Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't Stockpile option  (Read 1282 times)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't Stockpile option
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:32:10 pm »

I quantum dump. As does any self-respecting dwarf. However, when I unforbid my quantum dump, my idiots dwarves take items out of the dump and put them into stockpiles. They completely ignore these items before I designate them for dumping, and only think to stockpile them after they're dumped and unforbidden.

So... a Don't Stockpile mass designate option, like mass dump?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Stockpile option
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »

I quantum dump. As does any self-respecting dwarf. However, when I unforbid my quantum dump, my idiots dwarves take items out of the dump and put them into stockpiles. They completely ignore these items before I designate them for dumping, and only think to stockpile them after they're dumped and unforbidden.

So... a Don't Stockpile mass designate option, like mass dump?

So you want a new feature to make your exploit easier?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:56:00 pm »

Its "exploit" nature is pretty questionable, and besides, it's a very commonly used feature right now.

But...eh, I guess it might be nice to say "Leave this object in place, don't waste time moving it around".

...However.  For your quantum stockpile needs, wouldn't it work to designate a stockpile under your quantum site and tell it to allow everything? Nothing new will be moved into it, since it already contains objects.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:46:12 pm »

A 1x1 stockpile for "Everything" set on top of a 1x1 quantum dump, will result in anything there being "already stocked" even though it's stacked up, and this won't be moved.  This can be good or bad, as it means they'll leave it there, but also means they won't naturally move it to an actual stockpile if you have need of it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:03:57 pm »

Why don't you dump someplace inaccessible?  I know that's harder with the new channel being a ramp, but still doable.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 01:15:15 am »

Why don't you dump someplace inaccessible?  I know that's harder with the new channel being a ramp, but still doable.

I tried that, but it didn't work. Can you tell me how to do it?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 01:20:46 am »

Well, one good way to dump things somewhere inaccessible is to just make a door that leads under the hole and lock it.

But if you do that, people can't walk into the dump and grab stuff to use, which I think was what the OP needed.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!