Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-bar smelting  (Read 874 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Multi-bar smelting
« on: February 26, 2011, 12:02:38 am »

I know you can make custom reactions for this, easily, but I know there's a way to do it by default as well.  If I want a breastplate to need 2 bars of metal, what should I tweak in the raws?  And will this require a new world to do?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-bar smelting
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 12:09:17 am »

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the reason many items don't currently take more than one bar to make is due to a bug. I don't think it's easy to get around.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:10:39 am »

Oh really?  Someone said it had something to do with MATERIAL_SIZE but I can't remember exactly what was said.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:15:19 am »

Yeah, MATERIAL_SIZE is the right tag, but it simply doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

That said, there seems to have been some research done into this, so maybe a little experimentation is in order.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 12:23:04 am »

Interesting read, that bug tracker.  Will have to mull it over later.

On another note, how to I change the value of an object?  The raws for armors don't have any mention of value multipliers, so I'm not sure how to change them.  Basically, I was hoping to change "Breastplate" into "Chestpiece", then add a new "Breastplate" that included pauldrons ([UBSTEP:1]) but have them a bit more valuable and require 2 bars.  It's looking rather iffy to get this working how I want though.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 02:17:50 am »

Yeah, pretty sure you can't change base value through the raws. You could create a custom workshop, and make a reaction that uses two x metal bars, but it seems to be a bit of a runaround for a single piece of armor.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 05:28:44 am »

unless this was further foobared in .19, 450 is the size of material size for a bar. In example for a breastplate to use 3 bars, I have it sized at 1350.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:16:19 am »

I know you can make custom reactions for this, easily, but I know there's a way to do it by default as well.  If I want a breastplate to need 2 bars of metal, what should I tweak in the raws?  And will this require a new world to do?

Despite what you have been told, a custom reaction, like you suggested, can use two metal bars. You can tweak it to use as many bars as you would like! However, as this is a piece of clothing, it will be made to fit a creature sized 70,000 and will be too big for most dwarfs. There is currently no way to change this beyond making your dwarfs bigger.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 12:09:00 pm »

I know you can make custom reactions for this, easily
You'll note that I said "I know you can" but I was hoping to avoid that, since it gets cumbersome and frustrating.

Also, I've heard that if you alter the material size to be 450+, then it does strange things when you melt it down.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 12:45:07 pm »

unless this was further foobared in .19, 450 is the size of material size for a bar. In example for a breastplate to use 3 bars, I have it sized at 1350.
What's with PRODUCT_DIMENSION 150 for all bars? I thought it means that their material size is 150.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository