Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sizes of Tools, Weapons, etc. built should scale to the creatures building them.  (Read 1067 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

I think that it would make sense for the sizes of the weapons, tools, clothing, and armor built by a civilization should be automatically scaled up or down according to the average size of the creatures producing them.(While this has been implemented to a limited extent with armor, it would be nice for it to be implemented with weapons too, and for the armor implementation to be polished up a bit (no pun intended))

This could be accomplished by adding a token to weapon, armor, etc., raws stating what size of creature the item is designed for as written. Then, at the beginning of world generation, the size of each civilization's items* would be set as the default item size, multiplied by the quotient of the average creature size (as defined in the creature raws) of that civilization's members divided by the intended creature size stated in the item definition.
(If the new token were omitted, the item would then always be produced in its default size, just as things are handled now)

*As well as sizes of creature that the item is usable by and size-derived calculations such as item weight.

Edit: changed title from "Sizes of Armor, Weapons, etc. built should scale to the creatures building them." to "Sizes of Tools, Weapons, etc. built should scale to the creatures building them." so that the fact that armor does scale to a limited degree would not lead to the assumption that this entire idea has already been implemented. Added parenthetical note in first paragraph
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:28:43 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that it would make sense for the sizes of the weapons, tools, clothing, and armor built by a civilization should be automatically scaled up or down according to the average size of the creatures producing them.

This could be accomplished by adding a token to weapon, armor, etc., raws stating what size of creature the item is designed for as written. Then, at the beginning of world generation, the size of each civilization's items* would be set as the default item size, multiplied by the quotient of the average creature size (as defined in the creature raws) of that civilization's members divided by the intended creature size stated in the item definition.
(If the new token were omitted, the item would then always be produced in its default size, just as things are handled now)

*As well as sizes of creature that the item is usable by and size-derived calculations such as item weight.

How is this different from how it works now?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Pretty sure this already happens.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that it would make sense for the sizes of the weapons, tools, clothing, and armor built by a civilization should be automatically scaled up or down according to the average size of the creatures producing them.

How is this different from how it works now?

Weapons and tools currently have a fixed size, for example, a cauldron is always
[SIZE:4000] and a whip is always [SIZE:100] (and can only be wielded by a creature of at least [MINIMUM_SIZE:22500]). This suggestion would make those sizes and size requirements scale to the creatures building them.

Additionally, while armor does scale to creature size to some extent, the way that it is abstracted causes it to always use the same amount of materials to build, (and to weigh the same, IIRC) no matter whether it is SMALL or LARGE or normal.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So you're saying, use 3ed D&D weapon scaling techniques, where a hobbit long sword is a human short sword is an ogre dagger?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

I did this back in 31.12, so I may be incorrect about this in the current version, but I did a quick mod as an experiment where I made positively huge dwarves so that I could send in untrained dwarven wrestlers into the HFS and see if I could wall off the HFS and stop any more clowns from spawning. 

When I did this, my dwarves were reduced to a crawl because even though their strength was proportionate, the amount of slowdown based upon the mass of their items was not based upon proportionality.  And my dwarves were wearing 20-ton pig tail socks. 

I had them make an axe, and it wound up weighing 65 tons (but still only took the normal number of bars).

These things are completely proportionate to the race making it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did this back in 31.12, so I may be incorrect about this in the current version, but I did a quick mod as an experiment where I made positively huge dwarves so that I could send in untrained dwarven wrestlers into the HFS and see if I could wall off the HFS and stop any more clowns from spawning. 

When I did this, my dwarves were reduced to a crawl because even though their strength was proportionate, the amount of slowdown based upon the mass of their items was not based upon proportionality.  And my dwarves were wearing 20-ton pig tail socks. 

I had them make an axe, and it wound up weighing 65 tons (but still only took the normal number of bars).

These things are completely proportionate to the race making it.

Question: Did the axe's damage scale in accordance? And did its size requirements scale in accordance?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

It didn't really say, it was just in-game.  I didn't use any sort of hack utilities to find out things like how much damage it was doing, and there is no in-game indication of whether a smaller creature could or could not carry it.  Besides, carrying anything, even basic clothing, weighted my dwarves down so severely as to make them nearly useless unless I ordered them to strip naked.

My pet Moo Moo Cows of Armok did most of the damage, since they were so much faster and more numerous than my dwarves were, and were set to be the same size and consistency as the dwarves.

I can put the save up on DFFD if you really want, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and also, I probably should have mentioned that for the purposes that I want to use this for, it is more important that item sizes scale down than it is that they scale up...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις