Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DigVein designation idea  (Read 1027 times)

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DigVein designation idea
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:10:26 pm »

I have an idea and I want to share it with the community.

Imagine a situation, quite an ordinary one, when you find a vein of some ore and want to dig it out. You see just some tiles of the vein, as more of them will be revealed after digging. So you mark the tiles, your miners come, dig them all and run away, before you can notice it. You need to pause the game and designate the stones, that have shown out, for digging. You miners come back again and it all goes on the same way.

I suggest programming in a feature, I call myself DigVein. This would be a designation, similar to Dig, except for one: when digging of a tile completes, it marks all neighbor tiles, that are of the same type of stone the tile had, to be also DigVein-ed.  With this feature a player would mark some tiles of ore, the miners would come and dig the whole vein automatically, without a need to control the process.

It would be OK to not consider Damp/Warm stone when excavating a vein for more FUN. So that's the Idea.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:15:59 pm by ivze »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: DigVein designation idea
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:12:14 pm »

Check DFHack utility pack
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »

Actually, that would be awfully convenient.  Frankly I wish I could just designate a whole area as "Dig if there is metal/gems here" and then mine out my exploration halls manually.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:22:19 pm »

Honestly, this should go in the Suggestions forum. And it's not like nobody wished this feature was in already...
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:27:46 pm »

Also include a force designation option on/off to avoid miners or whoever to stop their work if they encounter for example warm stone. No more need to change init files.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:31:07 pm »

Already in ESV.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Ascarona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 12:46:41 pm »

I have an idea and I want to share it with the community.

Imagine a situation, quite an ordinary one, when you find a vein of some ore and want to dig it out. You see just some tiles of the vein, as more of them will be revealed after digging. So you mark the tiles, your miners come, dig them all and run away, before you can notice it. You need to pause the game and designate the stones, that have shown out, for digging. You miners come back again and it all goes on the same way.

I suggest programming in a feature, I call myself DigVein. This would be a designation, similar to Dig, except for one: when digging of a tile completes, it marks all neighbor tiles, that are of the same type of stone the tile had, to be also DigVein-ed.  With this feature a player would mark some tiles of ore, the miners would come and dig the whole vein automatically, without a need to control the process.

It would be OK to not consider Damp/Warm stone when excavating a vein for more FUN. So that's the Idea.
As mentioned, DFhack pack has a utility called dfdig. It designates the entire vein for you.
Be sure to relocate your main dining room in hell as well, and make the obvious joke about it.
It's just immoral to let elves leave the map without being robbed at least a little.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »

This is also in the works for "some eventual update" but I wouldn't hold your breath too long on that one.