Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Work" weapons  (Read 1322 times)

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Work" weapons
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:47:38 pm »

Are labour-related weapons (battle axe and pick) hardcoded? Could they be swapped out or new ones added?

Would it be possible to create, for instance, a bigger and heavier 2-handed "Woodcutting Axe" so that dorfs aren't running around chopping down trees with a tiny little battle axe? Likewise would it be possible to add in new tools, such as a flail for threshing or a hammer for masonry?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: "Work" weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:52:17 pm »

They can use any weapon with the Axe skill as a wood cutting tool
for a pick you could probably just add the mining skill to a weapon for that to work
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:52:43 pm »

They are not hard coded. You can make a large hoodcutting axe, or a small hatchet, and use them to chop down trees. You could also make a large two handed pick axe and call it a mattock. Dwarfs will use these to cut wood and dig.

You can also have something like a chisel and give it the engraver skill, but engravers will not pick these up to use them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:05:33 am »

Note, though, that you can make a scalpel, define it as a weapon, and have it use the surgery skill.  Your soldiers will train their surgery skill every time they cut someone.  Or do the same thing with any skill, and have any skill you want trained via combat.  This can have interesting results.  In fact, I might make a weapon that uses Screw Pump skill, so that all of my soldiers get dressed in bright orange while off-duty!

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 12:47:26 am »

Does this mean there's no way to prevent dorfs from cutting down trees with military axes? Or digging with military picks? And also, does it mean there's no way to make a (for example) animal trainer carry around a whip?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:49:07 am »

Currently, no.
Were the great toad to smile on us all, he would make it so that you can assign more then a combat skill to a weapon, and dwarfs will activly seek out to carry that sort of tool.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:52:31 am »

Does this mean there's no way to prevent dorfs from cutting down trees with military axes?

They'll cut wood with any type of axe. Including halberds, if they could use them.

Or digging with military picks?

Picks are a different case to axes. Weapons can be slated as "DIGGER" items in an entity def, regardless of what that weapon actually is (you could have dwarfs digging with bows if you wanted).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 12:54:46 am »

What about digging bare-handed?  [DIGGER:NONE] probably wouldn't work, huh?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 12:58:35 am »

No, I don't think so. The token obviously takes weapons as arguments, but it might grab a couple of other things instead - I haven't tested tools yet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 01:05:53 am »

Could we dig with, say, a finished meal, or a wild strawberry seed?  What about toy boats?  Barrels of booze?  Live chickens?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 01:36:17 am »

As I said:

The token obviously takes weapons as arguments, but it might grab a couple of other things instead - I haven't tested tools yet.

The raw-defined items (weapons, armour, tools, toys, food types, etc.) are all defined under one header. It's really a matter of whether the tag looks for ITEM_WEAPON items specifically, or it just looks for an item regardless of the subtype.

Seeds/barrels/chickens wouldn't work as they're not "items" as such.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 01:47:52 am »

In .18 ateast, you could put a tool into a weapons place without it throwing errors.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 04:18:51 am »

So, I could mod in a set of digging gauntlets, have them count as gloves, and make all of my miners act like moles?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 04:46:08 am »

As long as they have the [TOOL_DIGGER] tag, yes, I think so.

I think the legend of zelda mod did something similar with "digging knuckles" for gorons.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 12:33:20 pm »

Unless I totally failed my spot check, those were weapons.  I think the idea was a brass-knuckle type thing.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)
Pages: [1] 2