Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nightly Builds?  (Read 1871 times)

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nightly Builds?
« on: February 26, 2011, 02:31:18 pm »

How about posting nightly binary builds for download.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: Nightly Builds?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »

All of the 3rd party tools (which many won't even play without, Dwarf Therapist as the primary example) have enough problems staying updated with the offsets at the current release cycle. Be a lot harder if there were nightly releases.

Granted, if Toady built a 'dump offsets' switch into DF, that would make this much easier, but I don't think that's going to happen.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:37:18 pm »

Aren;t all the odd releases actually nightly builds? Because the releases after the odd ones are mostly bug fixes

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »

It's not like there's a CVS project and 20 programmers checking in their daily progress at the end of the night.  If you look at the dev logs, it takes him a full day to put the code back together again and recompile everything.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »

IIRC Toady One wrote something about making a release, compiling, uploading and updating web-page takes a few hours each time. Also daily snapshots would be very buggy, and people would complain more. Current system works better.

If anything, I'd like more builds per release, including one with MMX + SSE + SSE2 + aggressive optimization options. In my experience it can speed up a program twice compared to default optimization. There would of course be issues with compiling libraries with those options, and maybe breaking some tools, but with such a release FPS would be higher.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral