Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Liquid Conveyor Belt  (Read 3359 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Liquid Conveyor Belt
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:43:41 am »

I built a small moat around the outside wall of my fort mainly to keep enemies far enough away from the base of my wall that my dwarves on the ramparts could get a good shot in. However, dead bodies, stray bolts, arrows and the like quickly accumulated in the trough, which I found annoying. So, I built a pump to empty the moat somewhat, so that my dwarves could grab the junk.

I realised that this had the effect of slowly dragging the items towards the pump, and into the shallower water, which made it easier for my dwarves to pluck things out. It occurred to me that you could use networks of troughs and pumps to make a conveyor belt, in which items could be dumped into a 'canal' of sorts and floated down to where they are needed.

I can't think whether this really has much of a practical application, but can anyone think of a way to make it useful? I think it could be useful for logging, transporting ore and such in certain circumstances. Would there be a combination of garbage dumps and/or stockpiles that could be used to automate the process at all?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Liquid Conveyor Belt
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:45:50 am »

There is a bug in fluid flow in DF such that objects pushed by flowing liquids will sometimes vanish from the map.  Those objects will still exist and will still be retrievable by a dwarf for stockpiling, but will no longer show up on the screen or interact with flowing liquids.  The bug occurs often enough that when trying to push objects with flowing liquid you won't get them to move more than a dozen or so tiles before they all vanish.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:58:27 am »

Oh that's annoying. Still, if that bug gets fixed maybe this idea could work. Critters don't disappear, do they?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:00:46 am »

If you have a Floor Hatch near the tiles that the pump is pumping from, perhaps you could open the hatch in order to drop whatever items drifted close enough to the floor below?  You would still have to retrieve the bits that are farther off, but it would take care of a lot of collection.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

On a related note, is there any way to gather up all these damn bolts everywhere and actually have them get restacked? As it is they seem to do stupid stuff like place one bolt per ammo stockpile tile so I just leave them all forbidden.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:34 pm »

On a related note, is there any way to gather up all these damn bolts everywhere and actually have them get restacked? As it is they seem to do stupid stuff like place one bolt per ammo stockpile tile so I just leave them all forbidden.

Yeah. Melt them back down into metal bars and forge another stack.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 02:28:23 pm »

I've been melting them but it seems very slow even with like 6 forges dedicated to melting. Seems kind of like melting a single bolt takes as long as melting a giant axe blade or something. oh well, guess I'll just keep doing it.

Note that melting is not exactly 100% efficient.....

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 03:00:30 pm »

A use for a liquid conveyor belt?

Have your moat run to an open space under your walls. Build a bridge in that space and raise it, so that if a building destroyer falls into the moat he can't get into the fortress. When your moat is full of crap, lower the bridge and activate the pumps to flush all of the junk into the fortress. Raise bridge and activate a different set of pumps that drain the collection area and pump the water back into the moat. Now your dwarves don't have to expose themselves to the outside world to collect siege related junk, and if you build in some additional safeguards the whole process could operate while the siege is ongoing.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 04:32:26 pm »

Yeah that does sound like a pretty good way to implement liquid conveyor belt technology. It's not really plausible with my current fort, but for my next one, I think I'm going to try something like that. I'm going to have a waterproof outer keep, that I can use to drown enemies, then drain the keep into some sort of cistern, into which all the bodies and junk will land, so that their junk can be harvested.
But .... It's so small!

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:22:16 pm »

Actually I read somewhere that melting down bolts is greater than 100% efficient. Is this still true?
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 05:45:47 pm »

Once I've used this. I made a system where dwarves dropped large amounts of refuse, and varied garbage (Nothing was rotting) into a channel. I then had a single lever set up that would lock off the channel fill it with water and push it all out into the middle of the ocean. The garbage waterfall was the most beautiful sight my dwarfs ever saw. Oh they all waited in joy for the day the garbage fall was to be turned on.

So yeah I used it to dump tons and tons of sewage into the ocean once a season for all my dwarfs to watch and get happy moods from.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 06:14:33 pm »

Back in my last 40d fortress, I built a mechanical conveyor belt using a gigantic, elaborate system of repeating retracting drawbridge in a carefully designed three-dimensional arrangement to fling debris from the killing pits adjacent to the main entrance bridges into a safe collection area under the fortress.  It worked, but cause a massive FPS hit when active, and took about a year to reliably transport everything from start to finish, which with sieges several times a year meant it always had lots of FPS-sucking objects being thrown around inside it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:27:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But .... It's so small!

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »

While reading this seemingly unrelated note to the topic at hand struck a cord with me.  This, a thousand times this.  Could Toady not at least take a few hours out of his busy schedule implementing pottery and beekeeping to at least make dwarves restack items in a reasonable manner, fixing at least one problem that has been outstanding since god said 'let there be light'.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also you sir, ought to be awarded some sort of prize for your awesomeness.  Perhaps a single diamond-encrusted elven bone bolt?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:58:26 pm by j0nas »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 08:17:20 pm »

That picture is fantastic. +10 internets
Pages: [1] 2