly because they need to graze so much, but they all give a lot of meat.  Egg laying birds are great.  Oddly enough, I like elk birds too because they are rarely aggressive and fairly easy to hunt.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 09:14:56 pm »

Speaking of eggs, is there an easy way to have the dorfs NOT collect them aside from walling off the nests?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 09:16:24 pm »

Speaking of eggs, is there an easy way to have the dorfs NOT collect them aside from walling off the nests?

Forbid the eggs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 09:27:35 pm »

Don't have any food stockpiles that accept eggs, and disable cooking of eggs at your kitchens.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 09:39:05 pm »

Most anything that can be milked or sheared.  I tend to butcher cows, yaks and buffalo quickly because they need to graze so much, but they all give a lot of meat.  Egg laying birds are great.  Oddly enough, I like elk birds too because they are rarely aggressive and fairly easy to hunt.

I want your Elk Birds.

(They're actually fine if you either don't build your free Nest Boxes on the surface, or don't have the path between the cavern and those nest boxes go straight through your fort.  Armok, my staircase was covered in blood...)
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 10:45:49 pm »

Forbid the eggs.
I said an EASY way.
Don't have any food stockpiles that accept eggs, and disable cooking of eggs at your kitchens.
Ah, I'll try that.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 10:48:37 pm »

I want your Elk Birds.

(They're actually fine if you either don't build your free Nest Boxes on the surface, or don't have the path between the cavern and those nest boxes go straight through your fort.  Armok, my staircase was covered in blood...)

Have empty nest boxes on the surface but a bunch of serrated disc traps on the way up from the caverns.  The elk birds practically butcher themselves.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 10:49:55 pm »

I want your Elk Birds.

Have empty nest boxes on the surface but a bunch of serrated disc traps on the way up from the caverns.  The elk birds practically butcher themselves.
Better yet, cage traps.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 11:05:12 pm »

Or place several separated nest boxes in the caverns (seperated individually or in groups and seperated from those used by your own pets), and locking them off, by pressure plate, after an animal has come to nest. You could catch several different species, including elk birds, crundles, and cave crocs, while filtering out creatures that don't lay eggs and denying those lazy animal trainers and haulers a chance to do something besides building a statue of you shaking hands with Armok.

I always used a modded dwarven swine creature. Produced milk, meat, leather, and females served as decent war animals.

Now I combine them with goats. I should get some sheep/alpacas instead.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:21:08 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 12:05:38 am »

I had a nice musk ox ranch in .18. But once .20 comes out, I will be goating it up.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 02:53:31 am »

No love for alpacas? They're like llamas, but I think they're smaller. That must be why, I guess.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 [2] 3