Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Brewing blood now possible?  (Read 3059 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Brewing blood now possible?
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:44:15 pm »

So, thanks to Toady and BEEEEEEEES, we now have mead. This means we can now brew alcohol from creature products. Our new task is to twist this to our advantage and create that fabled dream from generations past - blood wine. Let's get to it, dwarves!
くコ:彡

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Brewing blood now possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:29:34 pm »

Was thinking about making blood pudding, but due to creatures not having any actual tissue made out of blood they dont actualy yield the stuff upon being butchered.

One way around this I could think of is to make creatures milkable for blood, though this will no doubt cause trouble like ending up with a bucket of nasty blood when you just wanted some cow milk. Adding this to dwarves might be good for laughs, maybe they can even 'milk' their own blood, make booze out of it and drink it.

DF realy does allow some pretty nasty mods though. Could make for a realy nasty underworld mod, too bad we cant mod magma rivers.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »

Was thinking about making blood pudding, but due to creatures not having any actual tissue made out of blood they dont actualy yield the stuff upon being butchered.

One way around this I could think of is to make creatures milkable for blood, though this will no doubt cause trouble like ending up with a bucket of nasty blood when you just wanted some cow milk. Adding this to dwarves might be good for laughs, maybe they can even 'milk' their own blood, make booze out of it and drink it.

DF realy does allow some pretty nasty mods though. Could make for a realy nasty underworld mod, too bad we cant mod magma rivers.
Combine this with dwarves shearing off their skin for leather, laying eggs and then eating them, and you'll really have something. Self sustaining forts with only dwarves, no seeds or animals.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:56:12 pm »

I made a reaction to 'press' blood from meat.
If you want it add this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

to the meat template in material_template_default and add this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to the reaction_other file and add PRESS_MEAT to permitted reactions for your civ. the result is the same as the barrels of blood you can take with you on embark, but be warned it doesn't work well with ichor.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:05:37 pm »

Of course, that just produces blood.  It doesn't make alcohol from it.  Although blood can be fun too, you can place the barrel somewhere, go in and forbid the blood, then dump the barrel (not the blood) and your dwarf will dump the blood on the ground and then put the barrel in the local dump.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:30:41 pm »

You'd have to make a reaction to change the blood from LIQUID_MISC to DRINK.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:54:30 pm »

That could be pretty cool. Drinking the blood of Elves on every anniversary of your initial embark in celebration of Armok's endless kindness...in a temple dedicated to Armok. With a blood waterfall flowing in the middle, kept running with a pump stack leading from an elf-blood reservoir up to the top of the wate-er, bloodfall.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »

Blood waterfall arnt possible right now, even with a creature that is constantly bleeding (which is possible with the secretion tag!) you wont be able to have it fall off. The blood just lingers at the edge of the fall.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:01:09 pm »

A beer-fall, then.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23:38 pm »

Beer-falls are estimated to eventually be possible, but actually brewing enough beer to sustain the beer-fall is going to be a megaproject in itself.  Still, the happy thoughts will be enormous.  Urist McHauler has been ecstatic lately.  He drank deep from a beer-fall lately.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:28:38 pm »

Beer-falls won't work for the same reason blood-falls won't. Booze is not a liquid.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 10:29:59 pm »

Combine this with dwarves shearing off their skin for leather, laying eggs and then eating them, and you'll really have something. Self sustaining forts with only dwarves, no seeds or animals.

Actually, I'm imagining combining shearing "leaves", and laying "fruit" with plantmen. Who don't need to eat, and for whom drinking alcohol is suicide (totally allowed to drink alcohol, though. For the Lulz). Just need ingested poisons to work.

Milking produces sap which can be boiled into syrup. Different syrup by caste.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 10:52:14 pm »

not be a total douche but last I checked blood doesn't have enough sugars in it for yeast to convert to booze... Blood pudding makes sense.... but turning blood into booze is on the same level of turning water into wine... just the evil version of it I guess.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 11:03:54 pm »

not be a total douche but last I checked blood doesn't have enough sugars in it for yeast to convert to booze... Blood pudding makes sense.... but turning blood into booze is on the same level of turning water into wine... just the evil version of it I guess.

Plantmen blood? Is sap. Like maples give.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 11:06:46 pm »

The thing is, "booze" is the only access we have to anything resembling drinks. Liquids aren't at the raw level, so nobody can really do anything to those, but items are, and booze is an item. So there isn't a seperation of alchoholic and non-alchoholic drinks as of yet. Ideally, it'd be more "making blood drinkable" but that isn't possible in a direct fashion.
Pages: [1] 2