Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Bay 12 "What instrument do you play?" thread  (Read 1609 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay 12 "What instrument do you play?" thread
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 12:32:18 am »

Alto Sax. The sexiest instrument.
You misspelled Saxiest.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 12:38:39 am »

Alto Sax. The sexiest instrument.
You misspelled Saxiest.
There's a special place in hell for you for making that pun.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 12:43:37 am »

QUICK SOMEBODY RAMBLE ABOUT MUSICAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS TO KEEP THIS THREAD ON RAILS

Actually I'll do it.

I can play the GB Tetris theme perfectly on piano, and I'm getting there on flute. even though thats the only song i can play well on piano at all

Actually I can't play much of anything that's not from a video game very well. Isn't that odd? I wonder if anyone else is better at transposing video game/used-in-media songs to one instrument than regular music.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:46:49 am by freeformschooler »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 01:08:32 am »

I play guitar. Mostly fingerstyle, folk and classical. I have a Fender nylon string acoustic-electric that is surprisingly okay, I just bought it because it was a cut away cedar top. It's about time to upgrade though, I'm thinking maybe Aria or Sierra.

I'm also about to start learning the keyboard. But that's more for theory and compositional reasons.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 01:08:53 am »

This is me playing my Fender Baritone Special, and then running the recording through FL Studio to add effects.

This is me playing my Roland Juno-G being recorded through a crappy headset beside the amp I was using. It was originally recorded about two years ago. I cannot tell you the exact setup I was using to make it, or even the notes I was playing at the time. All I know is it involved a lot of real time resonance morphing, a nearly maxed release setting, and a good deal of flavorful improvised playing.

I am not proficient with either instrument, however with practice I could probably be decent.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:10:44 am by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 01:55:51 am »

I play...

...wait for it...

...almost there...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 02:13:57 am »

Tahin plays Guitar and he is teaching me. He also plays a number of other instruments.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 02:15:05 am »

I played the clarinet at one point in time and also used to be a pretty bad composer type.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 03:47:41 am »

Wow I didn't know there were quite so many musical people here.

...I'm going to bed, it's 3 AM and my coffee has worn off.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 04:06:25 am »

I can play on the piano, the electronic keyboard, and possibly a full-blown church/pipe organ if I ever get access to one, considering I normally set the electronic keyboard to max volume, pipe organ sound, with high reverberation, and then play some good old baroque Bach on it. Though I wish electronic keyboards came with organ-like pedal systems...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:09:01 am by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 07:59:51 am »

I play the piano and drums.

I started taking piano lessons at age 7 or so, and played for one and a half year before I quit out of boredom. I wasn't really that good then, I had a very shallow understanding of music.

At age 13 or so I started taking drum lessons. Again, after a year or year and a half I got quite bored with it, but this time I stuck through and kept taking lessons. I never practised though, and it definitely showed. But I still kept playing for 6 years. Ironically, after 6 years I was actually getting into it again. I had found Muse (favourite band) and was quite impressed. I didn't actually start practising again, but I started to enjoy playing the instrument a lot more when I did actually play it. I say ironically because after 6 years I moved out from my parents and off to college, meaning I couldn't bring my drumset. Instead I brought my old keyboard which I've started playing on.

I've been playing on that with a passion though. When I think back over the potential wasted during my 6 years of drumming I almost get angry. I could be very, very good at the drums, but instead I'm barely mediocre. I'm not letting that happen with the piano, so I make sure to play every day and to aim high. I moved out roughly 6 months ago, so I've been playing the piano/keyboards for 6 more months.

For both the piano and drums I'd consider myself able but not good. For a person who has never played the instruments themselves, I'm probably impressively good at both. But to myself (and, I suspect, everyone else who can actually play these instruments) I'm little more than a rookie.

I'm better at drums than piano, but the one thing I really need with the drums is practise and routine. If I had spent the last 6 months practising on an actual drum set instead of on my keyboards, I'd be really, really good, I think. I bought a small practise-pad that I can practise stroke figures and stroke technique on, but I really don't use it as much as I should.

Some examples of what I (try to) play. I like playing solo-piano pieces by Isaac Shepard, and even though I'm really not good enough to actually play them, I try anyways. I can play all of All Smiles, the first two-thirds of Countdown and like a quarter (the fun part) of Sprinkle to rain. This is dashed with a variety of christmas songs, Muse piano figures and other small stuff.

For drums I recently decided to learn the Rosanna Shuffle. Even though I don't have a drum set to play on I play it on my practise-pad. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm making pretty good progress.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 08:37:16 am »

The school had everyone take recorder lessons in 3rd grade, other than that, I don't play anything. I was thinking of learning to play the guitar, but I don't own any guitars.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 09:13:40 am »

I play the guitar a little. Nirvana's Heart-Shaped Box is pretty much the hardest I can do. I suck at chords.

On piano, I'm almost somewhat good.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 09:20:00 am »

I play the drums, although I will perform in front of an audience with any untuned percussion. They all use the same principles, and it annoys me when people say that they play drums but don't play any other sort of percussion, because they're essentially the same thing; the only difference is that you hit one with a stick and shake/hit the other one with your hand.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 10:04:35 am »

Flute, although I haven't touched it in maybe two years.

Other than that, I can whistle, click my tongue, and drum on my desk pretty well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3