Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Brewing blood now possible?  (Read 3057 times)

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: Brewing blood now possible?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 11:10:51 pm »

not be a total douche but last I checked blood doesn't have enough sugars in it for yeast to convert to booze... Blood pudding makes sense.... but turning blood into booze is on the same level of turning water into wine... just the evil version of it I guess.
You're forgetting the high blood-alcohol content of the populations in Dwarf Fortress.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 11:57:32 pm »

Ideally, it'd be more "making blood drinkable" but that isn't possible in a direct fashion.

Are you sure a "BLOOD_DRINKABLE_TEMPLATE" couldnt' be made with the [ALCOHOL_CREATURE] tag in it? Or just add the tag to blood (warning, would make blood drinkable, as booze, by all creatures).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 12:05:23 am »

It could work, potentially, but you're not going to be getting it in barrels/containers anytime soon, and due to that the AI probably won't do a great job of figuring out how to use it.

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm underestimating DF's robustness (I've certainly done it before), and the AI's actually smarter than I think.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 12:17:35 am »

It could work, potentially, but you're not going to be getting it in barrels/containers anytime soon

Traders. I routinely get at least one barrel of blood in each caravan. Often more. And I think someone in this thread wrote a "meat squeezing" reaction for the new press workshop (for pressing honey. And nuts... hmm... We have the makings of a breakfast cereal here).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 12:22:51 am »

Aha. Yeah, I forgot about that reaction posted earlier. That lends a lot of merit to the idea.

To be honest, most of my predispositions on this subject have held over from 40d, but there we didn't have access to the actual materials of plants and things (so it was entirely impossible without a workaround).

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 12:33:31 am »

Of course, that just produces blood.  It doesn't make alcohol from it.  Although blood can be fun too, you can place the barrel somewhere, go in and forbid the blood, then dump the barrel (not the blood) and your dwarf will dump the blood on the ground and then put the barrel in the local dump.

Can't you just add the [ALCOHOL_CREATURE] token in the raws for the creature in question, in the section where the blood material is defined?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 12:36:37 am »

Of course, that just produces blood.  It doesn't make alcohol from it.  Although blood can be fun too, you can place the barrel somewhere, go in and forbid the blood, then dump the barrel (not the blood) and your dwarf will dump the blood on the ground and then put the barrel in the local dump.

Can't you just add the [ALCOHOL_CREATURE] token in the raws for the creature in question, in the section where the blood material is defined?

Oops. Just noticed that Flaede already suggested this...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:54 am »

To be fair, I suggested editing it in the materials section. I didn't know whether or not you could define that part in the creature raws. I am total pants at creature modding.
[/quote]

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 12:49:10 am »

To be fair, I suggested editing it in the materials section. I didn't know whether or not you could define that part in the creature raws. I am total pants at creature modding.

Should work actualy. Just drop the alcohol tag below the blood tag and it adjusts the material for just that creature. Doing it in the material template would result in every single instance of the material to be a drink.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 02:03:56 am »

Should work actualy. Just drop the alcohol tag below the blood tag and it adjusts the material for just that creature. Doing it in the material template would result in every single instance of the material to be a drink.

Good point. especially since the token has no arguments, so if it is added to the material template it can't be removed from the creatures using that template (or not easily removed, at any rate. I think that there might be some way to do it by screwing around with custom creature variation raws...)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 02:09:04 am »

CV_REMOVE_TAG respects the selection/deselection of mats/tissues, so yeah, it's possible via that. I wouldn't recommend trying to use it, though (I've caused hard crashes that way).

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »

(for pressing honey. And nuts... hmm... We have the makings of a breakfast cereal here).

combined with the topic of the thread, this idea is awesome.
Armok O's: For when milk just isn't bloody enough.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: 1 [2]