Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Mod Request] Immigrants without Skills  (Read 1286 times)

Duncs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Mod Request] Immigrants without Skills
« on: February 25, 2011, 08:10:01 am »

Hi all,

Just wondering if it is possible to make it so that immigrant dwarves arrive with no skills or only ever very low skills. I hate that my initial 7 dwarves become redundant after the first wave of migrants bringing in a few grand masters of various crafts.

So is there a way of me doing this in game? Are there any mods that do this? Is anyone able to make a mod that does this?

Thanks in advance

Duncs

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: [Mod Request] Immigrants without Skills
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:52:31 am »

AFAIK there are no mods for that, but you might try DFhack or something like that, you can change skill levels with it, i think.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:46:59 am »

I second this request. "No!" to glazers on maps without clay, "No!" to Fisherdwarfs in the desert!

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:35 am »

I second this request. "No!" to glazers on maps without clay, "No!" to Fisherdwarfs in the desert!

Yes to killing them?
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:03:05 pm »

Yes to killing them?

Only if it involves magma.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »

Killing them raises my kill counter leading to "Migrants have arrived, knowing this place may become their grave." etc. which is not an option for me.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:37:45 pm »

Settting skill rates to less than 100 will affect everything relating to XP gains and XP allocation. Skill rates can also be altered without a regen.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 01:25:29 pm »

Heh, I was just thinking of posting this very topic.

I would prefer it if all my migrants were peasants with none of the more advanced labours enabled. Not only would this add a little more challenge, it would make it much easier to see which dwarves I've assigned jobs to and which ones I haven't.

Somehow it feels wrong to be starting up an industry and have skilled dwarves handed to me on a plate. My dwarves should develop their skills through arduous trial and error.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 01:46:38 pm »

eh, you could try my mod, it sort of gives you that, and a little more... it certainly makes your starting 7 quite precious