Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Human Planet - A Show About Dwarf Fortress But In Real Life  (Read 1514 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Planet - A Show About Dwarf Fortress But In Real Life
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »

Has anyone else watched Human Planet? It's a documentary about humans and... How bad arse some people are in just their day to day lives. Imagine Morul Ironblood, Cacame Apebald etc but IN REAL LIFE.

Stuff like: Hunting foxes with a golden eagle that you snatched from it's mother's nest, scaring off fifteen lions with three guys and sea bed hunting for three minutes with a single breath. These are just examples of bad arsery. The whole show is made of this stuff.

On today's show, a guy walked across a tightrope across some of the worst rapids in the world just to fish for his family, a man and his two children walked down a rapidly defrosting frozen river in order to get the kid's to school in a six day journey and a group of people ran out of food in a certain part of the year so they dug up every turtle egg they could find (it was either three hundred or three thousand, still a hell of a lot), raised them through infancy and then released them back into the wilds so they could hunt them as they grew up and get food from them.

If you're not watching this, why the hell not? Go on BBC iPlayer or on a naughty site or something and get it from there. :p

EDIT: Also, it's David Attenborough, so it's worth watching for that alone.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:06:54 pm by Farseer »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Human Planet - A Show About Dwarf Fortress But In Real Life
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:27:06 pm »

Human Planet indeed. Sucks to be you, everything else on Earth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:34:26 pm »

Human Planet indeed. Sucks to be you, everything else on Earth.

That's mentioned in the first five minutes in the program.

"Humankind is the only species to expand beyond it's natural environment without significant evolution" etc.

Also, for the ladies, if you want to see "sexy" (according to my girlfriend, anyway :( ) guys run around topless and do manly things, this is the SHOW FOR YOU.

EDIT: This is the one with the apparently sexy guys. I don't see it myself.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:38:51 pm by Farseer »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:36:54 pm »

Good stuff!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:44:45 pm »

The falls in that video are amazing.  Not so enthused by the dudes, but the landscape... it's excellent.

Putting that on my list of things to see some day.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »

Putting that on my list of things to see some day.

You shouldn't watch this show.

Your list will quintuple. :p

How about the bridges woven from living tree roots in (I think) Meghalaya? :p That take lifetimes to form and last for centuries?

There's another thing the show did. xD

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:38:21 pm »

How about the bridges woven from living tree roots in (I think) Meghalaya? :p That take lifetimes to form and last for centuries?

That is pretty fucking awesome, I'll have to check this out.

Attenborough does some good stuff, even if he does kinda strike me as an Imperialist.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:51:16 pm »

That is pretty fucking awesome, I'll have to check this out.

Attenborough does some good stuff, even if he does kinda strike me as an Imperialist.

Here's a really bad video of one. In the show, it's a man and his daughter who he is teaching to weave a new bridge. "Your children and their children will use this bridge. And many others."

And what's wrong with that? :p

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:00:04 pm »

Those parts of the world would be incredibly rich if scientists discovered how to harvest badassery as a renewable energy source.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 10:02:49 pm »

Those parts of the world would be incredibly rich if scientists discovered how to harvest badassery as a renewable energy source.

Or managed to work out a way to distill it into drink form.

"Live with the power of FUCKING AWESOME in your veins!"

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:25:52 pm »

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 01:46:38 am »

Spoiler: Gurren Lagan spoiler (click to show/hide)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 02:11:52 am »

Holy shit if this was about DF then that spambot would be perfect.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 02:26:42 am »

Ooh, this looks like a pretty cool show; I'm going to need to check it out! Even though something that takes 3 years to build might not appeal on a broader scale, those woven root bridges are extremely cool. It's practically like something out of a fantasy book.

Also...
sea bed hunting for three minutes with a single breath

The secret is hyperventilation. Supersaturate your blood with oxygen, until you just start to feel light-headed, and then take one last, deep breath. Your body will use up the blood-oxygen first, and your blood PH will quickly balance out, so you won't feel lightheaded for long. Once the oxygen in your blood is used up, you switch to the stuff in your lungs.

Doing this, I've been able to dive without equipment for over 3 minutes, and swam about 80 feet underwater. I'm too buoyant to stalk the reefs like that though. :P

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 03:03:57 pm »

Terrible idea. Your blood is already quite well saturated without hyperventilation. What that does is artificially decrease CO2 levels below normal concentrations, which is the thing that makes you realize, "Holy shit, I need air." You can, as a result, black out without any warning whatsoever and drown pretty much instantly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_water_blackout
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: [1] 2